H&A historic UK ratings discussion.

Homeandawayfan.

Here is a thread discussing the historic ratings of H&A in the UK. I think the show got very good figures in the early to mid 1990s and was almost as watched as a weekly showing of an EastEnders episode minus the Sunday omnibus edition.

In January 1994, H&A got about 13.5 million viewers an episode, this included (like Neighbours) the aggregated figures of the afternoon showing and the evening showing. An average weekly ep of EE got about 14 to 15 million but the Sunday omnibus repeat bumped the figure up to about 19 million.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt about it, Home and Away was huuuuge. People used to watch TV then. Far less channels, no internet or Ondemand services. Home and Away being on ITV itself guaranteed a certain amount of viewers. If you moved home and away to ITV today figures would double.

Home and away is still a daytime hit for Channel 5. 4-5% audience share and it props up 5*, without it the next most rated show is pulling half the amount of the first look episodes. (See Barb.co.uk top 10)

If it was still on ITV, It'd probably be cancelled by now or at the very least buried in the schedule on ITV2 where even less people could get to it. ITV let it go during a period where it was going back to its roots after a turbulent period of the late 90s.

Plus there's a section of the audience, the snob bracket who think ITV has "moved away from that kind of thing".

Same argument if Neighbours was still on the BBC (Doubt they'd treat it any better)

1994 was when the show was on fire despite being a relatively relaxed season. Pretty much unmissable TV without having to resort to deaths, car crashes, explosions or hospital trips every five minutes.

If it was still on ITV, It'd probably be cancelled by now or at the very least buried in the schedule on ITV2 where even less people could get to it. ITV let it go during a period where it was going back to its roots after a turbulent period of the late 90s.

Plus there's a section of the audience, the snob bracket who think ITV has "moved away from that kind of thing".

Same argument if Neighbours was still on the BBC (Doubt they'd treat it any better)

1994 was when the show was on fire despite being a relatively relaxed season. Pretty much unmissable TV without having to resort to deaths, car crashes, explosions or hospital trips every five minutes.

You're probably correct about it having been cancelled by now. ITVs teatime and daytime has had sooo many revamps and changes over the years. Currently in quiz show mode. We have to remember it's now aired longest on Channel 5 than it ever did on ITV which makes the best of us feel slightly old. Channel 5 have treated it well on the whole. they have a lifetime deal dont they so as long as the show is made, they will show it. And I know for a fact it is on pretty much all day everyday on on of their channels. I caught it on channel 5+24 at 3am the other day. So I'm happy.

Back to the ratings, they have tailed off since the move to channel 5 but the number of screenings has increased massively. And when you add the them together it won't be that much lower to the 1.5-2 mill it used to get in the early naughties.

I remember in early 1994 Home And Away and EastEnders were talked about a lot in the school playground. Well with 13 and 15 mil viewers an episode respectively I am not surprised. I think they were more exciting than Neighbours which while it got a good viewing share, it was just plodding along and going through a very meh period. But Corrie, H&A and Neighbours were very fluffy and laid back than inner city EastEnders.

ITV let it go during a period where it was going back to its roots after a turbulent period of the late 90s.

The late 90's were a strange time for H&A. The series was absolutely fantastic from around 1992-1996 (coinciding with the "Pippa & Michael" era), after Michael, then Pippa, left, it seemed to flounder a bit, but was still very watchable, and quite popular.

I actually thought H&A changed most radically in direction in 2000, not long after it moved to Channel 5. Many of the cast left, and there was a change from the fostering theme to the drop in center. Of course it has departed even futher from the original plot in recent years.

I think H&A was at its very best around 1995-95. I'm not sure what the ratings were at that time, but in the early 1990s it was certainly rivalling Neighbours and indeed some of the other big soaps. When it moved to Channel 5, that channel was still in its infancy with low ratings and many people couldn't even get a clear picture! Also over a year off-air meant that despite quite a lot of promotion, ratings were a shadow of their former self.

ITV let it go during a period where it was going back to its roots after a turbulent period of the late 90s.

The late 90's were a strange time for H&A. The series was absolutely fantastic from around 1992-1996 (coinciding with the "Pippa & Michael" era), after Michael, then Pippa, left, it seemed to flounder a bit, but was still very watchable, and quite popular.

I actually thought H&A changed most radically in direction in 2000, not long after it moved to Channel 5. Many of the cast left, and there was a change from the fostering theme to the drop in center. Of course it has departed even futher from the original plot in recent years.

I think H&A was at its very best around 1995-95. I'm not sure what the ratings were at that time, but in the early 1990s it was certainly rivalling Neighbours and indeed some of the other big soaps. When it moved to Channel 5, that channel was still in its infancy with low ratings and many people couldn't even get a clear picture! Also over a year off-air meant that despite quite a lot of promotion, ratings were a shadow of their former self.

It is still the same TV series that has bene on since Jan 1988 but it is a different show at the minute. The series canon still continues on from the fostering days, set in the same town, same families, Stewarts and Patterson's and Alf, Irene, Maz and Leah remain, it is the same programme but style wise a different show. Neighbours veered away from its original premise in about 2003 but reverted back in 2013. It was still the same TV series just a different style show. I am sure H&A is surging towards 30 years old and I am sure it will be a better show before the 30th.

There was still fostering in 2000 Irene (although the Smith kids were practically her stepchildren) and The Sutherlands with Brodie.

And as for Neighbours 2003-07 was like a third golden age due to Sky and Izzy being at the forefront. There was 2008-12 where things were hit and miss.

It's quite sad just how much it's tumbled. In 1998 (the earliest the BARB site goes back to) it was picking up 8-9 million viewers. That's more than Corrie gets today, however.

Channel 5 haven't treated the show badly - especially at the start, and we have to remember just how much ITV were editing the show towards the end - and the Channel 5 deal effectively funds the production of the show anyway.

Should it be doing better than it is now though? Absoloutely. To not even get 1 million is pretty worrying.

Archived