H&A Spring Break - From the Bay to LA

Psychic Wombat

Enjoyed the locations in Heath Ledgers episode. They stopped using that wharf location around 2000 I think and moved to the we saw with Scott and Dani etc for the early 00s.

Any know the song played in the diner with Liam and Francs. Goes along the lines of How Long How Long.

They were using that wharf up to around 2003ish, I know they were still using it around Sally & Flynn's wedding as we had Mikey working on the boat and Chris Fletcher hiding out underneath the jetty. I was going to link to it on the site until I realised I haven't put it up yet....

Then as you say they started using this one prominently again from around 2004 - I remember first noticing it during the twin-swap storyline when Kane mistook Laura for Kirsty, but it may have been earlier.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed the locations in Heath Ledgers episode. They stopped using that wharf location around 2000 I think and moved to the we saw with Scott and Dani etc for the early 00s.

Any know the song played in the diner with Liam and Francs. Goes along the lines of How Long How Long.

They were using that wharf up to around 2003ish, I know they were still using it around Sally & Flynn's wedding as we had Mikey working on the boat and Chris Fletcher hiding out underneath the jetty. I was going to link to it on the site until I realised I haven't put it up yet....

Then as you say they started using this one prominently again from around 2004 - I remember first noticing it during the twin-swap storyline when Kane mistook Laura for Kirsty, but it may have been earlier..

Oh thanks for the info. Looked different to me for some reason. Do you have any info of the earlier wharf that Adam Cameron used to keep his yatch. The one where Carly and Bobby used to visit him and was used in the 1989 credit to replace Morag? Is that nearby the others?

Yea, more Shannon. Again she was adorable.

I remember Liam. From what I can recall, I thought he was a dreadful character.

Even though Casey appeared a few times in titles of the Shannon episodes I still couldn't remember her. That was until today then it came back to me. That girl has gone one serious inferiority complex. And she did seem quite self absorbed. More often than not, I would find a teenage girl like that annoying but I didn't. It didn't even irritate me the way she kept hassling Liam. I was more intrigued than anything about her back story. She looked pretty hurt when Liam was brutally honest with her but that's always the problem in those situations. Friends very often don't tell the truth about any undesirable qualities but she just kept pushing and pushing so it clearly came as a shock because he told her what she didn't want to hear.

Was mildly interested in this storyline with Sally stealing the keys to Fisher's office from Pippa so Scott could steal a copy of the exam paper. She did the right thing coming forward and objectively didn't deserve Scott threatening to make her pay afterwards but given the episode I saw with Sally being so smug when she all but told Shauna to stick her apology last week, I enjoyed him doing it nonetheless.

Then as you say they started using this one prominently again from around 2004 - I remember first noticing it during the twin-swap storyline when Kane mistook Laura for Kirsty, but it may have been earlier. .

Oh thanks for the info. Looked different to me for some reason. Do you have any info of the earlier wharf that Adam Cameron used to keep his yatch. The one where Carly and Bobby used to visit him and was used in the 1989 credit to replace Morag? Is that nearby the others?

They were 2 different ones :wink:

The one used in the opening titles was the main ferry wharf in the town centre of Palm Beach, not too far from the Boatshed location. It's the same one Sally walks along in the 1995 opening titles.

Not too sure on Adam's wharf as the possible ones have all changed a bit over the years, but I suspect it's another one slightly further south in Palm Beach.

Neither are near the 2 previously mentioned ones though, those ones are both at the southern tips of Pittwater, whereas Palm Beach is obviously at the northern end.

Well, for the benefit of anyone trying to make sense of it all, that episode was shown in the UK on Monday 21st July 1997 according to notes I made at the time, meaning we’d got out of sync the other way since 1994 and must have skipped a day prior to Shannon’s last episode when we were in sync.

While it was nice to see a bit of Shannon and Sally’s friendship, Shannon gave Sally some spectacularly bad advice by telling her to keep quiet about the stolen exam paper, so I’m glad Sally didn’t listen. I’m also glad Sally was out the other side of her most self-destructive period (and one of the few times I really didn’t like her) by this point: I believe this is not long after the commune fire episode that we saw online in 2012 when she was still in the middle of it? I’ve always found it slightly amusing that Heath Ledger played one of her boyfriends. Nice to see the subject of safe sex touched upon. Another look at a very human Pippa, caught completely unawares by what Sally’s up to and struggling to make sense of it. Don’s “Learn the value of silence, Irwin” is one of his classic moments.

So, Liam’s obviously on his way out by this point. He first came to stay with the Rosses when his father was arrested for fraud, so his exit came full circle. Casey had a bit of an unrequited thing for him at this point as I recall, so his awkward honesty would have been even more cutting. She was a likable character but ended up leaving under a cloud after a massive falling out with Don.

Oddly I seemed to view Jesse as looking young here, even though we’ve only just seen him in other 1997 episodes. Maybe it was having his hair tied back that did it? There seems to be a clash brewing between Alf and Travis over their different approaches to life. Not sure how I feel about Don mimicking Aaron’s speech patterns. It was amusing but a bit dismissive and nearly put Aaron off returning to school, which like Marilyn I hope Donald would be mortified about if he knew. (Aaron plays a big part in Irwin’s downfall as I recall, so he obviously ended up at school not long after.)

So tomorrow we skip back to 1996, further back in Shannon Week (between the Shannon/Angel clash and the random Shannon argues with her mother episodes, natch).

Didn't bother with 2162, It was "widely available" (read between the lines) prior to the repeats.

I think Kate, all of 18 at this point was like "I'm tired of Sally being a goody-two-shoes, she's 18 now, give her some challenging material and let her live a little!" and the producers agreed.

I liked Ailsa and Aaron's relationship during that time period. He was actually a good fit in the Stewart House. Also, his small friendship with Sal.

Liam was okay, just a bit bland compared to Joey (Ironically, the nerd of the gang)

Alf and Travis butting heads was nothing new (There was the whole squirrlel/left wing-greenie yahoo thing several months earlier)

Heath Ledger looked so young there, what a shame his life ended the way it did. Such a shock to all at the time that 'good' little Sally would do such a thing, not only that but sleeping with a boy she didn't know (or like) that well on the beach, but good to know they took 'care' as Shannon phrased it. Pippa was more hurt than angry but I do feel she seemed to forgive Sally far too easily, unless there was more to come that we didn't see. You really would have thought that Pippa of all people would have picked up on something as she is usually so on the ball about her 'kids'. Instead she came out with that well worn line 'she doesn't have a boyfriend'. :rolleyes: Do we know if Sally told her the rest of it? Sally deciding to admit her part in the copying was the resurfacing of the old Sally as was her refusing to name names. Don was pretty astute though by noticing how Scott and Sally were behaving around each other and correctly put two and two together. Was there any revenge on Scott's part? You're right Red Don's comment was so him, Scott had talked himself into that extra school exclusion. What happened to him?

I remembered Liam when I saw him but couldn't remember his story line, anyone? I take it his dad wasn't much cop and his mum Frances(?) was overseas in Peru, another mum who supposedly cares about her child but couldn't wait to get away and being vague as to how long she'll be away. I got the impression she once lived in the bay by the way she was talking to Liam on the headland. Did he end up going with her?

I can't blame Liam finally cracking and telling Casey she had kept nagging him to, even if it wasn't what she was expecting to hear. Even from that one episode she came across as very tiring. Was she another kid with a troubled past?

Heath Ledger looked so young there, what a shame his life ended the way it did. Such a shock to all at the time that 'good' little Sally would do such a thing, not only that but sleeping with a boy she didn't know (or like) that well on the beach, but good to know they took 'care' as Shannon phrased it. Pippa was more hurt than angry but I do feel she seemed to forgive Sally far too easily, unless there was more to come that we didn't see. You really would have thought that Pippa of all people would have picked up on something as she is usually so on the ball about her 'kids'. Instead she came out with that well worn line 'she doesn't have a boyfriend'. :rolleyes: Do we know if Sally told her the rest of it? Sally deciding to admit her part in the copying was the resurfacing of the old Sally as was her refusing to name names. Don was pretty astute though by noticing how Scott and Sally were behaving around each other and correctly put two and two together. Was there any revenge on Scott's part? You're right Red Don's comment was so him, Scott had talked himself into that extra school exclusion. What happened to him?

I remembered Liam when I saw him but couldn't remember his story line, anyone? I take it his dad wasn't much cop and his mum Frances(?) was overseas in Peru, another mum who supposedly cares about her child but couldn't wait to get away and being vague as to how long she'll be away. I got the impression she once lived in the bay by the way she was talking to Liam on the headland. Did he end up going with her?

I can't blame Liam finally cracking and telling Casey she had kept nagging him to, even if it wasn't what she was expecting to hear. Even from that one episode she came across as very tiring. Was she another kid with a troubled past?

His Dad wound up in jail, Liam ended up coming to live with the Rosses on the night of the storm/flood where Shane Jr. was born and Michael drowned.

Casey was... pretty effed up herself. Her dad buggered off to the states (jumping in the sack with Rebecca sometime before) and her mum let religion, corrupt her to point where she needed to be sectioned (She and one of her other bible-bashing friends tried to "Exorcise" Casey). Casey was a bit of a cow at times, rebuffed Joey and wasn't interested in him until Tiegan popped up. She pretty much burned ALL bridges in the Bay by the end of stint

Don's no dummy. Like how he knew Nathan turned over his office a few years back but waited for him to hang himself.

1997 would have been a much more enjoyable year had ITV not got the scissors out every time a storyline had a bit of grit to it.

I don't know if it was just me but several of the scenes in that episode seemed cut short.

Anyway very interesting watching that given that the Shannon week had an episode with Steven returning to Summer Bay after he was forced to leave with his teaching career was in tatters and no doubt seen as some individual praying on a young innocent girl. Not sure what Irene saw but I liked the way Don defended Steven initially. I also liked the way Selina went and spoke to Fisher not wanting Steven to lose his job. I know Irene was looking out for Selina but I found her really annoying when she mouthing off to Fisher.

I was a massive Shane/Angel fan and never really liked Angel departing with Simon. I would have preferred if she'd just taken Dylan and left on her own much like Sally did with Pippa. I thought she looked really hot in that episode and I still enjoyed the daydreaming scenes where she was assessing everything, thinking about Shane, what he would have thought. I guess the old cliche that he would want her to be happy. It was funny when Dylan asked Angel at the end if there were any beaches in England. "Not as good as this one" is a serious understatement. Wasn't sure what to make of the brief moment when Irene caught Angel and Simon kissing. I really liked the scenes with Angel and Donald and it was good that they were still really close right up to the point where she left. I remember him being like a father to her and Shane. Again although I didn't like her leaving with Simon I thought the goodbye was pretty good. Better than Shannon's. I liked the way it was spontaneous rather than having a fairly mundane farewell party.

A second episode with Casey and again kind of feels like she's ostracised although it was only one episode. Obviously the black eye and helping herself to Selina's leftover fries are connected.

It's funny. When Alf was talking to Curtis at the Diner the music playing on the jukebox was the same as the background music played on the Mirigini during the anniversary event in 2002.

All in all a very good episode which I really enjoyed.

Archived