Nathaniel "Nate" Cooper - Kyle Pryor

AznPride112

Yeah, I was a bit ranty there but since the beginning of last year I've become increasingly convinced Nate isn't a particularly nice person.He first met Sophie when she'd been badly injured in a car crash and was looking at a long recovery, so the fact he formed a relationship with her and married her while she was laid up in a hospital bed and viewing him as a hero who saved her life seems like a gross violation of professional ethics.Then he gets together with Ricky when she's his patient and just had a miscarriage, which a lot of people queried at the time and in retrospect I kind of agree with them. Then he moves back in with Sophie when she's in recovery from appendicitis, got bored of her pretty quickly and seemed to take the coward's way out of having a sort of affair and then telling her so she'd dump him.There definitely seems to be a pattern here, and if you analyse the character a bit more than the writers have probably done then the picture isn't particularly pretty.

Going by you're pattern he could make a move onto Maddy next :lol:

Yeah, I was a bit ranty there but since the beginning of last year I've become increasingly convinced Nate isn't a particularly nice person.He first met Sophie when she'd been badly injured in a car crash and was looking at a long recovery, so the fact he formed a relationship with her and married her while she was laid up in a hospital bed and viewing him as a hero who saved her life seems like a gross violation of professional ethics.Then he gets together with Ricky when she's his patient and just had a miscarriage, which a lot of people queried at the time and in retrospect I kind of agree with them. Then he moves back in with Sophie when she's in recovery from appendicitis, got bored of her pretty quickly and seemed to take the coward's way out of having a sort of affair and then telling her so she'd dump him.There definitely seems to be a pattern here, and if you analyse the character a bit more than the writers have probably done then the picture isn't particularly pretty.

Isn´t Maddy with Josh?

Isn´t Maddy with Josh?She's sort of with

She's sort with Oscar but Nate is treating her fpr her cancer at the moment. That why I was joking that he might hook up with hext as Red Ranger said Nate tends to get together with his patients.

Isn´t Maddy with Josh?She's sort of with

She's sort with Oscar but Nate is treating her fpr her cancer at the moment. That why I was joking that he might hook up with hext as Red Ranger said Nate tends to get together with his patients.

It´s weird, all the time she spent with Oscar she was only interested in Josh and then suddenly she´s into Oscar o.O Just goes to prove that even if someone don´t repay your feelings it may still happen as you spend more time together :) Josh and Maddy was kinda a fail couple from the start :)

But as someone else said, i think Sid was better than Nate to, i just don´t care for this doctor...

Edited by Jacklost

• 11 months later...

I know he is labelled as a ‘nice guy’ and ‘hot sexy doctor’ but is it just me who still thinks his character is really awkward? I mean in terms of body language and even sociability sometimes. I don’t believe he is a convincing doctor, and even though that is often down to the scripts, sometimes an actor can make it half believable anyway, which Kyle doesn’t in my opinion. On the other hand other doctors like Rachel, Sid and a variety of other guest actors and actresses have done a better job. Hannah as a nurse is far more believable too in my opinion.

Also his mannerisms in scenes with his love interests to me are also awkward. I wonder if that’s the way his character is written but I don’t think it is. For example Jake Speer and Jackson Gallagher (Oscar and Josh) often come across as awkward in scenes. But I think while scripts often demand it, its also the actors trying to be more believable as teenagers and I believe they do a good job with their characters. But I don’t believe the character of Nate requires this awkwardness at all, especially working as a doctor. But maybe its just me?

Like others have said on here I don’t think he is the saint people on the show often make him out to be. The way he treated Sophie was terrible, and as a doctor and someone who was meant to care about her he did a terrible job of helping her. If it wasn’t for him driving erratically in the 2014 finale the bus driver would not have died. Though I think we are meant to have forgotten that. To me there are other characters far more interesting and well played than Nate, yet he still seems to get a lot of screen time.

• Like 1

I think one of Nate's sins is that he's just forgettable.It's astonishing when you sit down and think about it how much we actually know about his past: His mother died when he was a teenager, his father moved him to Australia and dumped him on his grandparents, he saw a boy die because he went to the police so he developed a looser attitude to the law, he married one of his patients only to see her suffer a breakdown...And yet it still feels like we know nothing about him.Apart from Sophie turning up, nothing from his past has led to a storyline.Even when his dad turns up, he's been and gone within a week or so without affecting anything.It's just that Nate occasionally blurts out information from his past, then wanders around being bland.I swear in five years' time, everyone but the most devoted of viewer will have forgotten him completely.

• Like 5

I.think he was just casted for his looks. The characters nice enough. But hes so quiet..And other then being a good looking dude. He just doesent stand out. He merges in. Has no distinguishing qualities. So I.agree when he leaves at some point. I dont think.the audience well remember him much. I think im.just going to remember his scene with Irene and Alf.

19 hours ago, Luke39 said:

I.think he was just casted for his looks. The characters nice enough. But hes so quiet..And other then being a good looking dude. He just doesent stand out. He merges in. Has no distinguishing qualities. So I.agree when he leaves at some point. I dont think.the audience well remember him much. I think im.just going to remember his scene with Irene and Alf.

It's because of the messy writing. As RR1 points out his storylines about his background is too short and too weak.

In my opinion putting him with the Braxton clan and their wider members is destroying him, because he is never given the possibility to shine alone. He is just like Ash, Ricky, Andy and the rest. All of them would have been better if they were allowed to have their own story without continuing with the Braxton like storylines. I actually liked Nate through the Sophie storyline even if I didn't like his actions. It showed how difficult it can be to cut ties with someone who isn't good to you and you still have a soft heart for the person, and you drag yourself and the other person into a difficult and sometimes dangerous cycle. It was exaggerated of course, but it had some good elements in my opinion.

But Nate needed more background storylines, his father storyline was far too quick and rubbish. I want Nate as a character on his own, and not only in this endless storyline circle with Ricky. I want him to be more involved with the others instead. To be honest, I think it was bad that they didn't couple him with Hannah. It would have been good for both characters to develop good and normal storylines. And I loved him with Cat. When they first put them together they shouldn't have split them up. I feel they are keeping sacrificing a lot of characters just to have this Brax is the greatest thing, going on. 

• Like 3