H&A historic UK ratings discussion.

Homeandawayfan.

When did they introduce the 'next time' promos? It feels like they're trying to copy american shows.

I just miss the old days when we had credits then the episode and that was it. Neighbours are proud of their identity again and have a great opening and closing sequence. In all honesty I doubt H&A will have opening credits ever again. It's a real shame as the theme is iconic. 7 should be proud of that!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did they introduce the 'next time' promos? It feels like they're trying to copy american shows.

Towards the end of the 2010 season in the UK as I recall. Far longer in Aus.

Wow, as long ago as that! Yes I believe it was around 2004 they made their debut in Australia. They haven't had closing credits since the end of the 2003 season.

Towards the end of the 2010 season in the UK as I recall. Far longer in Aus.

Wow, as long ago as that! Yes I believe it was around 2004 they made their debut in Australia. They haven't had closing credits since the end of the 2003 season.

We've had a promo for the next episode pretty much from day one, it's always been like that in Australia. When there was the freeze-frame it would go to a commercial break and then after the commercials it would be a promo and the end credits (as far as I remember).

From 2004 the promo came straight after the show and the credits would be squashed to the side of the screen (the format changed from three ad breaks to four I think - with one break about a scene away from the end of the show - so messy).

The best era for Australia was in 2000-2003 when the episode ended with the underscore continuing over the producer/director credit. Then we would have a commercial break then the promo and full end credits. At least that way we got the end of episode into a mini credit sequence and it didn't rush straight into the promo or commercial.

I like the way 7TWO are showing the Early Years with the credits straight after the end of the episode. It's so much more effective. But back when they repeated the Early Years in the late 90's/early00's they would end the episode and it would go straight into a commercial break then come back with a cross-promo for the current episodes (for example 2002 bus crash) then the end credits for the Early Years.

Then from 2009 I think it was they started to make the promos 'in-house' so became apart of the episode. Probably because there was a lot of negative feedback about the Channel 7 promos being insensitive to the cliffhanger more often than not (like when Flynn died and it went to a very jarring/out of context promo about one of the other characters).

I think our ad breaks work differently here in the UK. For as long as time began/the promos were introduced we've gone straight into the promo and then straight into the end credits. (Even today) then there's a break followed by the next programming. On 5* they squeeze two ad breaks into the episode but the end credits are always still straight after the promo which is straight after the episode/cliffhanger. Not sure if it ever had any barings on the ratings though, but I agree, back in the day when there was a full theme, if I was watching in Aus and there was a break before the titles it wouldn't be worth sticking around for. Hence why they've probably gone for you guys nowadays.

I remember us randomly getting the next episode promo in 2003 when the Mirigini disaster aired here in the UK for the part of the story with Shelley and the snake. I thought it was something new we were getting but the next episode it was gone until we got them again in 2010ish.

Old newspapers are soooo valuable. My local regional newspaper, Eastern Daily press had ratings listings every Friday in 1994, and these were ratings for the week ending last Friday. 21 Jan 1994 said a Tuesday episode of H&A shown on 10th January 1994 was watched by over 14 million viewers, the highest figures for January 1994 in the UK AFAIK. Next time when I get more time I may write down the figures.

• 3 weeks later...

UK episode figures for week 3rd to 7th Jan 1994 for H&A.

Tue 4th Jan 14.17 million

Wed 5th Jan 14.10 million

Thur 13.67 million

Fri 13.80 million

Week ending 16th January 1994

Mon 14.02 million

Tue 13.61 million

Wed 13.85 million

Thur 13.32 million

Fri 13.31 million

Week ending March 13th 1994

Mon 12.98 million