1991 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a pretty lengthy catch-up session and made it up to 895.Having seen the 1992 premiere last year as part of Channel 5's repeats, it's interesting seeing the early stages of certain storylines.

Wow, Sophie seriously went off the deep end for a bit.Given that, after the initial outpouring of grief, she seemed to get over David's death pretty quickly, it's a bit odd to suddenly bring it all up again but I guess they need to remind people who he was...Her snobbery towards Simon, as if she's too good to date people her own age, was pretty appalling so it's good that we got a proper apology and bonding moment.She even seemed to be losing her patience with Fin, who'd been bringing out her good side.While Lou telling her a few home truths probably helped, it's nice that Sally was the one who made the final breakthrough simply by being nice to her.I really don't remember this bond between them so it'll be interesting to watch the later episodes in context, their relationship from the 2000s suddenly makes a lot more sense.

I'm actually not minding Nick and Lou too much, their arguments are a bit broken recordy at times but I think there is some merit in showing a young couple who don't have a lot of money behind them struggling to build a life and home for themselves.Sadly, it'll soon get bogged down in a love triangle again.Who says the current show has moved away from its roots?Also finding myself getting extremely fond of Fin, although I'm getting fed up of her packing her bags once a week.Looks like the storyline with Irene and Damian is over for the moment, interesting that Nathan's still living with them at this point.

Technically that episode came 3rd and was online-only but can't wait to see it. Sophie was on quintuple bitch pills that week.

Nick and Lou are fine when individual, together they make my eyes glaze over and I often FFWD their scenes.

Nathan is living with them but hardly ever home, given the context.

The current show is too Gang-happy. There are days when I'm secretly hoping for a 40-megaton bomb to wipe out 4 brothers who shall not be named and some of their associates... However, it is returning to its roots with the fostering and focus on school again...

Having seen the 1992 premiere last year as part of Channel 5's repeats, it's interesting seeing the early stages of certain storylines.

Technically that episode came 3rd and was online-only but can't wait to see it.

Well...yes.I was trying to phrase it as vaguely as possible but I accept my comment was misleading.Presumably everyone in the UK who's on this forum has internet access and could have easily watched it if they so desired.

Seen up to 900.Some good stuff at the start of the week with Sophie going through various cycles of denial and bonding with Fin, while Simon gets a bit of back story and Blake, um, feeds them lines and makes jokes.For a teen group that no-one remembers, they're actually holding the attention.

The last two episodes...were very strange.It felt like there were lots of random incidents to try and introduce character moments that didn't work.Marilyn going missing was one of those comedy storylines that played the joke straight with all the characters taking it seriously and, while the payoff of how much Alf cares for Marilyn was kind of sweet, we pretty much already knew that.The wild dog stuff was just random peril to help Greg, Bobby and Sam bond and in real life Greg would probably have had his arm ripped off.But the weirdest thing was the domestic abuse storyline, which looked like it was going to be a long-runner and then just disappeared.It felt like it was supposed to introduce tension between Don and Nick but that just disappeared too.

I really liked episode 900. It had a different feel to it than most episodes. Like the episode could have been called "One Night in Summer Bay", or "After the lights go out" or something. It was weird!

I thought the storyline with Marilyn was brilliant and I loved not only Alf's concern but Michael's too.

The scene with Bobby, Greg, Sam and the dog is almost identical to a scene with Ailsa, Duncan, Alf and a stray dog in 1996 (the episode before the earthquake, I believe).

I didn't get the domestic abuse storyline, maybe there will be more to it to follow...?

I really liked episode 900. It had a different feel to it than most episodes. Like the episode could have been called "One Night in Summer Bay", or "After the lights go out" or something. It was weird!

I thought the storyline with Marilyn was brilliant and I loved not only Alf's concern but Michael's too.

The scene with Bobby, Greg, Sam and the dog is almost identical to a scene with Ailsa, Duncan, Alf and a stray dog in 1996 (the episode before the earthquake, I believe).

I didn't get the domestic abuse storyline, maybe there will be more to it to follow...?

The Gardiners are a one-shot family.

Archived