Neighbours to end this year

ter06

6 hours ago, ~Lynd~ said:

This could also spell bad news for the future of the show in Australia.The rating here are beyond awful and the UK is what was keeping it alive.I find it a little odd a full cancellation hasn't been announced since apparently channel 5 pays a large part of the production costs.

The article posted on here certainly gives an extremely bleak and sad impression. I’ve not begun to start to get my head around this…:(:mellow:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess The Sun have the Broken Clock factor in their favour, eventually being right.?????

2 hours ago, R@chel said:

Let’s hope another broadcaster can come to the rescue ?? 

But who?

The BBC wouldn't pee on it now and would see it as "a Backward step", Channel 4 would be like, "Sorry, that's not our kind of programme" and I REALLY don't want it on ITV who would exile it to late nights or ITV2  as soon as the ratings dipped ever so slightly.

Will Home and Away last much longer though?  Like Neighbours, production costs are - or at least were - largely met by Channel 5.  Whilst we are to understand it's a "lifetime deal" there aren't many lifetime deals that don't have an exit clause, even the one you sign on your wedding day has an exit route!  Life sentences in prison don't always mean life.  So I wonder how long until Channel 5 seek a route out of the deal with Seven.

I think the real issue is that soaps just aren't the ratings anchors they once were.  In the UK, drama has now become the ratings banker.  In Australia it appears to be reality. ITV are changing the timeslots for their soaps, EastEnders is in real trouble right now, I think soaps have simply gone out of fashion.

I don't see EastEnders around in a decade, and I think even Coronation Street and Emmerdale may see their times come in the next 20 years or so.

24 minutes ago, James Martin said:

Will Home and Away last much longer though?  Like Neighbours, production costs are - or at least were - largely met by Channel 5.  Whilst we are to understand it's a "lifetime deal" there aren't many lifetime deals that don't have an exit clause, even the one you sign on your wedding day has an exit route!  Life sentences in prison don't always mean life.  So I wonder how long until Channel 5 seek a route out of the deal with Seven.

I think the real issue is that soaps just aren't the ratings anchors they once were.  In the UK, drama has now become the ratings banker.  In Australia it appears to be reality. ITV are changing the timeslots for their soaps, EastEnders is in real trouble right now, I think soaps have simply gone out of fashion.

I don't see EastEnders around in a decade, and I think even Coronation Street and Emmerdale may see their times come in the next 20 years or so.

I hope not or how else are actors going get jobs.

Archived