Storylines

Guest --HAA

I don't see a relationship between Alf and Irene either.

I'm actually happy with the way Alf, Irene and Marilyn are being used at the moment. I like their interractions with other cast members and don't see them as "random" but as an integral part of storylines.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you saying you don't want to see them have storylines of their own? There's so much potential for these characters. Alf's son Duncan could return with a family of his own and Alf could get another chance with his son. Maz could explore her past or Fisher could return and maybe they'd finally get some closure. As for Irene... she has children that could return and there's so much more - a return of her cancer?

And I see these interactions as random becuase we no longer have bonding scenes between the younger cast and the older cast so we're just meant to assume that they're close. And that's what makes the interactions appear random. I wouldn't have a problem if we had scenes where the teens get to know Alf, Maz etc.

I'm saying that the level of storyline involvement of these long term characters is about right. I don't concede that they don't have storylines. Alf was involved in the storyline with Celia, Marilyn has had storylines with Sid and that other character whose name escapes me. Irene had the major storyline involving her almost being lost at sea. They are not frequent but as long term characters if they were they would soon become "burned out".

A few months ago I would have agreed with you regarding the lack of involvement and bonding between the older and younger casts. However I think this has been the major improvement in the show's storylines in the last few months.

Yeah but once they've had their story that is in about 1 episode a week they just go into the background and when we do see them that's when they dish out advice to characters. I would like to see some bonding scenes between Irene and Tamara perhaps where she gets to know her but we haven't so far. It's a shame. The Braxtons' have dominated the show for almost 2 years now so don't you think they're burnt out? Or does that just apply to older characters? :wink:

Two years is almost "the blink of an eye" compared with the longevity of Alf, Irene and Co. If Brax, Heath and Casey stay for 10+ years then they would have to be written differently. I suspect that their eyes will turn toward Hollywood sooner rather then later.

I'm saying that the level of storyline involvement of these long term characters is about right. I don't concede that they don't have storylines. Alf was involved in the storyline with Celia, Marilyn has had storylines with Sid and that other character whose name escapes me. Irene had the major storyline involving her almost being lost at sea. They are not frequent but as long term characters if they were they would soon become "burned out".

A few months ago I would have agreed with you regarding the lack of involvement and bonding between the older and younger casts. However I think this has been the major improvement in the show's storylines in the last few months.

I think the problem is I don't see the interaction between Alf and Irene and the younger cast as meaningful or bonding - because it's flash in the pan type stuff. It isn't a genuine friendship that we see grow and develop over time, it's just a random scene here and there with a character they interact with once or twice. I do like these sort of quirky scenes, but I don't see them as meaningful.

I disagree with those saying Alf doesn't get any screen time - I think he get's a decent amount, we saw this with his involvement with Celia, which I really liked and is a positive step. It would just be nice if the characters were re-established and actually had more of an actual purpose instead of floating about dishing out advice to random characters, young or old.

I think it's only because we have old footage and know how better written they used to be, when compared to today. I'd just love to see some genuine bonding going on. I suppose the closest Alf's got in recent times is with Romeo, that has a slight resemblance to the way he was with Mitch but it's still missing that heart warming *something*.

In relation to these characters having big storyline. I agree with you John that they shouldn't be given massive dramatic storylines all the time because it becomes silly and unbelievable/tedious (exactly how I view the Braxtons continuous 'drama' - it happens so often it is boring and predictable). I DO think that every single character, including Alf, Irene, Marilyn etc. should be given an ongoing story arch though.

I think that since Will was letting Alf go down with murder and Irene was on Will's side, Alf and Irene haven't been as friendly. Although whether or not the show has done that on purpose or not I question. There wasn't a scene with her apologising. Also, does anyone remember how close Alf and Leah used to be. At one point 2002, 2003 she was like a daughter to him.

They are great friends though - we used to get scenes with Alf popping over to Irene's for a chat or vice versa but not anymore.

:lol: like

I have often lamented the fact that the more established cast members rarely get storylines, and I still think it's a problem. I definitely agree that Alf's recent storyline with Celia has been quite good, and I think it's probably very difficult to create storylines for these long-serving characters that aren't a rehash of something from earlier in their time on the show, and which doesn't break with continuity.

But having said that I find it worrying that Irene's last big storyline was her cancer (two years ago), and Lou's death (four years ago!). As I said above it is difficult to keep churning out decent storylines for a character (they seem to be have been having that problem with the Braxtons for a while now :P ), but I would agree that these older cast members don't need major storylines. I think it would just be nice for Irene to get her fair share of the relationship storylines that the younger cast get.

For example if in 2013 Brax and Natalie could have only 17 storylines where they break up and see other people, and then get back together, then perhaps it would leave room for Irene to do that once this year? I think it was actually a real shame that they killed off Lou as a plot device, he and Irene could have made a really good long-term couple.

^Every so often people suggest putting Alf and Irene together and I always wonder why? Do you think they have some sort of romantic chemistry going on? I can't see it, to me it would just be really awkward and they would constantly be clashing.

I`m watching old episodes of H&A from 1991, and I so miss the closeness Alf and Ailsa Stewart had. I would love for Alf to be part of a couple again and for him to be happy as I have loved Alf since the 1st episode. But if I`m really honest, I`ll admit that a pairing of Alf and Irene wouldn`t work because Ray likes to take time awayto persue other projects like stage acting, and I know he wouldn`t want to be tied down to H&A commitments all the time. I truly understand that, it`s just me being selfish.

^No, I completely agree with you about Alf and Ailsa, they were a true 'super couple' and worked perfectly together. I'm sure that if Judy Nunn was still on the show, Alf wouldn't have changed as much as he has over the past decade. If they were still in the show together I can imagine that they would still have that great chemistry.

But Irene and Alf would be nothing like Ailsa and Alf because Irene is nothing like Ailsa and they have no romantic chemistry at all, or any special on screen chemistry for that matter. I think it would be a big mistake to pair them up just because they are of a certain age and single.

What they should do is give Alf a partner who he would realistically be attracted to - a woman his own age and with similar quirks and traits to Ailsa.

Archived