Characters who left too soon

Homeandawayfan.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked Tamara to stay.

I think it was a shame Heath had to go.

Dexter even though he was ruined by April abit in the end I think.

Also Ruby and Nicole.

It's a shame sometimes that most of the actors on the show have dreams of Hollywood and only sign to the show for three years.

i don't think Hollywood is the problem. Most actors don't end up there at all. But I think that it is a combination of both writers/producers and the actors thinking that enough is enough. And even if they don't end up in Hollywood, many actors want to try out other roles.

I think that most characters have run their course after three years. Especially the most dramatic ones. The most memorable characters for me, aren't those who have stayed there for many years.

I don't think Tamara went too soon.. But I don't think she stayed too long either... But she wasn't used to her potential when she was on. And that is the problem for several characters.

But some characters should have stayed longer. I think that several characters from the period 2007-2010 stayed too short. They didn't stay on the show for three years either.

I think that Annie Campbell left too soon. it would have been good to see her develop in a natural way. The actress was very young and Annie could have grown with her.

Roman have been mentioned earlier in this thread. He left far, far too early.

I think that Shauna left far too soon. It was revealed that she was Ailsa's daughter and then she left. It was a shame. There were so much to develop there. It was probably the actress decision, but the storyline could have been done earlier.

And this character Diesel who had a crush on Sally. I thought he was an exciting character. He was probably only meant to be a short plot to give Sally some drama, but I would have liked him to stay for much longer and digg deeper into his background and personality and develop him from there.

I think that Kit left too early first time around. It would have been good to see her more around with her family.

Nathan Roberts. I can't quite remember him from the early days, but when he returned in early 2000's I think that he should have stayed as a regular for a longer time. There was much more to develop there.

Seb Miller. I think it was totally stupid to get rid of him after his accident. It would have been less ridicoulus if he left without the accident storyline. But after the accident there were a lot of storylines to develop because of his new situation.

I'd also have loved to have seen Peta and Edward stick around longer. I only saw their last 35 episodes though as I was too young when they were originally on the show, the first episode I remember seeing as a 6 year old once Home and Away was finally on Channel 5 was Ken's death ten episodes after their departure, and so I only first saw them in Five Life's run of 2000-2001 episodes in 2007. I found Edward intriguing and Peta gutsy (mainly against Judith).

I'd also have loved to have seen Sam Marshall take to being Bella's acting father, and maybe even see Bella as a teenager now.

Will, Gypsy and Lily's 2010/2011 stint was a bit ugh. Why did they have to make Will kill Penn? I wanted to see Lily go to Summer Bay High and fall in love with VJ (not that having Charlie Rose MacLennan as Lily would work now seeing as Matt Little is playing VJ and the age difference would show up more).

Hayley, Scott, Tasha, Robbie, Kit, Kim and their kids as well.

You know what I would like to see? A child who is born and grows up in Summer Bay at normal pace without SORAS or change of actors. Have we ever seen one of those? VJ was born in 2001, undergone numerous actor changes, and is now 16 rather than 13. I don't know if she'll get recast at any point, but the wonderful little Scarlett Anderson has been growing up on Neighbours for two years now, without anyone being like "Oooh, you have a baby now, you can leave". You rarely reach your 1st birthday before departure from Home and Away.

You know what I would like to see? A child who is born and grows up in Summer Bay at normal pace without SORAS or change of actors. Have we ever seen one of those? VJ was born in 2001, undergone numerous actor changes, and is now 16 rather than 13. I don't know if she'll get recast at any point, but the wonderful little Scarlett Anderson has been growing up on Neighbours for two years now, without anyone being like "Oooh, you have a baby now, you can leave". You rarely reach your 1st birthday before departure from Home and Away.

Neighbours is much the same. Apart from Jamie Clarke, Louise Carpenter, Ben Kirk, Oscar Scully and now Nell Rebecchi, nearly all the babies have gone within their first year.

Was Chris Fletcher always kept the same age?? Duncan and VJ have been SORASed, and the only other long-term baby Home and Away have had is Pippa. I stopped watching after early 2006, so I don't know if she was SORASed or not.

There's quite a few characters I can think of who left too soon for my liking so here they are:

Brad Armstrong - Brad was only on the show for over a year but his character was mainly centered around his involvement with Sally with meeting each other and then developing a relationship with one another especially after Brad's first wife Emily died. While Sally and Brad were good together Sally's unwillingness to let go of Flynn which I could understand from her perspective was the final straw for Brad and he didn't last too long soon after their failed wedding.

Drew Curtis - Drew was quite an obnoxious character but he was only the show for about 18 months overall and he seemed to get a lot done in 2006/2007. He was framed for being the town pyromaniac, had a secret relationship with Amanda behind Belle's back, realised his biological father in Peter was actually alive, had a love triangle with Belle and Lucas, his friend Jules rolled up to town on a motorbike and caused trouble for a while, he then dropped out of school, his mother Jazz arrived into town and then he got into the drag racing scene and became an apprentice mechanic at Moran Motors where Ric was working before he finally started growing up for once and who can forget his on and off relationship with Belle. Actually come to think of it his longevity on the show was short but the writers packed a lot in for Drew within the 18 month timeframe hence this one shout out is contestable but I'll include him on the list.

Roman Harris - He was a character who was said to 'run his course' but I thoroughly disagree with that. Roman was only on the show for 18 months and had a lot more time left in him in my opinion. His backstory in being a part of the army was a major part of his character's set up and I'm glad that they explored that in great detail but I hated how things ended for him as he was a good guy who got caught up in a very bad situation with Gardy in 2009. It felt like he just came and went and he's been largely forgotten since. Not even Nicole mentioned him much after he left from memory. A lot more could have been explored by his introducing family members connected to Roman such his parents or any siblings he may have had.

Sid Walker - Sid was an interesting character who I just felt wasn't explored enough for my liking. For example, I remember when he was going through some issues with depression/mid-life crisis and then it was quickly resolved and forgotten soon after. More time should have been put in to explore that issue that Sid was experiencing rather than brushing it aside. In general, I always had hopes that Sid would be a character that would stick around for a long time but it didn't eventuate the way I hoped especially after the actor and the producers didn't see eye to eye with one another over some of the writing that was taking place that primarily had to do with Romeo's cancer storyline.

Mm Brad was on the show for almost 2 years and Drew from 2006 to 2008, that´s what i remember at least

I so agree with Roman, also isn´t it weird that Gardy never returned? When Nicole and Roman looked over at Gardy´s dead body but he was gone and we saw blood traces (if i remember correct) I do remember he had escaped and they never found him, anyway when that happened i really did expect him to return later as a shock to Nicole and cause trouble for him, seems like its a story they left in the shadow to be forgotten...

Im curious to how Romeo´s cancer storyline was before Robert started messing with it, the fact he left and that he later died made it so that i wouldn´t realy have cared how it was handlet before because he was already dead, i think it was a stupid move of Robert to try and change a storyline. I mean what makes one think it´s ok to change a manuscript?

I´m thinking about the other comment i saw earlier where they said if thing´s didn´t happen like it happened Tom, Pippa, Alisa and Floss could have still been main on the show. I just can´t imagine Tom and Pippa walking around the house with Roo and Maddy arguing, also i don´t think Alf would be the same as he is now if Alisa was still alive, in my opinion i feel his character became stronger after her death because he had to learn to be indepentent and he has establed himself as a very good and strong character even without Alisa :) and what would Floss be doing on the show? Yelling at the Braxtons?

I would have liked Tamara to stay.

I think it was a shame Heath had to go.

Dexter even though he was ruined by April abit in the end I think.

Also Ruby and Nicole.

It's a shame sometimes that most of the actors on the show have dreams of Hollywood and only sign to the show for three years.

And barely anyone of them gets fame in hollywood :P

I´m thinking about the other comment i saw earlier where they said if thing´s didn´t happen like it happened Tom, Pippa, Alisa and Floss could have still been main on the show. I just can´t imagine Tom and Pippa walking around the house with Roo and Maddy arguing, also i don´t think Alf would be the same as he is now if Alisa was still alive, in my opinion i feel his character became stronger after her death because he had to learn to be indepentent and he has establed himself as a very good and strong character even without Alisa :) and what would Floss be doing on the show? Yelling at the Braxtons?

I imagine if Tom and Pippa were around, they would either:

a) still be foster parents and have a house full of teenagers, so Roo and Maddy would be living somewhere else

b) they would have downsized/retired from fostering and allowed the next generation of foster parents to take over Summer Bay House, which probably would have happened around the time Flynn and Sally got married.

If Floss was still around, I imagine Colleen would never have become a regular. She probably would have filled that "older lady supporting role" instead. No doubt her grandson would have returned as a regular too.

I imagine if Tom and Pippa were around, they would either:

a) still be foster parents and have a house full of teenagers, so Roo and Maddy would be living somewhere else

b) they would have downsized/retired from fostering and allowed the next generation of foster parents to take over Summer Bay House, which probably would have happened around the time Flynn and Sally got married.

If Floss was still around, I imagine Colleen would never have become a regular. She probably would have filled that "older lady supporting role" instead. No doubt her grandson would have returned as a regular too.

I´m not sure if that is a negative thing or a positive thing, Colleen was annoying at times in my opinion. Was Floss a yabbing woman to like Colleen?

Well this is a show, everything can happen so if they want they can bring back Pippa and reveal that Tom is still alive. It´s always interesting to see old veteran characters mingle with new modern characters :)

^ Colleen, albeit in the same age bracket as Floss, probably Younger, was more like Celia, only much less uptight.

Tom not being dead would just be too unbelievable even for today's show and just undo the emotion attached. His ghost visit to Sally was well done without retreating into soap opera corniness but let's not undo an emotional departure.

Archived