Storylines

Guest --HAA

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just say that now the Braxton fans are commenting on the poor quality writing I find it quite hilarious?

Why do people who hate the Braxtons always refer to the "Braxton fans" as being mutually exclusive from other Home and Away fans. I'm a fan of the Braxtons but I'm also a long-term fan of the show and I enjoy many characters outside of the Braxtons as well. It's just getting to the point of insulting now and frankly I'm sick of this stereotyping and categorisation.

I don't think the writing is perfect by any means and I certainly think the writers have placed greater emphasis on plot-driven stories as opposed to character-driven stories which was more prevalent in the Early Years, but I still watch the show because I still enjoy seeing it evolve and what direction it takes. I also enjoy watching most characters barring a few exceptions like Evie for example and I like the idea of staying loyal to the show no matter if the quality is good or not.

Except I don't hate the Braxtons or their fans, whatever their age, location or no matter how long they've been watching the show and in no way did I categorise age, location, and length of time said Braxton fans were watching in my original post. I referred to said fans as a 'collective'. Next time I'll know to be more specific in my posts and add a legal disclaimer.

In addition my post referred to the fact that comments have originated from a number of the same Braxton fans (who in no way are referred to with regards to their age, location, length of viewing time and inclination to support other characters within the show) that have been continually putting down anyone who comments on the show's writing, regardless of what said commentators have said/written regarding the Braxtons.

And maybe I'm a little bit fed up of being labelled a hater.

If you wish to continue watching the show that is your decision and I applaud it, however I'm actively on the 'wait and see if it improves' bench because in my own way I'm as loyal as the next fan in that I'm hoping that it will be a show worth my time and watching again and in my estimation that can only be when the writing improves, not only in terms of storyline but also characterisation (including characters introduction into the soap and their backstory).

Incidentally, as an aside, I've written fan fics with the Braxtron's as main characters and have also planned to have them as central characters in my next Rola story, 'Families and Trouble'.

I think for too long we've both been sick of this 'supposed' divide between the Braxton and non-Braxton fans and how both sides have been stereotyped and categorised to a certain extent. At the end of the day we're Home and Away fans and you as a fan have the right to choose to watch the show or not. I guess 'loyalty' can work in other forms and not just purely watching the show consistently like I do myself.

For your sake, I hope the show interests you again with strong storylines and good characterisation as you mentioned earlier. I also might check out your fan fics as well which sound like interesting reads.

At the end of the day, I don't like fighting with fellow fans even if we disagree on some things.

Can I just say that now the Braxton fans are commenting on the poor quality writing I find it quite hilarious?

Why do people who hate the Braxtons always refer to the "Braxton fans" as being mutually exclusive from other Home and Away fans. I'm a fan of the Braxtons but I'm also a long-term fan of the show and I enjoy many characters outside of the Braxtons as well. It's just getting to the point of insulting now and frankly I'm sick of this stereotyping and categorisation.

I don't think the writing is perfect by any means and I certainly think the writers have placed greater emphasis on plot-driven stories as opposed to character-driven stories which was more prevalent in the Early Years, but I still watch the show because I still enjoy seeing it evolve and what direction it takes. I also enjoy watching most characters barring a few exceptions like Evie for example and I like the idea of staying loyal to the show no matter if the quality is good or not.

Except I don't hate the Braxtons or their fans, whatever their age, location or no matter how long they've been watching the show and in no way did I categorise age, location, and length of time said Braxton fans were watching in my original post. I referred to said fans as a 'collective'. Next time I'll know to be more specific in my posts and add a legal disclaimer.

In addition my post referred to the fact that comments have originated from a number of the same Braxton fans (who in no way are referred to with regards to their age, location, length of viewing time and inclination to support other characters within the show) that have been continually putting down anyone who comments on the show's writing, regardless of what said commentators have said/written regarding the Braxtons.

And maybe I'm a little bit fed up of being labelled a hater.

If you wish to continue watching the show that is your decision and I applaud it, however I'm actively on the 'wait and see if it improves' bench because in my own way I'm as loyal as the next fan in that I'm hoping that it will be a show worth my time and watching again and in my estimation that can only be when the writing improves, not only in terms of storyline but also characterisation (including characters introduction into the soap and their backstory).

Incidentally, as an aside, I've written fan fics with the Braxtron's as main characters and have also planned to have them as central characters in my next Rola story, 'Families and Trouble'.

I think for too long we've both been sick of this 'supposed' divide between the Braxton and non-Braxton fans and how both sides have been stereotyped and categorised to a certain extent. At the end of the day we're Home and Away fans and you as a fan have the right to choose to watch the show or not. I guess 'loyalty' can work in other forms and not just purely watching the show consistently like I do myself.

For your sake, I hope the show interests you again with strong storylines and good characterisation as you mentioned earlier. I also might check out your fan fics as well which sound like interesting reads.

At the end of the day, I don't like fighting with fellow fans even if we disagree on some things.

Very well said. I will defend H&A if I feel the need to and Ihate conflict on here but if I feel something has to be said in defence of H&A I will say it. And the fact is that even though it had a few older characters in 1988 and 1989, 11 of the characters were under 25. H&A has always had a big younger character demographic. Neighbours and Home And Away gave some of the ageing and outdated UK soaps (Corrie, Emmerdale Farm, Take The High Road for example) a kick up the backside when they were first show over here. Being more younger character orientated they attracted more younger people to soaps.

People who defend H&A dont defend it blindly we just defend the show when we feel the need to.

Very well said. I will defend H&A if I feel the need to and Ihate conflict on here but if I feel something has to be said in defence of H&A I will say it. And the fact is that even though it had a few older characters in 1988 and 1989, 11 of the characters were under 25. H&A has always had a big younger character demographic. Neighbours and Home And Away gave some of the ageing and outdated UK soaps (Corrie, Emmerdale Farm, Take The High Road for example) a kick up the backside when they were first show over here. Being more younger character orientated they attracted more younger people to soaps.

I think the difference is that even though there were younger characters back in the earlier years, or even eleven years ago, the older characters had a far greater and much more important presence in the show and they were given a decent chunk of screen time developing them and giving them storylines alongside the younger characters. I.e. they seemed to be looked after the same way as the latest ‘sensation’ and had more of a purpose. That just doesn’t seem to be case anymore. Not just with the older vs younger characters either. I think the overall balance is wrong.

I think the fact that people who don't even watch the current show still swing by the forum and discuss it passionately shows that we are still loyal to it, perhaps in a different way. The reason I may criticise the current format is because I’m disappointed that a show I watched without fail up until a couple of years ago has become something I dislike and find boring.

Archived