1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week's batch of TEY was kind of sub-par at least until the final cliffhanger for the week. I suppose every show takes its foot off the gas at some point in the year. "Excitement week" was last week, I guess. Franky boy's on his way back.

"Santa Never Stops in Summer Bay" on the jukebox was priceless.

So Frank is on his way back! Oh great

I wonder what happened with Greg Benson. Did he walk off the show suddenly or was it really bad writing/timing

I always hated Frank especially in 1989 with the way he treated Bobby.

Oh, great Frank's coming back. I never liked Frank.

I'm really liking Greg at the moment, he's getting along with everyone at the moment.

I'm so glad Adam's turned a corner and decided to call a truce with Josh.

LOL and Marilyn's so cute when she gets herself into complicated situations. Same with the current show.

Actually didn't mind this week, there may not have been any explosions or car chases but there was some decent character work even if some storylines do seem to be marking time until the finale.The teens continue to be engaging, even though I think Simon's destined to go the same way as Viv with one storyline at the start of the tenure and then never doing anything else of note.(Except in this case the tension between Simon and his father seems a bit rushed.)He and Sophie are actually rather cute, if rather doomed.

Even if Don's comment was arguably out of line, I found Bobby's behaviour towards him incredibly childish, although at least she apologised afterwards.Not looking forward to Frank's return, but not because I didn't like him first time round(just the opposite in fact), Bobby was just as much to blame for their marriage failing by being a moody cow.Sadly, I think this stint starts a long tradition of ruining characters for short-term gain with ill-judged return appearances.

Actually didn't mind this week, there may not have been any explosions or car chases but there was some decent character work even if some storylines do seem to be marking time until the finale.The teens continue to be engaging, even though I think Simon's destined to go the same way as Viv with one storyline at the start of the tenure and then never doing anything else of note.(Except in this case the tension between Simon and his father seems a bit rushed.)He and Sophie are actually rather cute, if rather doomed.

Even if Don's comment was arguably out of line, I found Bobby's behaviour towards him incredibly childish, although at least she apologised afterwards.Not looking forward to Frank's return, but not because I didn't like him first time round(just the opposite in fact), Bobby was just as much to blame for their marriage failing by being a moody cow.Sadly, I think this stint starts a long tradition of ruining characters for short-term gain with ill-judged return appearances.

I agree I found the past week's episodes very enjoyable too.

I also agree about Bobby and Donald. I felt that Bobby was far more in the wrong than Donald, and I felt really sorry for Donald when he felt no longer welcome at the Beach House and left in the middle of lunch. It was nice of Bobby to make the first move but even then the emphasis was on Donald being in the wrong when I really don't think he was, or at most, they were equally to blame. Bobby, if you didn't want a father to be concerned for you, then why did you spend months hunting for one back in 1989?!

Speaking of 1989, what a great cliffhanger with Bobby's mysterious conversation with someone from her past, followed by her then looking out a photo of Frank!!! I can only imagine what it would have been like watching that back in the day, with no spoilers and no indication whatsoever that Frank might be back.

LOVE-LOVE-LOVED hearing Santa Never Stops in Summer Bay in the Diner. Obviously a post-production effort rather than a scripted one, otherwise it would have been really nice for Marilyn to comment on it. Brilliant touch nonetheless and not the only blast-from-the-past post production music we'll hear over the next couple of weeks.

Let's face it, their entirely marriage was a rebound thing. Frank was never entirely over Roo and Bobby probably had some residual feelings for Alan after he lost his wrestling match with the grim reaper (this was before the truth came out, people!).

So that’s the end of 1991 in the Early years section. I thought it has been a great year so here is my character analysis (I am pretending I haven’t seen anything past 910)

Best Character of the year

I would have to say Bobby wins it. The character jounrney she has gone through from the miscarriage at the start of the year to the down to earth mature woman she is right now does say something for who was writing for her and Nicolle’s great acting. Sophie is second for me and maybe Blake in third

Funniest Character

Marilyn has had an amazing year and having her and Bobby living together was a masterstroke from the producers. My favourite Maz scene was the chaos of the competition she tried to fix so Carly and Ben could go on holiday. Brill. Second was Alf for the scenes with Maz in the store and third was Fisher proving what a great actor Norman is

Best New Character

I think Nick has to win this award due to the impact he has had. Him and Lou go together well and its nice to see a geuinine romance starting breaking up and coming back together. Another good character this year is Finlay who has had a strong start and I hope we go deeper into her family background in 1992. And finally Sam who has had a big impact on Bobby.

Biggest character delvelpment

Karen had this in droves. Until about Arpil she was the sweet sister of Blake who just went around with Sophie doing things like dog walking. Then she met Revhead and became a Demon child. The way she spoke to Alisa made me want to punch her and even when she was finally caught and sent to prision (for killing David which made at least one member of the forum happy) she was almost like a child lost without her mother. It was a good storyline. Second wold be Bobby for the fostering storyline and third would be Blake for starting to act his age.

(Now the less good awards)

Underused character.

What storylines did Pippa have past April? It was annoying to watch and deal with and its almost like the producers just have her around in the background talking to Michael. Second would be Hayden who until his final few weeks didn’t really do anything. And finally Matt who was a mop at times.

Just go away character

Lois Bloody Crawford. So annoying and went on for far too long (why couldn’t Karen kill her instead?) Next is Ben. Toward the end of Him and Carly I just got so fed up of him. I was over the moon when he left. And Finally Jacqui. Yes I know she must love her son but she ruined Sam’s happyiness with Bobby and ran out on him.

Overhyped Character

David. Not very good was a bit weak and proved to be bait for Karen. Also Josh who just seemed thick and Rachel who was just weak.

What I want to see in 1992

Frank to go away again. Marilyn to get a boyfriend or settle down with Adam (she could be good for him) Bobby and Greg be happy. Simon to leave Sophie alone. Sophie having the baby in class. Fins family come back. Pippa having a very real storyline (not an affair). Morag to come back!! Blake to get a girlfriend who will not leave him in a very sad way. And Nick and Lou get married.

Now how much of that will really happen...

Archived