Storylines

Guest --HAA

There are storylines for the other characters, to appease viewers who may dislike the Braxton characters. However, so little effort appears to be focussed on these storylines and other characters that they are often very dull.

This becomes a vicious circle as the Braxton fans find episodes/scenes minus the Braxtons dull, and the fans of the rest of the cast aren't satisfied so they stop watching.

This leaves the producers with a smaller and smaller viewership of purely Braxton-obsessed fans, who will switch off as soon as these characters leave.

Absolutely. You've hit the nail on the head.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble is the writers do think up some good stories, and they start to build them up. But then they just fall flat with a disappointing conclusion.

Harveys exit and Leah's liver transplant stories spring to mind. They could have made a much stronger impact, but they were both cut short.

Seems that the writers of the show must of suffered from writers block. :lol:

^^ I beg to differ.

Although I'm currently not watching the show I am avidly reading the spoilers in the hope that a storyline will induce me to start viewing again and of the past 4 months nothing has.

The ideas are formulaic. In some instances they have been done before and much better. A cult storyline should have had us drawn in like new members of the cult and unfolded so that we saw it wasn't as good as we were promised. We should have experienced along with the cult members the shock and dissolution before feeling the tension as they escaped from the cult and the overbearing presence of their father.

The bomb storyline should have been devastating and actually KILLED people and we should have seen the after effects for much longer, a trial, rebuilding of property and lives. It would also be nice if after some events like an explosion we see more signs of PTSD.

You can come up with whatever fantastical storylines you want but if you don't bring the audience in on some level, if they don't connect to the character, to their back story and experiences, then they aren't going to care if the show gets cancelled.

We are a few months behind in the UK and a couple of weeks ago the show was very much like how the show was before the Braxtons but I worry it is just a small phase and will go back to the crime spree soap it has been since the Braxxies arrived. The past few weeks have seen more everyday scenes, and focus on the school and Tamara running for captian, school scenes very reminiscent of the Flathead days which are now long gone. Lucy Addario is just so blinkered she wont listen to the longer standing fans of the 26 year old soap.

Can I just say that now the Braxton fans are commenting on the poor quality writing I find it quite hilarious?

Why do people who hate the Braxtons always refer to the "Braxton fans" as being mutually exclusive from other Home and Away fans. I'm a fan of the Braxtons but I'm also a long-term fan of the show and I enjoy many characters outside of the Braxtons as well. It's just getting to the point of insulting now and frankly I'm sick of this stereotyping and categorisation.

I don't think the writing is perfect by any means and I certainly think the writers have placed greater emphasis on plot-driven stories as opposed to character-driven stories which was more prevalent in the Early Years, but I still watch the show because I still enjoy seeing it evolve and what direction it takes. I also enjoy watching most characters barring a few exceptions like Evie for example and I like the idea of staying loyal to the show no matter if the quality is good or not.

Can I just say that now the Braxton fans are commenting on the poor quality writing I find it quite hilarious?

Why do people who hate the Braxtons always refer to the "Braxton fans" as being mutually exclusive from other Home and Away fans. I'm a fan of the Braxtons but I'm also a long-term fan of the show and I enjoy many characters outside of the Braxtons as well. It's just getting to the point of insulting now and frankly I'm sick of this stereotyping and categorisation.

I don't think the writing is perfect by any means and I certainly think the writers have placed greater emphasis on plot-driven stories as opposed to character-driven stories which was more prevalent in the Early Years, but I still watch the show because I still enjoy seeing it evolve and what direction it takes. I also enjoy watching most characters barring a few exceptions like Evie for example and I like the idea of staying loyal to the show no matter if the quality is good or not.

I can always rely on you to say some wise words Jezz. I also find todays show quite plot driven unlike 25 years ago but i still think it is moderately realistic. I still watch this show as it has the most colourful history of any Aussie soap ever made.

Anything that happens in Home And Away can happen and does happen to ordinary people, well the basic outline can, crimes, lust, affairs, it is just how they are handled can differ. It was slightly more realistic 20 years ago but I dont think it was much more realistic back then. I dont always get this "Ah the good old days" cliche anyway.

The show has been going for 26 years now, and counting. It will deffo reach 30 and probably beyond.

Except I don't hate the Braxtons or their fans, whatever their age, location or no matter how long they've been watching the show and in no way did I categorise age, location, and length of time said Braxton fans were watching in my original post. I referred to said fans as a 'collective'. Next time I'll know to be more specific in my posts and add a legal disclaimer.

In addition my post referred to the fact that comments have originated from a number of the same Braxton fans (who in no way are referred to with regards to their age, location, length of viewing time and inclination to support other characters within the show) that have been continually putting down anyone who comments on the show's writing, regardless of what said commentators have said/written regarding the Braxtons.

And maybe I'm a little bit fed up of being labelled a hater.

If you wish to continue watching the show that is your decision and I applaud it, however I'm actively on the 'wait and see if it improves' bench because in my own way I'm as loyal as the next fan in that I'm hoping that it will be a show worth my time and watching again and in my estimation that can only be when the writing improves, not only in terms of storyline but also characterisation (including characters introduction into the soap and their backstory).

Incidentally, as an aside, I've written fan fics with the Braxtron's as main characters and have also planned to have them as central characters in my next Rola story, 'Families and Trouble'.

Archived