2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

3 hours ago, H&Alover said:

I may be misremembering but didn't Carol Cassidy go out to Aus looking for her long lost family and stay?

Yes and no. She went there (and the episodes were actually shot in Australia so guess Lisa Kay got a taste for the place!) but she was back in Yorkshire next episode.

Oh yeah, Home and Away.

Well...Tori continues to come across badly, not caring who she hurts and providing the latest excuse for Raffy to be stuck out at John and Marilyn's instead of going home.(They're really milking it now...)She now admits that she doesn't actually care about the hurt she's causing Ash and her family, so long as she thinks she's right.I can see why Ash goaded Robbo...well, actually I'm not sure I can.At first I thought he was trying to get Robbo to break his bail conditions, but it seems he was just trying to convince Tori to stop helping him, in which case he'd obviously vastly underestimated how blinkered Tori can be.He's still if not the right side of the line then on it, turning down Dean's offer to just have Robbo killed but not quite willing to just walk away from the situation yet.

Homicidal tendencies aside, I felt sorry for Dean here: Ash just leaves him to his own devices and I think he's quite right that Justin was just looking for an excuse to get rid of him.Still, if he has taken the Triumph, and I'm not really willing to believe his protestations of innocence on past evidence, then that's hurting Willow as well.I did rather like Brody and Ziggy looking increasingly ill at Justin and Willow's far-from-subtle sex talk. Nice, if brief, appearance from Maggie.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Ash said it best when he asked how he has become the bad guy. He is no innocent (I may be a fan but even I admit he can be a dumbass who picks the stupidest route when a problem appears!!) but what has he really done wrong that is unforgivable?

I feel for Robbo (apart from him showing no gratitude to Colby) but this whole 'Who is John Doe/Robbo/Breckett?' story has gone on too long. 

The fact Tori still doesn't get why Brody is angry is just bad. He actually tells her himself that it could jeopardize the freedom he has and she just blanks it. Did anyone catch her comparing their crimes but saying Robbo doesn't know his crimes? I'm kinda stumped on that, considering he has confessed to Novac & that happened post Breckett. Or am I missing something?

I like Dean... he reminds me of a puppy version of Heath. Pushing buttons but just under that layer is a good boy just waiting to bound out. He just needs the love of a good Colby character :P.

10 hours ago, Razabaza said:

That town meeting annoyed me. If I were Robbo I'd tell them all to F off. 

I would be all for that.  But unfortunately because of the lynch mob mentality of Summer Bay residents that would make life near impossible for him.  He's stuck there for the foreseeable and just going to have to suck it up.

I don't blame Robbo for going for Ash like that.  Ash taunted him about burning his house down but he was right not to do anything.  Ash isn't worth it.  I loved how Ash set up the whole confrontation in attempt to make Robbo look bad and for people (more specifically Tori) to see him for what he apparently really is but not only did it backfire but also made Tori more sympathetic towards him.  Tori is one determined person but Justin and Brody (more so) made perfectly valid points.  So it will be interesting to see when helping Robbo just isn't feasible for her anymore.  I don't quite get why he's going on trial.  If he feels that he deserves to be punished why not just plead guilty?  Not complaining of course but just seems inconsistent with his state of mind.

I did enjoy enjoy Dean winding Justin up last week but they can't seriously have him working there.  It's supposed to be a business.  Even if you put aside the fact he's a liability can they afford him?

So, Dean didn't take the Triumph.I guess it was always 50/50 but I wasn't expecting the reveal that a confused Russell was responsible.After this episode, I've decided I like Colby, a character who was in danger of becoming the new Nate.He handled things well with Russell and he managed to be professional with Dean and keep an open mind when Dean was determined to view him as the enemy.Justin probably did owe Dean an apology but I can understand why he didn't want to give one.I'm glad Willow defended him anyway.

The rehabilitation of Ryder continues: I wasn't too interested in his moping over Coco, although I liked the way he and Raffy sparked off each other, but it was nice to see him be caring towards Roo and not in a cocky manner either.And I think he did understand that it's difficult for Alf, who at the same time seemed to finally realise how difficult it is for Roo.Both of them had some nice emotional moments here that help paper over any niggling feeling that there must have been a lot going on behind the scenes in the 80s episodes.I'm not sure whether to leap on the clue John came up with or not, you'd have thought Alf would have noticed that 30 years ago so possibly he's already looked into it.

Actually I think the fact that the more everyone, that is Ash, Justin and Brody (we haven't heard Mason or Raffy's views yet) keep nagging Tori about her helping Robbo the more she likely she is to dig her heels in, so maybe back off guys she's going to stick by him whatever.  I can see why Brody is concerned about his good behaviour bond  being compromised but he hasn't got direct contact with Robbo and can easily avoid him. Another thing I can't see why Raffy should be in danger from Robbo, he'd never hurt her, in fact he rescued her from that Yabbie Creek/Mangrove River boy.  Not all memory loss stories can be cleared up in the blink of an eye, as in real life and I like how we keep getting little teasers of Robbo's old life before Beckett Reid. I got the feeling that Ash taunting Robbo that he had burnt down his future home with Kat may have on some level raised memories of his previous home being destroyed and I'm not all surprised Robbo attacked him it was cruel  and childish in a way ' I burnt down your house so there!'  I would have thought Tori may have mentioned to Ash Robbo lost his family in a raid at his home.

Robbo remembers he killed Novak it's the alleged ones he may have committed as Beckett Reid he can't remember, that is what the police and other authorities have to establish.

The Dean/Ash/Justin situation is complicated, Ash, as I've said before, doing what he usually does, giving Dean a helping hand as he owes him, Justin struggling with it as Dean is a River Boy (or maybe ex) and also Willow's ex.  Considering Dean can't do anything mechanical until he gets his licence, what did he do at his last garage then, once he'd cleaned up the place what should he have done, at least he didn't walk off and leave the place empty.  I had to smile at Ziggy getting her overalls in an uproar because she thought she'd been replaced.:D  I think Dean wants to be a good guy, but doesn't want to dent his River Boy image, it seems the only one he can be himself with is Willow as she can see straight through him.

I have to admit my first thought was Dean had stolen her Triumph, he was very admiring of it, but I did believe his protests he didn't. Anyone else's I could see him taking it, but Willow is an old friend and I didn't see that as something he would do. Now we know he didn't hope Justin can be the bigger man and apologise to him.  I know some people know the full story behind Colby and Dean, but not all of us want to know just yet, but very tense scenes between the pair when Colby was questioning Dean as to his whereabouts when the car went missing. Give Colby his due he did his job and followed up Dean's alibi thus clearing him. My second thought for no apparent reason was Ash had stolen it, but how did he get the key and why? Equally you could ask that question about how Russell got out of the home, made his way to Summer Bay, found the key to the car and was able to drive it considering he has Alzheimer's.  Did Ash ever meet Russell? He did remember Colby which is usual for Alzheimer's patients as he knew him in the past. Dean managed to make Colby feel guilty when he said he didn't know about it and Dean replied he might have if he had stuck around.

Ryder was a good guy all round, not getting too bent out of shape about Coco bailing on him, though I think Raffy's wise words had something to do with it. He even said he'd be the same. He was very sympathetic towards Roo once she finally admitted what the whole Alf and her thing was about and kept his word not to say anything just telling Raffy it was family business. Alf overhearing Ryder talking to Roo seemed to be  the decider to reveal more to her.  That was so sad seeing Alf sitting on the stairs and crying:cryingsmiley:.  That must have been so hard for him not knowing the whole story about why Martha left and he didn't initially 'obey' her instructions not to look for her. It must have been a hard decision for Alf, keep trying to find your wife who doesn't want to be found or look after your still grieving teenage daughter. She must have had help though even if she had clothes and money stashed away somewhere. Come on Roo, involve Morag are you mad? Yes she's got contacts others haven't but that would open a huge can of worms.  That ring sure is something you wouldn't forget and sent after the letter so definitely making it final. Good spot John but yes as you say Red Alf may have already thought of it, only way to find out is, um, ask him?

Okay, so it seems Alf never bothered to look at the bottom of the jewellery box, which is a bit unobservant of him.Good work from all concerned again, except maybe for Marilyn hitting John, however lightly, for doing the right thing.Alf seems to have struck a decent balance between thinking what Roo's doing is a bad idea and understanding why she has to do it, while Roo, believably, is suddenly a lot less certain now it's potentially in her grasp.

Ben's plan for Maggie's birthday was sweet, shame it's come to nothing.It would have been nice if one of the girls could have gone with her (bet they can't get a refund...) but I guess it's something she wants to share with him.Roo's room seems to be getting a lot of use while she's staying with the Palmers.Is that the first mention we've had of Jasmine being a nurse?It's been bugging me since someone asked last week: I remember her talking about David surprising her after work but I can't remember if she said what she worked as.

Okay, Olivia just going back to Liv Design as if the last six months never happened is just ridiculous.Are we meant to believe she got a contract without the exclusivity clause, or that Axel decided to be nice and not enforce it? There seems to be a rather perfunctory "Mmm, big business is bad, man" message but the Find never really seemed that exploitative, there was no big realisation, she just quit at random and somehow that's improved her creativity? You'd expect Hunter to be cursing that she ended their relationship because the contract was important to her and as soon as they break up she ditches it.It was certainly true that he couldn't hide the fact he was at uni from her, and inviting Jennifer along to make a point backfired spectacularly.A part of me thinks Nick reacted how Irene should have done to his charge dating someone named Hunter.Where is she meant to live anyway, if she can't go home on her own (yet can get to the uni...)? And what happened to her study session with Coco?Did she cancel?

Maybe by the time Alf got the ring he was past looking for Martha? :unsure:  Good for John tackling him about it and expressing Roo's doubts about following it up.  He put up a very good argument as to why she should go for it.  His journey to find about about his dad maybe have been different, he knew he was dead, but Roo may find out the truth or she may not, but if she doesn't go she will always wonder. I could see why Alf initially was wary of letting her go, but he'll be there for her when she gets back whichever way it goes. What happened though to her ringing the jewellers first?

So yes, Jasmine is a nurse, I can't remember if it was mentioned before either, but how long before she's got herself a job at NDH? She was spot on though about Ben staying away from Maggie be it hay fever or a common cold, her immune system is compromised, then she got the news her white blood cell count was down so even more reason for him to stay elsewhere. Sad about the aborted hot air balloon ride, but maybe as it's sickness and if the hot air balloon company has a heart they will give a refund.

Hunter was deluding himself that he wouldn't run into Liv at uni, I suppose normally they wouldn't as they are doing completely different classes, even though there was quite a big crowd for their open day - is that what it is called(?)  and so of course they have to run into each other though Mas didn't help pushing them together. I guess now she is back to designing for herself there is no pressure to meet deadlines, no-one else to run them past for their approval.  For a little while Liv and Hunter seemed comfortable in each others company chatting at uni. Nick hasn't changed at all has he, still comes across as a bully and slightly bigoted.  I'm remembering how he was with Leah when she wouldn't play ball with him over the sale of the pier and its surrounds. How did he get the skewed idea because his name was Hunter he must be a heavily tattooed biker?  Didn't look at all embarrassed when Leah put him straight either.  In fact Dean is a perfectly respectable name yet there just happens to be a River Boy called that. And while we're at it Nick, that usually 'belongs' to unsavoury characters too.  Red, I may be  being thick but I don't understand your comment about he reacted how Irene should have done?:unsure:   Nick was coming across as an ultra protective parent - single I note from his profile - widower - divorcee.  He did go totally OTT with Jennifer and Hunter, dragging off like she was six! Hunter had been perfectly sensible and not brought her an alcoholic drink, despite her trying to persuade him to do so. There is a lot more to their backstory than we know and she turns up at Hunter's asking to stay the night! Mason seemed to have and admitted he did, missed being at  uni.

20 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Is that the first mention we've had of Jasmine being a nurse?It's been bugging me since someone asked last week: I remember her talking about David surprising her after work but I can't remember if she said what she worked as.

As it happens I am  bit behind having been away and am catching up. I watched Jasmine's first episodes today - she spoke about being surprised In the car park at work, no mention of the type of work or the sort of place it was.

Alf's episode count this week:Three, and he was credited on Tuesday and Friday for no appearance.

Olivia made quite a few good points about Hunter, but there was no way he was going to listen to them so she'd have been better off keeping her distance.Suddenly we get a reference to Jennifer's mum, even though Nick was asking Leah out when we first met him so presumably single.Is her mother around but not living with them or something?I did like the interaction between Olivia and Mason, and also between Mason and Jasmine.Him needing a placement at Northern Districts to complete his medical training seems to be leading up to a contrived way for him to go back there.Good that he's going back to medicine but does that mean Willow has free rein at the gym or is he going to add yet another part-time job to his repertoire?It was a nice touch that Justin was mainly concerned about that while Brody was teasing Mason about Jasmine, even though Justin was again left looking like a gooseberry.

The Astonis' long distance breakfast was a nice idea, making Ben part of it without him breathing on Maggie.I'm not all that bothered about whether Coco and Ryder are a couple or not but they did both come across as likable while Raffy continued to be a good foil.I'd assumed Ben's assault charge had been dropped given how long it's been, I guess the local judiciary have retained their ability for only calling cases to trial at dramatically appropriate moments.

Archived