Why does Irene NEVER get screentime?

I'm tired and sick of Irene not getting much screentime...

Why can't Irene get a big storyline soon? It's a disgrace that Lynne McGranger is not being given much to do. All Irene does nowadays is toss a salad in a plate and say a few lines :(

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also an Irene fan and Lynne is a great actress. I am beginning to wonder whether both Lynne and Ray have an arrangement with the producers that they are only involved in short term storylines so that they are free to pursue other interests like Lynne's pantomimes and Ray;s involvement in shows like Priscilla.

I hasten to add that this is purely speculation on my part. I have no inside knowledge or insight.

I have thought about that John but I'm not sure that's the case.

From what Ray has said in interviews it sounds like he would like to have more storylines and he expressed delight in a recent interview of having something to do now that Sally's returned and he can do "emotional stuff" again. He admitted that Alf hasn't really done anything of note since Sally's departure which was over 5 years ago!

I'm not sure about Lynne but I'd be disappointed if it were true. Irene has become so pointless. She's probably the most pointless character in any soap. I mean, what are her reasons for still living in Summer Bay? She has no ties and spends most of her time in the Diner kitchen "tossing salad on a plate" as James points out!

well... the official website allowed me to take a look at that video (even if I am in Norway) and he is saying that he hasn't done much since she left, and especially not this kind of emotional stuff..

But he didn't mention the Penn storyline.. Yes, the storyline was dreadful and no emotional stuff, but Alf had a lot of scenes back then.

I am with John about this.... we don't know the reason why Irene (and some other older character) don't get much screentime. So we shouldn't make any suggestions or assumptions.

But I do think that it is probably the same on the H&A set as in other jobs, that if they want to keep you and you have worked many years at the place, they give you bigger freedom just to keep you...

To find a storyline challenging or exciting to act out does not mean the storyline is good on the screen. Lynne McGranger said once in an interview I saw on youtube that she thought that H&A had become to violent, but at the same time she said that she wanted a new stalker storyline... Isn't that violent?

And sometimes I wonder about what they are paid to say, and what they actually mean. I do think that Ray Meagher was paid to promote the 2010 as back to the roots... because the show had got a lot of bad press in Australia (some of it even reached the tabloids up here!) and it was important to give a good impression of the show.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall a conversation between Louise and Steven (Light of the Bay) about this topic on Twitter (May 3rd). Steven was asking why she continued to ignore viewers that wanted the older characters (i.e. Irene) to have greater storyline involvement. Her reply was that Steven had no idea what she was currently working on, suggesting that there may have been material in the works for her by that point.

So I would guess if Irene is still twiddling her thumbs come the new year then Louise really is full of hot air.

I think Irene does have a storyline coming up but if she doesn't have a storyline this year at all, I will be annoyed. It's Irene's 20th year this year so she has every right to have a big storyline this year. Irene is actually the 2nd longest HAA serving star, after Sally. But Sally had bigger storylines than Irene though.

I recall a conversation between Louise and Steven (Light of the Bay) about this topic on Twitter (May 3rd). Steven was asking why she continued to ignore viewers that wanted the older characters (i.e. Irene) to have greater storyline involvement. Her reply was that Steven had no idea what she was currently working on, suggesting that there may have been material in the works for her by that point.

So I would guess if Irene is still twiddling her thumbs come the new year then Louise really is full of hot air.

... Wait, you mean our forums own Light of the Bay? I always thought he was a she facepalm_zps28d7fef8.gif. Sorry for the mix up and the off-topic moment.

Louise has very little idea what SHE is working on let alone any of us... :P

Archived