Early Years on Amazon Prime UK

jmford85

15 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Bobby being recast would not have been good for me, I'd just think of her as "Not Bobby". Like the recast Cody in Neighbours was a fake.

If Don Fisher was still a head at SBH today, no doubt the lippy students would reply with "OK boomer" to Flathead when he admonished them lol. Don is too old to put up with such crap now from pupils anyway.

You can't "recast" anybody! They will be detected as FAKES, I mean look at "Pippa". She was a prime example of that. And Roo. Another fake with no resemblance to the real one.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/01/2021 at 17:05, CaptainHulk said:

Sorry but Bobby was a one-off. There are just some characters you CANNOT recast.

I know, but anything is better than nothing. I would probably be the first to say it’s a terrible recast just like the new Roo, but at least we would still have Bobby on our TV screen. 

On 16/01/2021 at 13:32, Old H&A Fan said:

You can't "recast" anybody! They will be detected as FAKES, I mean look at "Pippa". She was a prime example of that. And Roo. Another fake with no resemblance to the real one.

Though, with YOU it's the reverse when it comes to Pippa! Hahahaha! They tried to be slick by putting Debra in the kitchen from a long shot but everyone knew about the recast (continuity announcers said so before). I'm guessing you didn't care for Duncan No.4 on his flying (no pun intended as he's now a pilot) visit in 2016 (Benedict Wall did a decent job of portraying a Matured family-man 30-something Duncan, IMO)

There's only been three real nose dives and they've only been temporary (Selina, Mitch and Ailsa) thank god.

Recasting is a necessary evil if the writers are invested in the character instead of cooking up a sibling/relative and giving that character.  And if they have co-star they can successfully play off (Debs/Dennis was a great roll of the dice and she wanted him as bad he did, that's not entirely acting in 1990/91! Plus their bedroom scenes were organic enough, well as organic as you could get away with in a primetime soap opera). Also if its a kid bar Sam or Sally, that requires an older head to play out more grown up storylines.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

At this stage, I doubt it. It's a shame because it'd be a nice way for people to legally watch those old episodes in better quality. I doubt the viewing figures for those early episodes are very high though and that might be holding them back from adding more. If anybody who likes more modern iterations of Home and Away gave these old episodes a try, I doubt they'd stick it for long. The production values, the writing and the acting in the first few months are pretty uneven and that's being kind. I didn't start watching Home and Away until mid-1989 and have been gradually making my way through the 1988 episodes over the past few months. If I didn't know that these earlier episodes were laying the groundwork for something I went on to enjoy, I'd have ditched it long ago. 

• 3 months later...

Archived