2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Maybe Ben thought Maggie's cancer  should be a family thing and felt uncomfortable that Raffy was talking about it to Coco & Ziggy, it may even be by not talking about it will mean it's not real. Yes it was her adopted mum & Hope's mum she was talking about, I think the dad was about then.  It may have been mentioned before when she first found out who she was but not in depth.  She more or less echoed what Maggie had been saying earlier about talking about her possible death  as a family.  It's not going to make it go away but by talking about will make them all feel involved and be able to help each other.  I did feel for Ben at the end, he's trying to be the 'man' and be strong for everyone, but I wanted to give him a hug when he broke down after talking to Maggie on the phone.:cryingsmiley:  He could lose the woman he's loved for over 19 years which may  be a long time for some but it's also such a short time when they are both still so young.

Well Alf & Roo can't say they aren't getting any advice and backing from their friends - namely Marilyn & John - without making any judgements.  I agreed with Roo he has had 30 odd years to get used to Martha just upping and leaving, but Roo hasn't!  He ought to know her better than that by now. Problem of course there is no-one around in the bay who would remember Martha.  The thought crossed my mind she could contact Colleen but she would have to be careful as to the reason why she suddenly wanted to know about her mum and how things were between her and her dad.

By the sounds of it Raffy is still staying at Marilyn & John's although the danger at home has passed.

I'm not sure Hunter was even thinking of Jennifer being a  rebound until Olivia sarkily mentioned it. Perhaps a case of 'I don't want him but I don't want anyone else to have him - yet'.He is a bit in denial about that, Jen does like him and is trying to give him a get out. Even Mason wondered if that was why he was with her and what happened to taking it slowIy. I'm guessing he is going to the local Uni so he won't be disappearing off into the distance. I had to smile when Olivia was ranting at Irene about how Hunter was being all cave man and carrying Jen over his shoulder and she was laughing, of course you would never have acted like that would you Liv?:rolleyes:

It probably has been mentioned recently but how old is Jennifer if she fancies 'older' men as in Hunter, VJ and Mason who admittedly in his 20's.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Four. Raffy was only in one.

So, I'm glad Ben pulled back from the brink and apologised to his family, although frustratingly not to the mysteriously absent Raffy despite Ziggy pointing out he took his feelings out on her too.I hope we get that some time.Coco was in full-on brat territory with her reaction to the idea of Ziggy moving out, and even though I was on her side, her doing exactly the same about Ziggy not moving out just made her seem like a hypocrite: What exactly does she want? It was very unfair of Ziggy to make Ben the bad guy and have him and Brody at odds again, but fair play to her for owning up.

So...are we meant to assume that Hunter and Jennifer, ahem, consummated al fresco? Guess he's learning the drawbacks of no longer having a caravan to use as his private sex den, not that it's slowed him down. He's now basically using a schoolgirl to make himself feel better, which is well and truly in jerk territory. I'm very disappointed at Olivia abruptly quitting the Find which was handled ridiculously, there didn't seem to be any reason for it at all and everyone's reaction, from Irene's to Axel's, was absurdly blasé. It felt like we were meant to see this as a good thing just because Olivia was smiling, even though she's thrown away everything for no real reason. I assume the golden handcuff deal is still in place and she can't design for herself or anyone else, so what exactly is her big plan? Wipe tables in the Diner for a couple of years and then have another go?

Okay, Tori is a complete cow now. She doesn't care about anything or anyone except getting her own way...and ironically, for all her snooty behaviour, she's proved DI Shepherd completely right when he said the police arresting Robbo would do no good because some bleeding heart would just let him out again.It's clear Tori was only doing it because she wanted to win rather than for any lofty principles as she pretty much admitted herself, that she didn't want to admit she'd been wrong and had alienated everyone for nothing.(And we still haven't got a satisfying scene of Brody or Mason ripping her a new one, despite it being in the promo!) So now she's dragged in some quack, whose credibility isn't helped by the fact that that's Nurse Carol from Heartbeat, who recently popped up in Neighbours so presumably she's doing a tour of Australian soaps.Robbo being let out with just an electronic tag makes no sense on any level whatsoever.If he requires psychiatric help, why isn't he in Mick's old cell at the psych hospital? The man's an obvious flight risk, he's escaped custody once indirectly getting one person killed and nearly getting Jasmine killed as well (and Alf and Roo if you count the gas explosion), and his turning himself in doesn't really count in his favour because he did that before and then changed his mind.

Hilarious seeing Olivia out of shape with Hunter/Jennifer embracing and yet another outburst towards Mason.  It seems as though Hunter is the only person who doesn't think that Jennifer is a rebound thing from Olivia.  I wonder what the average length of a relationship from a rebound is as opposed to normally.  Anyway I think it's a shame Olivia's decided to give up her job as it now seems her cheating on Hunter has been for nothing.  I guess it wasn't ideal working with Axel but she basically forwarded a valuable commodity and that is contacts within the industry.  She should have stuck the job out for a couple of years at least (or for however long he contract stipulated) then she would have met enough people to move elsewhere or go to another company and by then presumably she would have gained invaluable experience.

What's also funny is McCarthy getting fed up of seeing Tori at the police station.  Continuing to enjoy seeing her go above and beyond for Robbo.  I've questioned her motives but I would like to know what Tori's opinion on Robbo killing Novak is.  I imagine she thinks it was self-defense although it is worth pointing out that she claimed this whole thing was motivated because she was worried that Ash would presumably kill Robbo but she's OK with Robbo killing someone.  But hats off to her for pulling a rabbit out of the hat and getting in a professor to successfully fight Robbo's corner (Although hard to tell whether that's another Brit with an overemphasised accent).  It's funny because when Tori thought she had failed and Robbo was on his way to remand, she seemed more devastated than when Ash finished with her.  I wasn't expecting Robbo to be released with a tag.  I was expecting him to spend time at a psychiatric unit or something similar until his trial.  Really looking forward to seeing what happens next with this.

Lost sympathy for Ben somewhat after his outburst to Raffy although I wouldn't mind seeing an actual apology to her from him.  I really didn't like Ziggy getting Ben to do her dirty work although I would say Ben has come a long way with Brody given that he felt guilty at rejecting his application to rent the apartment.  Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly harder to see Coco as anything other than a pain in the backside at the moment in spite of understanding the situation she is currently in.

Thanks Christine, Jennifer's dad also handily answered the question.  But the way he was warning Hunter off her this week made it sound like she was 15 and didn't have a mind of own and of course was seduced by Big Bad Hunter!  Is he 19 by now? I thought they had persuaded him to rent a van?  Usually is the person who is in rebound mode who doesn't (or wants ) to see it.

I wondered about the contact Olivia had recently signed with The Find but seemed a lot lighter in mood now the pressure of getting her designs in by a certain dead line has gone and as she said could get back to designing for herself, though as you mentioned Red what about the golden handcuffs clause, does that cover her working for herself?

Ben could of course apologised off screen?:unsure:   Was more than a touch ironic Ziggy asking Ben to turn Brody down the lease of the flat when just a couple of months ago he would have been more than happy to do just that of his own accord. He looked quite embarrassed saying no to Brody.  Coco got totally the wrong end of the stick as she only overheard, by accident, part of the conversation between Ziggy  and Brody, could be she didn't want to be left home alone with Ben & Maggie while Maggie is going through her chemo, if there are two of you sisterhood wise, it is easier to deal with. Actually now that Ziggy has owned up to Brody, glad she did would have made nonsense of them not keeping  secrets from each other, she was behind Ben turning him down what's to stop him still having the lease now? Btw was is just me  or did anyone else have the feeling there is more to Maggie's cancer being behind Ziggy not wanting to move in with Brody?

Did we all blink and miss something in between Robbo waiting to be sent off to remand and him walking free so to speak on bail awaiting a psych evaluation I'm assuming.  That's going to go down well with Ash just as he has calmed down thinking Robbo is on his way to a remand centre.  Guess ex nurse Carol, good spot there Red, who must have retrained as a professor in psychiatry.  Going off on a tangent do we need another blonde? Tori I think is  in denial about why she is so intent on helping Robbo to the danger of alienating her family.  I don't believe he is still a flight risk, his sole reason for being one has died. Imo Robbo did kill Novak in self defence even though we didn't see it. Unless Robbo is the worlds best actor I still believe his memory loss story. The locals look like they have turned into lynch mob mode ready with pitch forks and burning torches, when  not long ago before they found about him being Beckett Reid they were on his side as he was such a good guy. Where is Robbo going to be staying btw?

Oh my days.... Am I seriously supposed to be finding this Robbo/Tori crap endearing. I understand completely why people are angry he is on bail, considering he admitted he has killed & as far as they know he is a contract killer. As for Tori telling everyone to get over it. At this point I dislike her more than Robbo.

And I am still more sympathetic towards Ash. This throwing character A under the bus for character B is seriously putting me off the show. 

I am basically still here for Buddy & the hilarious subtext of Dean & Colby that I bloody hope doesn't disappear. 

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:26, H&Alover said:

Is he 19 by now?

Given that he was 18 in late 2016, probably.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:26, H&Alover said:

Guess ex nurse Carol, good spot there Red, who must have retrained as a professor in psychiatry. 

As well as time travelling from the 1960s.

Tori is now an utterly disgusting character, smug and arrogant and utterly incapable of caring for anyone else, including Robbo who she's just stuffing things up for.She whines about him being kicked out on the street when she's the one that made it happen.She didn't want the police keeping Robbo in custody so what did she expect them to do? Put him up in a nice three-bedroom house with a big garden at the taxpayer's expense? (Of course, it's utterly ridiculous that Robbo would be allowed out on bail with no address, along with all the other reasons why him being allowed out on bail is utterly ridiculous.He wasn't exactly in a rush to hand himself in when Kat died: If he hadn't found that photo, he'd be in another state by now, and I doubt that tag will stop him if he really wants to run.)So now Colby has to clear up the mess that Tori's made while she acts self-righteous and insists that she's right and everyone else is wrong, including Robbo himself.Forcing him to eat in the Diner when neither he nor anyone else wanted him to be there was just the height of self-centredness.And she's still reeling out that line about doing it to protect Ash, which isn't even debatable now: If she wanted to protect Ash, she'd have left Robbo in custody, not thrust him in Ash's face to provoke him when he was finally beginning to be at peace with what's happened.I do have some sympathy for Robbo and can see why people were swayed by his speech, but if he was really righteous he'd have refused bail, not let Tori turn him into her personal crusade.

Okay, so now we're back to Martha dying in 1985, which just increases the feeling that no-one has a clue what the story's meant to be and it's all a dramatic reveal with no substance.Mind you, if the police at the time were like Colby and his barmy "It must be a hoax" theory, then it's no wonder they came to the wrong conclusion.Throw in a death certificate which probably shouldn't exist and no details whatsoever beyond "They must have been certain" and the suspension of disbelief is in danger of falling off Stewarts Point.

I really admire the way Tori appears to be the only person who is sticking up for Robbo and actually treating him like a human being.  I do have to admit some of the reactions of the various residents to Robbo being out on bail were hilarious.  Although I couldn't believe John "The Firestarter/pyromaniac" Palmer who seemed to be the most vocal.  It wasn't too long ago where he was in a similar position i.e. was also ill and committing criminal acts.  Apart from Ash, what are they actually annoyed at Robbo for?  Kat's death which she herself was responsible for or killing Novak if let's be honest was a cold blooded murderer and would have stopped at nothing to kill Kat.  They also seem to have short memories as he saved Raffy, Brody and Ziggy although I suppose Ben doesn't really care about that anymore.  So I'm meant to assume from the last couple of episodes this is some sort of crusade to her.  I still don't find it very believable as the crusade has affected other people close to her such as Ash, Justin etc.  I also didn't buy her when she reiterated this was all to protect Ash.  It just feels like she is saying this to rationalise what she is doing which I guess she acknowledges at some level is ridiculous.  Although I'm not too bothered myself why she is doing it but that she just keeps helping him.  It was mentioned in this thread previously that Robbo was a regular so I did wonder how they were going to keep him in the show but I guess we know now.  I was a little disappointed with Leah as I was hoping she would have more compassion for Robbo but I guess with Jasmine's stalker she's understandably worried for her safety and doesn't want to take any chances.  Alf was extremely judgemental but he often can be.  Ash was highly amusing again going for Robbo and he was lucky Robbo didn't fight back.  One on one, Ash's street fighting vs Robbo's combat he wouldn't have a chance.  I think it's wonderful that given that he's figured out Tori was solely responsible for Robbo being let out on bail he feels betrayed by the person who was previously closest to him.  I'm really enjoying how out of shape Ash is about that and at Robbo being around and in his face.  Hope his suffering continues...

I thought the same as Slade. John Palmer going on and on and on about Robbo not being safe and gearing half the town up against him when he knows exactly how that feels. Maybe that’s deliberately done so it helps the audience build sympathy for Robbo? I dunno, but I would’ve thought John would look at things differently, and I extend that to a degree to Marilyn also. She was funny today though with her little mazisms though. That was nice.

Im utterly confused about Tori. I just can’t relate or even reason with her way of thinking. 

Robbo moving into the apartment with Colby seemed a little odd at first but Colby made sure he knew his place. That should be an interesting dynamic. I hope the trial date isn’t too far out. I suspect it won’t 

could Martha be dead after all? I hope not as this whole thing was a bit odd otherwise.

Carol/Professor Pickford has aged well then!:D  I may be misremembering but didn't Carol Cassidy go out to Aus looking for her long lost family and stay?

I'm probably biased as I do like him but I'm on team Robbo. At least we and Tori got an explanation as to why he was out on bail, was very last minute by the sound of the things. Was surprised it was without him having a place to go to. I'm guessing, we're all doing a lot of that, there wasn't a vacancy in a secure hospital so this was the next best thing, but why home him in Summer Bay what's wrong with Yabbie Creek? Is there no such thing as a bail hostel anywhere local? It was never going to go down well with Ash, understandably so, so just as well John gave him the heads up so it didn't come as  shock to suddenly turn a corner and bump into him. Hell it was a shock for John, Max and Alf when they heard and refused to believe it until they saw him coming down the stairs from Kat's place. Of course Ash completely ignored John's advice not to do anything stupid.  I'm not saying all small towns have that lynch mob mentality but it does happen a lot in the bay, pitchforks and flaming torches ready at the drop of   a hat. Definitely you would think John would be more understanding having been there, done that, got the t-shirt, short memories they have in the bay. Alf too, in the past has defended those found guilty before being proved innocent, last one being John in fact.  Marilyn herself fancied Robbo when he first came to the bay, giving him the once over. And yes Alf can be very judgemental without knowing the full facts. Exactly Slade they have conveniently forgotten how Robbo saved Raffy, helped Coco, rescued Kat, Ziggy and Brody and been a good citizen of the bay. Although I admire Tori for sticking by Robbo but her line about it being all about 'protecting' Ash which may have ben true originally, is wearing thin. Mind you he's not helping by now accusing not only Tori but her friend/mentor being taken in by Robbo, is it because she's a woman so has to be swayed by Robbo's previous good nature and the fact he's quite hot! He did give a pretty impassioned speech about how he completely understood why folk didn't trust him, but it was out of his control being there and  all he could do is promise not to hurt anyone and be left alone. If they had never found out him being Beckett Reid, they still would be trusting of him. He certainly quietened them down and even Ash just walked away.  I do feel for him though

I'm guessing, again, that Ben must have OK'd Robbo staying at the flat, I was thinking that would happen when Colby asked if he could move in, so maybe Ben hadn't forgotten what Robbo did for Coco. So, he's got a approved place to stay but what about work, he's not the type just to lie about all day and cadge off Colby, but who's going to employ him? The show down - another one - between Justin and Tori looks like it happens tonight.

I had the :rolleyes: moment when Colby said 'your mum drowned in 1985'.  Could the 1984 mention been an error by Georgie Parker or the script writers?  I have no idea how it works in Australia but the coroner must have been convinced Martha was dead as I don't think they go dishing out death certificates without a body will-nilly.  I don't know why Colby thought the letter could be a hoax, as Roo said, Alf would know his own wife's handwriting, it may be because it was 30 years that she  didn't say she knew it was her mums. When Marilyn suggested that maybe Martha had changed her name and said 'fine, now I have no idea where to start' I was screaming at her ' Roo, maiden name, she could have gone back to her maiden name!'  Geez, she's supposed to be an intelligent woman! Alf certainly wasn't a happy bunny when Roo told him she'd involved Colby even if it was unofficially.

Archived