Scored music.

Guest Light of the Bay

I am aware that from the Pilot episode of Home and Away in 1988 Mike Perjanik composed underscores until 2003? I was watching episode 3807 which was shown over the summer break and in the credits Nick Perjanik (his Son) was credited as the composer of scored music. I dunno if anyone knows who composes underscores now? I'm assuming it isn't Nick as in 2004 there were some amazing underscores. They were modern yet emotional and actually had a warm feeling. They weren't just guitar based either... I think several instruments were used. But since 2006 scored music has gotten progressively worse - as have the storylines (IMHO).

In the last few years the music has developed a rock theme which sounds so bland and not emotianally stirring in any way. I know that Mike Perjanik returned to compose underscores for the few episodes that led up to episode 4000 and again in 2008 during Sally's departure storyline. He is obviously very gifted so I dunno why they don't just keep him.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh right, I didn't realise that he'd been around for so long. Maybe he'll come back for the 25th anniversary next year. I wonder if his son is still in the business...

I think Nick Perjanik still does it, doesn't he?

I really haven't a clue, I'll need to look at a 2012 episode to check. If he does then I'm very disappointed in his work. He produced some amazing underscores in 2004!

So tonight. in separate posts you've called for John Holmes, Nick Perjanik, Steve Ball, Lucy Addario and the entire team of writers to be sacked or leave their jobs and then things will get better. I don't think it's quite that easy and if you come across as too trigger happy, you'll probably struggle to get anyone to work for you.

I'm assuming the producers asked the music team to change the style of underscoring to suit the current format. Or maybe it was Nick Perjanik and Co who suggested this current style themselves. I do remember an interview with them a few years ago and they said that usually they have a lot of creative input and are given control over the music.

I think there was a dramatic increase in the standard of music after the Olympic break in 2004 - they came up with some cracker scores, like the Hayley/Noah Ghost theme and in general the music was quite emotional. I think these piano based scores continued to pop up until 2010 (although less prominent) - such as Marylin's Return Theme. Then they seemed to completely phase them out.

Mike Perjanik's music really shaped the entire landscape of the show during his years - he had a much more consistent style which made the show feel more fluid over the years - whereas the current team seem to change there style with each score, which makes it all seem much more erratic Imo

Archived