Why does Irene NEVER get screentime?

She has two sons and a daughter. Damo, Nathan and Fin. She was also surrogate mother to Fin's child.

During the 90's and into the early 00's they did a reasonably good job at keeping her in contact with her real kids - Damo came back a few times until 1996, Fin was last seen in 1997 and Nathan in 2001.

They really need to bring at least one of them back, my preference would be Damien. He was always my favorite. Joey and Selina should also make a come back, though I don't know if either of the actors would be available/up for it. I know the actor behind Damien is still acting, I've seen him in a couple of films and dramas.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has two sons and a daughter. Damo, Nathan and Fin. She was also surrogate mother to Fin's child.

During the 90's and into the early 00's they did a reasonably good job at keeping her in contact with her real kids - Damo came back a few times until 1996, Fin was last seen in 1997 and Nathan in 2001.

They really need to bring at least one of them back, my preference would be Damien. He was always my favorite. Joey and Selina should also make a come back, though I don't know if either of the actors would be available/up for it. I know the actor behind Damien is still acting, I've seen him in a couple of films and dramas.

Yeah they should bring one of her children back - it's been too long! I'm just sick of seeing Irene behind the counter in the Diner serving coffee and doing nothing. She just has no purpose in the show anymore. Frankly I'm surprised Lynne has stayed as long as she has. It's the same situation with Alf, he just sits in SBH drinking his cup of tea and scoffing on biscuits. I hope things will change in 2013.

• 3 weeks later...

Well since Home and Away returned to UK screens a couple of weeks ago I have only seen Irene in a small number of episodes. She has mostly just been tossing salad in the Diner in a bad mood. It's pretty much all she's done in the last 3 years at least. It really annoys me as Lynne is such a great actress and her talents are being wasted. What the HELL are the writers thinking?

I read an interview on the site with Coral Drouyn (former script producer) and she said that stories should be shared equally amongst the characters and they should always be relatable. It's just a shame that the show is in such a state...

I completely agree about Irene. But I do give the producers credit for giving the adult characters, like Gina and John screen time. And Colleen (despite the lackluster departure storyline) also had a lot more to do in her last 12 months.

I still think they need to give the entire cast a much more even amount of screen time and character development instead of focusing on a handful of characters (River Boys) whilst the remaining characters sit around drinking coffee and not adding much to the show.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed that in the last week or so, Irene has been getting some more screen time! However, she mostly just tosses salad leaves in the Diner and doesn't really do much but at least she's being noticed a little more... such as having a brief chat with Alf. There was a scene in Monday's episode I think it was.... where Irene had Darcy over at her house and they were just kinda talking about homework and stuff and it reminded me so much of when Irene used to have kids in her house and she interacted with them. I know she's had April with her forn a while but it didn't really work having her with Irene. I seem to remember that ^alexx mentioned that Irene has become Lynne McGranger just saying lines now and that seems to be the biggest problem. Is her character too far gone to be salvaged?

I think bringing one of her children back could do wonders for the character as it would give her some purpose which she is sorely lacking. I've noticed that since the Corey poisoning stoyline of 2006, Irene gets one big story every couple of years but even then it's only about 1 episode a week. Then in between that time she is just being grumpy in the Diner. I really do love Irene and she deserves so much more. In a way I sort of blame Lynne McGranger for allowing her character to be reduced to what it is.

I've noticed that in the last week or so, Irene has been getting some more screen time! However, she mostly just tosses salad leaves in the Diner and doesn't really do much but at least she's being noticed a little more... such as having a brief chat with Alf. There was a scene in Monday's episode I think it was.... where Irene had Darcy over at her house and they were just kinda talking about homework and stuff and it reminded me so much of when Irene used to have kids in her house and she interacted with them. I know she's had April with her forn a while but it didn't really work having her with Irene. I seem to remember that ^alexx mentioned that Irene has become Lynne McGranger just saying lines now and that seems to be the biggest problem. Is her character too far gone to be salvaged?

I think bringing one of her children back could do wonders for the character as it would give her some purpose which she is sorely lacking. I've noticed that since the Corey poisoning stoyline of 2006, Irene gets one big story every couple of years but even then it's only about 1 episode a week. Then in between that time she is just being grumpy in the Diner. I really do love Irene and she deserves so much more. In a way I sort of blame Lynne McGranger for allowing her character to be reduced to what it is.

Well maybe Lynne likes her character to be like that as she might be busy in real life and doesn't want to leave the show.

Judy Nunn said in a recent interview that she didn't want to leave the show for good and was just wanting to cut back on her working hours and take more time off, but TPTB did not agree so Judy just quit altogether. They probably have realised its better to have them in small amounts than not at all.

Yes it is a shame. As I remember, back in late 2008 and throughout the 2009 season there were several discussions here and at SBJ about Leah. At that time Leah had become very much a supporting character who was occasionally given something to do (dancing on the table at her birthday party early in 2009 stands out). It appeared throughout 2010 and early last year that the writers had taken note of this and once again pushed Leah to the front of the show, you know, as if she were an important character with good reason to be on the show.

Unfortunately, Irene is definitely stuck in a background role currently, and I would like her to have more importance than: second-longest serving character! She works in the diner, and all she does is talk about the lives of the other characters. Although I agree that the older characters such as her and Alf work well in a 'wise', advisory position and confidant for the newer cast-members, she never actually has her own life. No one asks Irene how she is. The woman had cancer a few months ago! There is never any mention these days of her recovery, or check-ups. The breast cancer storyline is therefore a classic example of a short-term solution to a few whining fans.

In 2010 they didn't just give Leah another token storyline, in my opinion she was written for as though she had just been cast. She had her first relationship in ages (Hazem), dealt with the fallout of losing her business and faith in the community following the race riot, was helped by Miles to deal with agoraphobia and helped him deal with the loss of his and Kirsty's child and the effects that later had on him (Rabbit). Then of course later Elijiah was introduced as a long-term love interest and her ongoing problems with VJ portrayed her as an integral part of the show, and the community.

In the same way, Irene shouldn't just be given big storylines every couple of years, she should benefit from the constant development that newer cast-members receive.

In the same way, Irene shouldn't just be given big storylines every couple of years, she should benefit from the constant development that newer cast-members receive.

Exactly. To me it isn't about giving her a storyline, it's about giving her character and a purpose. She has absolutely no reason to be in the show at the moment, no purpose, no life. The cancer storyline, I don't even consider a storyline. It was a very minor 'thing' that was taking place off screen and we got a glimpse of it 1-2 scenes per week. Awful, awful writing.

I just hate how Home and Away over the last 6/7 years only ever focus on a handful of characters and dump the characters they can't be bothered with in the diner or surf club, so that they can contractually appear in the episodes, as speaking extras.

Was thinking about Irene from the 90s and even if it wasn't her story, you would still see things from her view and she would be involved.

The Joey mental illness story was primarily Joey's but would not have been the same if it wasn't for Irene who carried it a lot as well.

Agree with everyone. Its not huge stories that Irene now needs. But a purpose in the show.

Also Lynne McGranger is very good at comedy so lets use that.

Archived