Recasts

adam436

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Nathaniel returned in 2004 for the Olympic cliffhanger siege that was supposed to involve Scott rather than Sarah Lewis it would have been brilliant and scary but it would have flopped with the second actor big time.

Did you ever watch All Saints? Nathaniel Dean played a similar role in the 2007 cliffhanger.

He held the Emergency Department at gun point, planted a bomb in another part of the hospital to divert attention and kidnapped Erica. He was absolutely terrifying and played the psycho role brilliantly.

I think Debra well and truly made the part of Pippa her own, to the point that it feels like Vanessa was just keeping the seat warm until she turned up.Having watched them both, to be honest I think both of them tended to take a back seat to Tom and Michael in terms of close relationships with the children.That said, people complained about the show using a clip of Debra at Bobby's funeral because they thought Vanessa's Pippa was closer to her but actually, having seen the 90s episodes, I think it was actually the other way round, or at least that Debra was more motherly towards her: It's hard to see Vanessa's Pippa, who tended to be a bit scatterbrained at times, playing that kind of mentor role.

I've been extolling the virtues of the second Natalie in the other thread but yeah, that was an improvement.The first Natalie could be a bit bland at times, the second felt like more of a mother figure.I do think the relationship with Joel suffered a bit, the first Natalie was very physically affectionate with him, the second significantly less so (they barely kissed after the recast, which they used to do a lot beforehand).To be honest, it was impossible to imagine either Natalie cheating on Joel, the second perhaps even more than the first, which is probably why it happened off screen: It was a massively out of character moment for someone who'd always been portrayed as one of the most moralistic people in town.

(Incidentally, on the subject of lookalikes, I remember at the time people pointing out that Natalie Nash and Terri Garner were recast with actresses who looked alike...which was a bit oedipal.)

In retrospect, I think it's a shame that Flynn got watered down after the recast.The first Flynn possibly wasn't as well-suited to the fostering role as the second, but the second came across as a bit of an idealised love interest and consequently didn't have that much depth to him: The "wholesome doctor" as one character referred to him.

I liked both Hayleys and I wouldn't like to choose between them.I did always feel sorry for Ella being brought in for a few months to finish off someone else's storyline and it's a shame they didn't have the bravery to throw away the "happy ending" that they'd already pretty much ruined and have Scott leave and Ella stay on as Hayley.

I don't think Tom Green really did enough as Dexter to judge him in the part, and the character mainly served as a plot device to mess up Jai and Annie's reunion, but watching him in Dance Academy I was struck at how good a Dexter he could have been and how his character in that was exactly how Dexter should have been: The humour was there but reined in and with a genuine innocent empathy, plus a far better "Geek ends up with attractive girlfriend" storyline than the mess HA made of Dexter and April.

I remember the original Nick Smith made such a thudding lack of impact that when Chris Egan turned up one now-defunct TV mag made jokes about "relatives that have never been mentioned before", apparently having missed not only all the times Will and Hayley had mentioned him but the fact he'd already appeared.He was only in it for a couple of weeks from memory so it's hard to imagine how it might have played out.(Incidentally, I found myself giggling watching one of Will's early episode where he has a photo of himself with a boy and girl that look nothing like any of the other actors to play Hayley and Nick.)

I actually think Nancye Hayes did a pretty good job of Ailsa: She had the problem that she was nothing like Judy Nunn physically, but much like Lynne McGranger taking over as Irene, she seemed to get Ailsa's mannerisms perfectly and it's hard to see what else she could have done.(In contrast, Neighbours' recast of Libby might have had a few physical similarities but Michalas played the character completely differently, a lot more laidback than Kym's version.I remember at the time saying it was a daft idea and people insisting Libby was essential to the storyline, then when I watched the episodes I quickly concluded I could have written her out easily and she wasn't actually essential at all.)

Much as I liked Tempany Deckert as Selina, I did accept Louise Crawford in the role quite well.I remember around that time there were rumours that either Tempany was going to leave and Louise take over permanently or the producers were going to create a new character for Louise.It's a shame neither of those happened.

If Nathaniel returned in 2004 for the Olympic cliffhanger siege that was supposed to involve Scott rather than Sarah Lewis it would have been brilliant and scary but it would have flopped with the second actor big time.

Did you ever watch All Saints? Nathaniel Dean played a similar role in the 2007 cliffhanger.

He held the Emergency Department at gun point, planted a bomb in another part of the hospital to divert attention and kidnapped Erica. He was absolutely terrifying and played the psycho role brilliantly.

Yes I used to watch it and I clearly remember the 2007 cliffhanger as well. Nathaniel was absolutely terrifying I must say in that cliffhanger episode!

He's a great actor and he would have played the role of Scott Phillips superbly in 2004 if the producers went down the path of Scott holding half the characters hostage instead of Sarah Lewis but the second actor who played Scott in 2003 would have flopped I reckon.

Rebecca had 3 recasts (although Megan Connolly was only temp while the character was a regular). There's no stopping Jane Hall from reprising the role (character is alive and she DID play another Rebecca on another channel :) )for a visit but with only Alf, Roo and Maz around from her time it would be almost pointless.

Archived