H&A Spring Break - From the Bay to LA

Psychic Wombat

Poor episode choice for Tasha, surely there were loads of better choices they could've used to showcase the character.

Just realised when going through my folders that 3565, which is the episode after the one shown today, was repeated during Five Life's Arrivals & Departures weekend back in 2007 - and it was that one they used to showcase Tasha's arrival (probably a slightly better option).

Still, nice to get another ep which hasn't previously been repeated.

I remember the arrivals and departures weekend, they should start doing these themed weekends again.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never even heard of today's celeb. But Tug! Fin! Luke! Adam! Pre-Irene Beach House! Speedos! Gosh, these are distant memories flooding back.

Funny to see how off a lot of the musical cues were back then. I guess we're just used to a much slicker end product these days. As well as the fact that the incidental music never seemed to tally with scene ends, they kept breaking out the drama-and-intrigue motif in scenes that didn't warrant it, to the extent that I thought Sam was about to inflict third-degree burns on himself with that iron! Instead he only melted his Batman ears!

I spent most of that episode admiring Tina Thomsen who was gorgeous and didn't mind the scenes with Finlay and Pippa. I thought Finlay fancied Luke for a second when they were talking. I also quite liked the dynamic with Roxy, Luke and Tug. I do vaguely remember when Tug didn't get on so well with them and found a magazine with Roxy posing in some skimpy pics, photocopied it obviously to hand around the school and Luke wasn't too happy with it. But they've obviously gotten past that with that episode. I did really enjoyed Adam being part of the cliche as well. And I liked him teasing Luke about being jealous re Roxy's date and also being threatened about competing for the teacher's job at Summer Bay high. Adam was one of those characters I remember quite liking. He had his faults but from what I can recall he was a good person. And although he was indirectly responsible for Bobby's death, I was glad Fisher forgave him eventually. It didn't occur to me until I actually saw him talking to Roxy that it was Simon Baker from the mentalist. I did really enjoy the way his character and Roxy fancied each other, kept bumping into one another each time with a slight awkwardness, he decided to take the plunge and ask her out and she accepted.

I found it really odd seeing Pippa sitting down in the diner drinking coffee. We normally only saw her sitting to eat at her own house or on the bottom step giving advice.

I wonder why they changed the Diner stools from the swivel ones.

Was that episode before or after Alf's 'dream' during his brain tumour op?

After: That was near the start of the year when Angie was still around.(And Don, for that matter.)I agree they could have chosen a better episode for Tasha. What about her and Robbie's wedding?I don't remember that being repeated but I did skip a few of those themed weekends so I'm open to being corrected...

Well, whether it was Channel 5 or the print they were given I don't know, but that definitely wasn't as broadcast:The commercial breaks seemed to come in too early and chop the end of scenes and even at the end the credits come in early, in the middle of the outro music and before the freeze frame.A niggling thing but...it niggled.It wasn't until the episode started that I twigged this was James' first episode.And unlike some of them, he actually was in it a fair bit.I remember commenting on Simon Baker's acting when this episode was shown on 7Two:Having seen the next few weeks, he does get a bit more varied, but here his performance was a bit one-note.Ironically, Adam was right, he would soon be stealing the food from Luke's fridge...

Yes, good to see a bit of Fin.I get that she wasn't technically a student anymore but you would expect people to be a bit more concerned about her openly fancying James.There was some nice interplay between her and Pippa too, although I wish we'd seen some of the rest of the family, the house seemed a bit empty.We're about 3/4 months on from Bobby's death here and Adam's obviously still affected by it, although it was nice to see people doing their best to bring him out of himself.

Not a bad episode for Tug, who was basically likable.He did seem a bit too critical of his father at times but I think he was just self-conscious and worried what people would think of Roy.

And tomorrow we're going back even further, to 1991: Just two episodes after Michael and Pippa's wedding, which we saw in the 2012 run, peeps!

Well we jumped back in the time machine and gone back to the 90's when most of the cast were young and innocent (well mostly)! I started to wonder if all we'd see of James would be him hovering in the background until the last minute, but no we got an introduction, bit of background, him in his trunks on the beach. He didn't waste much time in chatting up Roxy did he? The smile hasn't changed a bit has it (for those who watched The Mentalist you'll know what I mean). :wink: You've never watched The Mentalist then atrus?

Bit strange seeing Pippa with such long hair, last time we saw her it was more shoulder length and on the selection board for teaching staff.

I gathered it must have been after Bobby's death as Adam was, as has been mentioned still down about it, and Sam was living at Pippa's after it not working out with him living at Don's.

Nice to see Fin again and her being worn to a frazzle making Sam's Batman costume was funny. On that note didn't she say she was going to the store to get more material for it but when we saw her there she walked out empty handed!!! :unsure: So much like a lad of Sam's age to completely ignore Pippa's instructions to not to touch the iron as it was hot yet the moment she leaves the room he tries to iron his ears straight!!! Who got the job of making a new mask I wonder?

Tug was an interesting character, for the moment at least he had reconciled with his dad, even though he didn't have much faith in him. I suppose the usual lies had been spun by Roy about why Tug's mum had left to 'protect' him which never works out. I'm sure I remember Tug had a talent for water divining which helped when he and his dad had their own farm.

Archived