Why does Irene NEVER get screentime?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked Irene because she is a very independent person. Maybe the writers struggle giving her storylines because her character is like this.

For me, one of Irene's biggest highlights and strengths was her storyline with Diana. They both bounced off each other and it was amazing to watch. I miss those 2 feuding.

I am glad that Irene still lives in the beach house but why hasn't Marilyn mentioned it? When Marilyn first moved back to the Bay back in the mid 90s, she tried to buy the house from Irene because she loved it so much. They ended up moving in together. I am a bit sad that this hasn't been acknowledged at all since Marilyn has returned. I would love to see Marilyn and Irene living back in the beach house. Kick out Bianca and April (they are boring!).

Irene has fostered many children over the years yet but they are bearly ever mentioned again. What happened to Nick? Tasha? Finn? Hayley? Joey?

Irene was a surrogate mother to Finn. The baby was kidnapped by the commune but later was found and returned. Why hasnt Irene ever mentioned this baby? This was about 16 years ago all this happened. A long time ago but with roots like these, why can't they bring this character back to the bay? This could open so many storylines for Irene.

Irenes son Nathan was always in trouble with the law. He returned (in late 90s from memory) but then he vanished again. Bring it back and have him be involved with the Braxton brothers.

Irenes other son Damian grew his hair out and became a priest. As radical and out there it was, nothing has been mentioned since. Has he gotten married? Had kids?

There is sooooooooooooooo many storylines the writers of Home and Away could come up with for Irene. Are they really trying?

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed about Irene in recent years is that she is always dishing out advice and being there for other people but no one is there for her. She has no friends to have a catch up and have a cuppa with which is a shame. Also, she is never asked about her life. I just want to see my favourite character be treated properly and have constant storylines that allows Irene to once again be a central part of the community. Right now I wouldn't even be bothered if she left. And that's a shame as I used to LOVE Irene!

• 7 months later...

I'm still waiting for that storyline she's supposed to be getting!

Ugh I just hate the crap writers we have who are obsessed with St. Brax!

Maybe the script writers decided not to do it anymore? :(

It's Irene 20th year this year and she hasn't had a storyline of her own.

I've sent a letter but I'm not expecting a reply.

If they have decided not to then I'm beginning to think they have a problem with Lynne.

It's a disgrace but the silence from Louise Bowes and Lucy Addario regarding Irene/older characters is deafening.

Does anyone think a campaign from this site would work?

The only screen time Irene ever gets is either dishing out some advice along with a salad in the Diner, dishing out some advice whilst folding the washing in her house, or lurking in the background in the Diner kitchen.

Her cancer storyline was ridiculous. She hasn't developed as a character since I don't know when... 2005? And even then she was becoming a shadow of her former self.- when compared to Irene in 2003, which Imo is the last year before she started to slide (slowly at first) resulting in who she is today.

The way I look at Irene is that she had ten fantastic years as quite an iconic character, well defined, bold, comical at times and well developed/consistent (1993-2004). Then the new-era Irene; inconsistent, weak/no personality, more of an extra/guest character, changing to suit the storyline, no solid ties and not much of a purpose (2005-2013).

Archived