H&A legend bows out after 20 years

Guest Light of the Bay

H&A actress Lynne McGranger has announced her departure from the hit Aussie soap after 20 years of playing Irene Roberts. She quit by "mutual consent" and will film her final scenes in June in a storyline which will see Irene question who she really is and what she wants out of life.

Lynne has been quoted as saying that "I've decided to bow out because I want to see what lies ahead for me beyond H&A and try out some new acting roles". A spokesperson for 7 network has said that "Lynne's departure is a huge loss for Home and Away but we wish Lynne well for the future and the door remains open for her return". Ray Meagher has paid tribute to his friend of 20 years by saying that "Lynne is a fine actress and I'll miss joking around with her on set, it just won't be the same without her. Even though her character won't be killed off, Lynne has made it clear that she will never return to the soap. "I've played her for so many years and I just want to close that chapter of my life for good".

Her departure will air close to the 2013 season finale and Home and Away producer Lucy Addario has promised it will be "dramatic" and "incredibly emotional".

For one second I believed it and wasn't even surprised, but as soon as I opened the post I knew it was an April Fools.

The fact that I wasn't surprised, or dare I say it saddened is interesting and disappointing though. Lynne's just there now, so if she were to leave I don't think it would affect the current format or show in the slightest (sadly). I'm going to hope Irene will actually make a real come back at some point in the future.

You had me for a minute though really who would blame her if it had been true?She does nothing and I don't recognise the show compared to when she first arrived.Sure things need to evolve but HAA have done a sucky job of it.

Archived