Characters who left too soon

Homeandawayfan.

I shall start off with

Alison Patterson, the best ever supporting character in the shows first year and a bit. I loved her catfights with Bobby and her devious ways. She should have stayed on longer or been made a regular.

Gordon Macklin, he should have been made a regular. He reminded me of Lewis Fleming in Neighbours, a 1986 guest character who tried to swindle Paul Robinson and his company.

Same for Stacey and Brett Macklin, should have stayed longer or been made regular.

Bobby should never have been killed off, she could have returned at a later date.

Fringelay, sorry Finlay should have stayed on longer I think.

Same for Damo and Tug.

Floss McPhee, the Eileen Clarke of Summer Bay, that means Nev would have to have stayed if Floss had stayed on as it would not seen right for them to split up.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread on here about characters who stayed too long, but which characters do you think still had potential when they left the show? I stopped watching on a regular basis in early 2006, so all of mine are before that era:

• Lynn Davenport - it's a shame the character only lasted six months and the original tight-knit family were broken up so early. She had a strong bond with Carly and Sally and still had much more potential. Wasn't she in Steven's year at school? It's a shame they didn't build up a friendship with them more.
  • Ailsa Stewart - one of my all time favourite characters, so she could never be around long enough in my opinion. It's a shame the writers invested all the time into the ridiculous storyline with Shauna and they didn't have the chance to really form a bond.
  • Donald Fisher - Similar to Ailsa, Fisher is another one of my favourite characters and I was sorry to see him go. I think it would have been interesting to see how he took to retired life in Summer Bay. No doubt he would have been bored though...
  • Lance and Martin - a much more interesting "bromance" than Adam and Matt, who pretty much took over from them.
  • Tom Fletcher - the biggest mistake of the show IMO was axing Tom, as it was supposedly the reason Vanessa Downing quit shortly after. I never warmed to Michael or Pippa #2. Who knows? If they kept him, Tom and Vanessa's Pippa could have become the linchpins of the series (a bit like Karl and Susan on Neighbours) with all the teens passing through over the next 25 years.
  • Stacey and Phillip - I would have loved to see their romance develop and settle into life as a married couple, perhaps with a baby and/or becoming the next foster parents.
  • Viv Newton, Haydn Ross, Casey Mitchell, Liam Tanner, Stephanie Mboto and Henry Hunter - There is no real reason other than the fact I think the actors did a reasonable job and their characters were too short-lived.
  • Peta and Edward - probably the only teen couple I actually remember with fondness. They had a special bond and I would have loved to see that continue and seen how they cope with Edward's Huntington's.
  • Steven Mathieson (second stint) - I would have liked to see him longer in his second stint. With his role as a teacher, a former foster child of Pippa's and close relationships with many of the characters, he could have really cemented a place for himself in Summer Bay. He also would have been the perfect candidate to take over the Caravan Park from Pippa when she left in 1998.

What a coincidence as I just started a thread on Bayside Diner about the same thing. They will probably be merged.

Already done - I noticed someone mention the idea in the other thread so I knew this thread wouldn't be too far behind (though didn't expect two at the same time :P).

I'm more of a post-1999 viewer, so my character's will be from a bit later:

Roman - I thought he was quite an interesting/different character. I loved his friendship with Morag and Myles, and felt they got rid of him too quickly.

Rosie Prichard - In these modern times, when most characters are 1 dimensional and very similiar, I thought she stood out a bit and would have liked to see her stay longer.

Lottie Ryan - I'm not sure why she only stayed for such a brief time. I think the show needs a more serious girl.

Sid Walker - I liked that he was a bit edgier, drank too much, wasn't perfect, but trying to do his best for his family. I would have liked him to stay longer (especially as it would have given Sasha some relevance).

Ross Buckton - I loved his relationship with Morag, and would have liked to see it last longer.

Morag Bellingham - .....speaking of Morag. I'd love to see her back as a permanent character.

Beth Hunter - I'm not sure how long she was on the show, but I definitely didn't want her to leave. I thought she was a great H&A character, a strong mother figure with great personality.

Brendan Austin - Even if he didn't stay on as a full time character, I would have liked to see him come in and out of the show, instead of just completely forgotten about!

Leah's brothers - I can't remember their names, but thought it would be interesting to have Leah's family become regular cast members and explore their interaction (though not her parents -they really got on my nerves!)

I agree about Floss.

She could have become the Helen Daniels of Home and Away but I guess they made Ailsa into the Helen Daniels of Home & Away.

But Floss was right to be a grandma and Floss really had a way of talking to young people and was a very wise person like Helen was!.

But I think Floss was not prim and proper as Helen and Ailsa were.

But I think Floss was not prim and proper as Helen and Ailsa were.

Yet Ailsa went to prison for murder and went crazy I don't know how many times (I can count three - after Duncan was born and she tried to smother him, when she saw Bobby in the fridge, and after the car accident when she thought Alf hated her).

If I am honest, I would have rather seen Floss return as a regular in 1999 rather than Colleen.

There was a rumour in 2008 that Floss was becoming a regular again and it turned out to be two episodes!.

Well a few milestones this year!.

Leah is going to overtake Donald and become the fourth longest serving character in the history of the show!.

Marilyn is now overtaken both her last two runs on the show!.

John and Roo will both be in their fifth year on the show!.

There's quite a few characters I can think of who left too soon for my liking so here they are:

Brad Armstrong - Brad was only on the show for over a year but his character was mainly centered around his involvement with Sally with meeting each other and then developing a relationship with one another especially after Brad's first wife Emily died. While Sally and Brad were good together Sally's unwillingness to let go of Flynn which I could understand from her perspective was the final straw for Brad and he didn't last too long soon after their failed wedding.

Drew Curtis - Drew was quite an obnoxious character but he was only the show for about 18 months overall and he seemed to get a lot done in 2006/2007. He was framed for being the town pyromaniac, had a secret relationship with Amanda behind Belle's back, realised his biological father in Peter was actually alive, had a love triangle with Belle and Lucas, his friend Jules rolled up to town on a motorbike and caused trouble for a while, he then dropped out of school, his mother Jazz arrived into town and then he got into the drag racing scene and became an apprentice mechanic at Moran Motors where Ric was working before he finally started growing up for once and who can forget his on and off relationship with Belle. Actually come to think of it his longevity on the show was short but the writers packed a lot in for Drew within the 18 month timeframe hence this one shout out is contestable but I'll include him on the list.

Natalie Davidson - Natalie had potential but was only ever seen as a plot device for the Braxton family as the school counsellor and then later developing an on and off relationship with Brax. There was a missed opportunity by the writers to explore her family history especially as her mother disappeared in mysterious circumstances and hadn't been seen by her for years. In reality Natalie's time was up when Zac started appearing on the show.

Martin Dibble and Lance Smart - They were great characters in the Early Years and I loved the friendship they had with one another as they were friends from literally kindergarten age but after a while Martin and Lance's antics got a bit ridiculous and I sensed the writers didn't know what to do with them after a while. They were wonderful characters and provided so much light-hearted humour during these years. Adam and Matt replaced them but they didn't have the same dynamic that we saw with Martin and Lance.

Tom Fletcher - I'm not sure what happened here but apparently Tom was axed rather than Roger Oakley leaving at his own accord. It's a pity if that was the case as Tom and Pippa were the symbol and epitome of what the show was about at the time. It's true that Vanessa Downing left soon after due to Tom's departure. Sad that he was killed off but they couldn't break him and Pippa up though.

Roman Harris - He was a character who was said to 'run his course' but I thoroughly disagree with that. Roman was only on the show for 18 months and had a lot more time left in him in my opinion. His backstory in being a part of the army was a major part of his character's set up and I'm glad that they explored that in great detail but I hated how things ended for him as he was a good guy who got caught up in a very bad situation with Gardy in 2009. It felt like he just came and went and he's been largely forgotten since. Not even Nicole mentioned him much after he left from memory. A lot more could have been explored by his introducing family members connected to Roman such his parents or any siblings he may have had.

Barry Hyde - Another character who was assassinated by the writers and couldn't be redeemed. Barry was a wonderfully complex character but interesting character who I thought the writers fleshed out very well especially in 2005 as we started learning more about his personal life as 2004 was more filled with his time as the new strict school principal that the students couldn't stand initially but grew to respect after a while. I loved his relationship with Irene even though I don't think it was explored thoroughly enough and I think his backstory with Kim, his wife Kerry and his other son Jonathan was compelling and very emotional especially when it all came out with what happened to his wife and other son. It was such a pity that he was the one who killed Josh in the end albeit in self-defence as we saw in flashbacks. It still shocked me when it was revealed to be him especially as I didn't read spoilers during that time in 2006.

Emma Jackson - I don't think Emma was even on the show for 12 months so her time felt very short but I really liked her character despite the tough exterior she demonstrated at the start of the stint. I loved her blunt and honest attitude towards things so I was sad to see her leave so quickly.

Floss and Neville McPhee - Floss and Neville's stint was rather short for my liking. I wasn't overly fond of Neville but didn't mind him but Floss was a brilliant character and could have been utilised far better during the years she was a regular! I was sad to see them axed as I thought Floss and Neville could have been long-term and memorable characters with good writing and strong storylines along the way.

Viv Newton - Like Emma, Viv was a character who also wasn't on for more than a year. Viv's backstory with an abusive father who was actually the local priest was intriguing but when all that was resolved and her mother was actually alive and not dead as she thought for so many years she didn't seem to have much else to stick around for apart from ending her brief relationship with Steven. She may have been Don's first foster child or someone who he took under his wing technically speaking.

Josie Russell - Josie also didn't last 12 months but she packed a lot in during her time and I found her to be quite an intriguing and complex character with an interesting background. I thought the dynamic she had with her ex-boyfriend in Marc Edwards was compelling and he definitely showed his true colours especially after he found out about her secret involving the year 1989 which he seemed to exclaim in every episode he featured in and then Morag and Peter were onto the case as well before the mysterious Jim Wallace died off-screen in strange circumstances. I sometimes wonder how I remember this so well :P Also who can forget Brett Macklin and her involvement in that and then saving the town in the process!

Celia Stewart - I can't remember whether Fiona Spence quit or whether Celia was axed but whatever happened I was disappointed to see her leave in 1990 but she seemed to make up that exodus we saw in 1990 along with Martin, Lance, Tom, Viv and Emma. Celia is an iconic character but hasn't appeared as a regular character since 1990.

Sid Walker - Sid was an interesting character who I just felt wasn't explored enough for my liking. For example, I remember when he was going through some issues with depression/mid-life crisis and then it was quickly resolved and forgotten soon after. More time should have been put in to explore that issue that Sid was experiencing rather than brushing it aside. In general, I always had hopes that Sid would be a character that would stick around for a long time but it didn't eventuate the way I hoped especially after the actor and the producers didn't see eye to eye with one another over some of the writing that was taking place that primarily had to do with Romeo's cancer storyline.

Were Lance, Martin and Celia axed? I know Tom was, and as these three left in the week or two before, I suspect they may have been as well in a bit of a mass clear-out.

Celia had not had a major storyline in ages (I think her last big storyline was with Morag's blind friend Nigel) and I suspect she may have been axed for similar reasons to Floss and Neville - that the producers wanted to focus more on the younger characters - as she was not replaced by someone in her age group. Instead we were introduced to Sophie, Grant, Ben Lucini, Blake and Karen

Lance and Martin had essentially been replaced by the inferior Adam/Matt pairing, which I suggest may have been an appearance thing, as Matt had no personality and IMO, Peter Vroom and Craig Thompson were better actors.

Archived