Scored music.

Guest Light of the Bay

Sorry for bumping an old topic but it is by me :P

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the old underscores and how it gave H&A it's own identity and familiarity. The British soap EastEnders doesn't use underscores like Australian soaps do but it has used Julia's Theme for dramatic moments/emotional scenes and departures since 1985. I think it's a real shame that H&A have changed their style so much and there isn't really that identity anymore. I've been hoping that they'd revive the old underscores for the 25th anniversary but there's no evidence to suggest that. It'd have been nice if H&A could have perhaps preserved Bobby's theme throughout the years - it's been 5 years now since we heard it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if Bobby's theme was to return, it would be great if Morag 'inherited' it for emotional scenes. Ofcourse it would still be a rare occasion, but all the more special for it.

I don't like it being used as a general nostalgic theme, it worked in episode 4000 because it was a celebration of Home and Away (disguised as Alf's birthday) and having a piece of music associated only with Bobby made her seem a part of that celebration. However, I didn't appreciate it so much with Sally's exit. As nice as it was to hear it again (though I preferred the episode 4000 version) it was used over a very personal moment for Sally and there were more fitting options I think. It doesn't matter to the casual viewer ofcourse.... :P

Was there ever a Sally's theme?

Yes there was, atleast for the first few years. You can hear it in this episode here . It's been used quite a few times over emotional scenes featuring Sally, I'd say atleast 7/8 times so far in the repeats. However, I think it may have eventually become one of the general sad- themes, because I remember it being used over a scene between Irene, Fin and Damien in 1992.

Was there ever a Sally's theme?

Yes there was, atleast for the first few years. You can hear it in this episode here . It's been used quite a few times over emotional scenes featuring Sally, I'd say atleast 7/8 times so far in the repeats. However, I think it may have eventually become one of the general sad- themes, because I remember it being used over a scene between Irene, Fin and Damien in 1992.

I think were heard it really recently on the early years in a scene about Sally's party

^That was a beautiful piece of music. I really wish they would update them and use them again. It adds so much more to the scene - the music used now is so dull and monotonous in comparison.

There was a scene floating about years ago that featured Leah and Dan talking in the kitchen during Flynn's funeral episode and Sally's theme, or a slightly different version of her theme, was placed over the top. It made the scene really memorable and emotional and completed slotted in perfectly. It didn't seem dated at all - so it goes to show that they really could re-introduce melodic piano themes if they wanted to, but they obviously dont.

The emotional piano/string based stuff seems to have been completely wiped out since The River Boys era started. Now it's cold and generic guitar riffs.

Thanks Andrew, I remember it now. I wish they would use an updated version of this for her return.

Archived