Why does Irene NEVER get screentime?

I remember reading somewhere years ago that someone (possibly Bevan Lee?) wanted to write Irene out sometime around 2003ish but someone else (Coral Douryn?) fought her corner and convinced them to keep Irene in the show. (I think it was Coral Douryn because she wrote the character of Irene so spot on, although so did Bevan in his stints so I am confusing myself...)

Anyway my point is that I now wonder whether or not this should have happened. Irene has become less than a shadow of her former self. She is just a shell. In the 90s she was a MAIN character, she had storylines of her own, and was DEEPLY involved in the storylines of others. Yes she was a foster mother (a fallible one) but she was also a character in her own right. In the early part of the 2000 years she had settled down a bit into a mothering role but was still a strong character. In the later part of the 2000 years her character was up and down, sometimes completely ignored for full years and other times she was a strong character. But now she has moved into 100% Background Character category. If they have no interest in bringing Irene back to life then I think maybe whoever suggested writing Irene out all those years ago should maybe have got their way after all...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading somewhere years ago that someone (possibly Bevan Lee?) wanted to write Irene out sometime around 2003ish but someone else (Coral Douryn?) fought her corner and convinced them to keep Irene in the show. (I think it was Coral Douryn because she wrote the character of Irene so spot on, although so did Bevan in his stints so I am confusing myself...)

Can't really add much more other than to give one source confirming what Coral said:

If you could choose one character to be from Home and Away, who and why would you be that character?
Irene! Always my favourite character. I was horrified when I found out there were plans to write her out when I came on board. Hopefully I gave her strong storylines and really grounded the character.
She may well have gone into more detail on the forum at the time, but sadly those conversations are lost. Though I may have to remember to ask her at some point.

Can't really add much more other than to give one source confirming what Coral said:

If you could choose one character to be from Home and Away, who and why would you be that character?
Irene! Always my favourite character. I was horrified when I found out there were plans to write her out when I came on board. Hopefully I gave her strong storylines and really grounded the character.
She may well have gone into more detail on the forum at the time, but sadly those conversations are lost. Though I may have to remember to ask her at some point.

Yes! That's the interview I was thinking of. Looks like I read between the lines a bit...

• 5 months later...

It is a case of Lucy and Louise liking the hot male totty over longer standing characters and older ones such as Alf and Irene. I think about 80% of the H&A characters are under 35.

They are happy just having alf say "strewth" and Irene saying "Enjoy your meal" rather than give them stories, while letting the younger characters take centre stage.

It is a case of Lucy and Louise liking the hot male totty over longer standing characters and older ones such as Alf and Irene. I think about 80% of the H&A characters are under 35.

They are happy just having alf say "strewth" and Irene saying "Enjoy your meal" rather than give them stories, while letting the younger characters take centre stage.

Pretty much.

The problem lies deeper though, I think. It's like the writers have forgotten how to develop characters and keep them in character.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Exactly why i say Home & Away has become Hollyoaks. It's tits & arse over everything else.

Archived