Characters who left too soon

Homeandawayfan.

Even though she didn't get many storylines, I was surprised to see Annie leave so early, as she did not seem the type that would leave home early.

I had almost forgotten about her, would be interesting so see her come back now when she is a grown up

Chloe Richards, I remember thinking at first Martha had died in the car crash. Wish she hadn't died.

Me to, i don´t get the point in bringing back a character only to kill them a few days after...

Even though she didn't get many storylines, I was surprised to see Annie leave so early, as she did not seem the type that would leave home early.

Annie's exit was somewhat strange in my opinion.

Her and Jai left in 2009 to undertake a student exchange programme in Japan and then she came back briefly but things didn't work out with her and Romeo and then she left again to return to Japan.

I always got the impression her and Geoff were inseparable so it's weird they're so far away from one another as far as I know. She lasted nearly three years in longevity technically speaking but she was prominent for only two years in reality.

I though only one of them could go to Japan, what happened? I missed that part

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had almost forgotten about her, would be interesting so see her come back now when she is a grown up

In a way, we saw what a more grown up Annie MIGHT be like with the charecter Charlotte Best played in another Oz drama, "Puberty Blues." ......

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/puberty-blues/characters/charlotte-best

Chloe Richards, I remember thinking at first Martha had died in the car crash. Wish she hadn't died.

Chloe's return was a plot device to accelerate Ben Unwin's (Jesse) departure. She'd truly come to the end of her use in 1999, I loved the character (she kept going no matter what, Speed addiction, Rape, Bitchiness from Diana over Lachie AND James, etc) but I reckon she left at the right time, hot on the heels of Travis and Rebecca. Her 2005 return basically undid that happy ending and left Olivia orphaned all for the sake of drama.

I don't think a soap character should really come back to die unless the character is really old (i.e. Ethel in EastEnders in 2000) and retiring or the fans won't accept a split of a couple (ala Daphne in Neighbours in 1988).

In a way, we saw what a more grown up Annie MIGHT be like with the charecter Charlotte Best played in another Oz drama, "Puberty Blues." ......

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/puberty-blues/characters/charlotte-best

Wow she has grown into a nice looking woman :) When she was still on Home and Away she looked like a little girl

Chloe's return was a plot device to accelerate Ben Unwin's (Jesse) departure. She'd truly come to the end of her use in 1999, I loved the character (she kept going no matter what, Speed addiction, Rape, Bitchiness from Diana over Lachie AND James, etc) but I reckon she left at the right time, hot on the heels of Travis and Rebecca. Her 2005 return basically undid that happy ending and left Olivia orphaned all for the sake of drama.

I don't think a soap character should really come back to die unless the character is really old (i.e. Ethel in EastEnders in 2000) and retiring or the fans won't accept a split of a couple (ala Daphne in Neighbours in 1988).

Spot on! Chloe's departure was purely for the sake of advancing Jesse's departure as you say and it was an added bonus that Jesse's departure coincided with Alf's 60th Birthday.

Jesse could have easily got back with Josie for example and left together happily without having to bring back Chloe and then killing her off two or three weeks after her return.

It was a sad return for a classic character of the mid to late 90s and it was even sadder to see Jesse back in jail where he started after being a reformed figure upon his return in 2002.

Spot on! Chloe's departure was purely for the sake of advancing Jesse's departure as you say and it was an added bonus that Jesse's departure coincided with Alf's 60th Birthday.

Jesse could have easily got back with Josie for example and left together happily without having to bring back Chloe and then killing her off two or three weeks after her return.

It was a sad return for a classic character of the mid to late 90s and it was even sadder to see Jesse back in jail where he started after being a reformed figure upon his return in 2002.

it does fit good tho that his departure ended the same way as his comeback

Tom Fletcher- I think the show's biggest ever mistake was axing Tom at such an early stage and im theory it was the start of breaking up the fletcher family which I think was a bad move as they were the first family.

Celia Stewart- I think Celia left too early and was never replaced as the general busy body around the bay, IMO she should of been replaced by either Morag or Coleen on a permanent basis.

Lance and Martin- Fantastic double act amazingly well played by Peter and Craig, I think there was a lot more places to take the characters of Lance and Martin before they left, I'd of liked to see more returns from these 2, I'd of especially liked to see a spin off of the 2 in the army, I don't think they'll ever be replaced Adam/Matt duo not even close, some people compare Dex to Lance but I don't think Dex gets in the same league.

Adam Cameron/Bobby Simpson- Im a big fan of Adam's the time and way he left I was very guttered with, at the time he was just beginning to turn his life around and I'd of liked to see him get a shot at running boat trips which is what he originally wanted to do when he arrived in the bay, I again think there was a lot more storylines for the character, I especially like the Sam and Adam scenes I think they were great on screen together. Bobby's death was another bad move IMO, if she wanted to leave then let her leave with Greg and Sam paving the way for more future returns especially with Don and Ailsa still in the Bay. But if they could i'd of found away to keep Sam as they did very good move.

The Roberts Kids- All 3 left way to early and the very few returns of the 3 of them considering Irene is still in the bay, I'd of loved to see more from them, especially Finlay her character seemed to just drift around and only appear in the diner or caravan park, there was the opportunity for more bigger and better storylines for instance the diving accident with Blake, why not extend this further with her scared to get back in the water and maybe someones drowning and there's only Fin there and she has to fight with her demons and get back in the water.

Floss McPhee- Guttered when her and Neville left but I'd of liked to see Floss return more for different events in a way that Pippa did.

Archived