Neighbours to end this year

ter06

To be fair, it's moved away from the "Bailiffs & Benefits" image a bit these days.  They are doing a lot of documentaries, and are particularly fond of anything with Yorkshire in the title. 

Maybe Channel 5 could do a soap like Neighbours, but set in a Yorkshire village... nah, it'll never catch on.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, James Martin said:

To be fair, it's moved away from the "Bailiffs & Benefits" image a bit these days.  They are doing a lot of documentaries, and are particularly fond of anything with Yorkshire in the title. 

Maybe Channel 5 could do a soap like Neighbours, but set in a Yorkshire village... nah, it'll never catch on.

Look there's already one Yorkshire show 2 channels up where you even can't fart without other villagers finding out about it...??

Sad for the cast and crew who could be without jobs for the foreseeable future. Those are the people I feel for the most out of anyone.

I've tuned out of Neighbours in the last few years because I didn't like the direction the show was heading in, but it's still disappointing to hear this could be the end.

If any soap was going to be axed first, I always suspected it would be Neighbours before H&A.

Channel 5 isn't the only channel that is axing soaps to make way for more drama.  BBC1 has axed Holby City for the same reason.  I don't think Eastenders is doing that well nowadays either and can't see it lasting that much longer.  Perhaps it is just that soaps are largely a thing of the past now with online viewing more of a thing.  Maybe they think nowadays people are more likely to watch a "big" drama over a few weeks than an ongoing soap.  I feel sorry for the actors who are out of jobs, but unless Neighbours has improved in the last few years then it was on a downward spiral for a while, (or at least I stopped watching as it seemed like the storylines were a bit silly)

On 09/02/2022 at 23:12, Homeandawayfan. said:

While fans are trying to save the show, I think the end of Neighbours is pretty much a done deal. Such petitions rarely if ever result in a change of heart from TPTB. Their company, their decisions. Like it or lump it sadly.

I always thought it was inevitable that H&A would outlive Neighbours.

The real problem i think is that Neighbours is only popular in the UK and i believe its only the UK that cares about its axing. If we were in any other country in the world i doubt there would be news articles about it everyday and petitions to save it, no one else cares. The UK fans seem to cling to the past a bit, remembering the Scott and Charlene days but those days are long gone.

I read that Freemantle don't want the show to be axed, and are keen to find a new UK broadcaster. Neighbours fans think this is a good sign. But then i read how much money they make out of selling it to the UK and letting the UK fund it, so of course they would like to keep it going, its easy money for them. I just don't see how it would be appealing or sustainable to any UK broadcaster in the long run, i suspect this is the real reason five have decided enough is enough.

I think a new UK broadcaster would have to spend a total fortune to have Neighbours. It is as if Fremantle are willing to cash in on the UK and let them do all the funding. As much as I hate to say it, we will have to accept that Neighbours is very likely coming to an end. I very much doubt it will be saved.

H&A's future looks quite secure for the foreseeable.

Archived