Carly or Sophie?

Skylover

Sorry to start yet another topic in the early years part of the board, but I'm really enjoying discussing the show with you lot so I hope you don't mind :)

In various threads across the board there has been the general opinion that current Home and Away should return to its roots by adopting (pardon the pun) the fostering theme once again or by bringing back one of the main members of the Fletcher household. Obviously most of the original clan is still alive, including Frank, Steven, Carly, Lynn, Sophie etc. but who would you like to see return? It certainly would be a turn up for the books if Lynn came back as the matriarch of a new nuclear family :lol:

But realistically, Carly and Sophie are the only members of the Fletcher clan who would return and I would be happy with either one of them but I think if I had to choose, I'd bring back Sophie. Rebekah Elmaloglou has openly stated that she has returned to the industry and is looking for work so it would be silly if the producers didn't snap her up!

Who would you like to return out of Carly and Sophie?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to start yet another topic in the early years part of the board, but I'm really enjoying discussing the show with you lot so I hope you don't mind :)

In various threads across the board there has been the general opinion that current Home and Away should return to its roots by adopting (pardon the pun) the fostering theme once again or by bringing back one of the main members of the Fletcher household. Obviously most of the original clan is still alive, including Frank, Steven, Carly, Lynn, Sophie etc. but who would you like to see return? It certainly would be a turn up for the books if Lynn came back as the matriarch of a new nuclear family :lol:

But realistically, Carly and Sophie are the only members of the Fletcher clan who would return and I would be happy with either one of them but I think if I had to choose, I'd bring back Sophie. Rebekah Elmaloglou has openly stated that she has returned to the industry and is looking for work so it would be silly if the producers didn't snap her up!

Sophie.

Although I do like Carly, all we know of her is that she married Ben, went off and had kids and lived happily ever after. Even during her brief returns we haven't really learned anything about her. I guess all those years offscreen would provide a blank canvas for the writers, but I've never really got the feeling that she loved Summer Bay or felt an attachment to the place.

Sophie has a much more interesting history both in and out of the Bay, even during her returns to the show she went through a lot, her on/off reunion with Blake, her miscarraige, etc. And she seems to really like Summer Bay. I just think she's a more interesting character who has a warmth to her. I could imagine her living in Summer Bay House as well. And I'd love to see Sophie and Marilyn together again.

Sophie.

Although I do like Carly, all we know of her is that she married Ben, went off and had kids and lived happily ever after. Even during her brief returns we haven't really learned anything about her. I guess all those years offscreen would provide a blank canvas for the writers, but I've never really got the feeling that she loved Summer Bay or felt an attachment to the place.

Sophie has a much more interesting history both in and out of the Bay, even during her returns to the show she went through a lot, her on/off reunion with Blake, her miscarraige, etc. And she seems to really like Summer Bay. I just think she's a more interesting character who has a warmth to her. I could imagine her living in Summer Bay House as well. And I'd love to see Sophie and Marilyn together again.

Well Carly always seems happy to been back when she visits.

I think if you bring either back it would need to be a concerted, almost top to bottom overhaul of the show. There's no point having Sophie, (Blake), Tammy and David living in Summer Bay House whilst all sorts of chaos goes on in the other side of town.

Bringing back characters from the past may bring an initial burst of nostalgia, but if they end up being there then it's pointless and in some cases will spoil the quality of their initial footmark.

I agree it would be pointless to have them back and then treat them the way they do Roo and Marilyn these days I.e 2 episodes a week, handful of scenes each.

I'm torn because I really do like Carly as a character, yet I equally like Sophie. I'd be really, really happy if either were to return as long as they didn't change them negatively. Either one coming back would be the very next best thing to Pippa running the Park and house again. Another point towards Sophie returning, as pointed out, would be that the more recent audience are aware of her and know her more than they do Carly due to her number of returns over the last 10 years.

It would be so cool to have Blake back too, running the house with her, more family for Alf too. And yes, Sophie and Marilyn as chums again would be awesome.

I would prefer Sophie come back.I like Carly too,but Sophie was always a favorite of mine.I don't know how well it would work though.Most of the characters that Sophie interacted with during her original stint on the show are gone.There's only Marilyn,Alf and Irene that she really knows.It would be good if Sally were living in Summer Bay still because it would give Sophie another close connection in town.I would love for Rebekah Elmaloglou to return to H&A.I wouldn't mind Carly returning either,but Ben would have to be recast unless they break up off screen.I think H&A should try to bring back some popular characters from the past(the ones that are available and willing to return)instead of mostly creating new characters to replace departing characters.That's one of the reason's I lost interest in the show.

Archived