Don Fisher vs Alf Stewart?

Guest Homeandawayfan.

Don Fisher vs Alf Stewart? Who is the most iconic?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for Donald Fisher as like Alexx said, he left at a time when older members of the cast were as valued as the younger cast so he departed on a high with a good exit storyline and his character was never damaged (apart from 2007.) Unfortunately Alf hasn't had a good storyline of his own to really get his teeth into since maybe 2005/6? I can't even remember which says a lot. Alf doesn't really have a purpose in Summer Bay for me anymore as he just sits around acting as a mediator betweem Roo & Harvey. I'm surprised Ray hasn't ever said something to TPTB. Oh well.

I voted for Donald Fisher as like Alexx said, he left at a time when older members of the cast were as valued as the younger cast so he departed on a high with a good exit storyline and his character was never damaged (apart from 2007.) Unfortunately Alf hasn't had a good storyline of his own to really get his teeth into since maybe 2005/6? I can't even remember which says a lot. Alf doesn't really have a purpose in Summer Bay for me anymore as he just sits around acting as a mediator betweem Roo & Harvey. I'm surprised Ray hasn't ever said something to TPTB. Oh well.
Um NO!!! Alf is obviously the most iconic character in the shows history. His been there since the beginning and still remains relevant. Sure his had a quiet 2011 and 2012 but his still there. Oh and I have no idea what LaMurray123 is going on about. Last time I check Alf was at the centre of the 2010 season finale with all that stuff with Penn and he had that storyline where he almost went blind and hit baby Pippa I think in 2007 maybe. Oh and opening the bait shop with Ric and the drama with Bridget. Only true Home and Away fans would remember so I guess I understand LaMurray123. Oh and an icon is defined as a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something therefore Alf is more iconic then Don because when people who don't watch the show think about it. The first person they think of is Alf not Don. I know people who watch Home and Away who don't even know who Don is so in my opinion there really isn't a question of who's more iconic. But if you were to ask who was more iconic out of Sally and Alf well then that's a whole different ball game. Many people are voting because of the fact that they liked Don better then Alf and forgetting what the word iconic means personally I like Don better but his not more iconic then Alf. No way.

Um NO!!!

Alf is obviously the most iconic character in the shows history. His been there since the beginning and still remains relevant. Sure his had a quiet 2011 and 2012 but his still there. Oh and I have no idea what LaMurray123 is going on about. Last time I check Alf was at the centre of the 2010 season finale with all that stuff with Penn and he had that storyline where he almost went blind and hit baby Pippa I think in 2007 maybe. Oh and opening the bait shop with Ric and the drama with Bridget. Only true Home and Away fans would remember so I guess I understand LaMurray123.

LaMurray said he hadn't had a 'good' storyline since 2005/6. The Penn storyline started out well at first, but ended really badly IMO by resorting to a murder investigation, again. But I think as you mention, the storyline with him knocking Pippa down was very good, and the reveal of him and Colleen being related the following year was good fun too. But the past 3-4 years they really have run out of good ideas for him :( .

I have to agree though that I think Alf is more iconic. If Don was still living in SB I would have picked differently, but since Alf has been there for the full 25 years, it has to be him.

I think for the people who did stop watching years ago, then Donald is the one. From personal experience, whenever someone I know mentions old H&A, "Mr Fisher" is mentioned more than anyone else... the few times I've heard Alf mentioned is as "Ailsa and Alf", rather than as an individual.

I find it hard to choose between the two. Post 2000, it's Donald by a mile, but before then, they both brought equal amounts of good to the the show.

Don last appeared in 2007 so there will be people who have tuned in since then who in no way would have known who Don was but to us oldies who have watched the show since day 1 virtually may beg to differ on Alf being more iconic. I personally find Fisher more iconic. Alf has been there since Day 1 but longevity is not always a qualification for being more iconic. Fisher was the top dog of the school for many years and Alf ran a small grocers shop so Don was more powerful but both were colourful yet I think Don beat Alf slightly during his 15 years from 1988 to 2003. I feel Don was much more colourful than Alf up to his original departure in 2003.

Alf has not had a decent storyline since about 2006.

Wish I could vote for both. Alf is only slightly ahead as far as being an "icon" is concerned, but Mr Fisher was pretty unbeatable as Alf has lost some of the edge from his FLAMIN' TEMPER in the later years.

Well, He boxed Will and threatened to "flamin' kill" Penn (probably the maddest he'd gotten in years)

Archived