What Are You Afraid Of?

Guest Samantha1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ACE updates, especially ......

 Brax and I walked hand-in-hand up to the front door of the Braxton house. I dropped his hand as we got there and took a deep breath,

 “Brax and I are seeing each other.” I blurted out, Casey’s mouth dropped open slightly and Ruby’s eyes went wide,

 I watched as a smile covered Ruby’s face, she was clearly happy about our news, for now,

 Ruby’s smile quickly faded, “And you didn’t tell me? You didn’t tell your own daughter!”

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out, “That’s what I thought, Charlie you filthy liar!”

“Don’t speak to your mom like that!” Brax yelled back at her, I nudged him, my way of telling him to shut up, he didn’t listen,

“You can’t tell me what to do.” Ruby fumed back at Brax,

“I’m not Rubes, all I’m saying is don’t speak to her like that.”

“Like you care.” She spat,

“Of course I care!” He raised his voice again.

Ruby angrily shook her head before she jumped up and ran towards the door, me hot on her heels,

“Rubes, RUBY WAIT!” I yelled after her.

“NO.” She yelled back before running off,

 locking the door behind me and bursting into tears.

“Charlie.” Brax said softly as he knocked on the door, “Charlie, c’mon, let me in.”

“Go away, Brax.”

“Charlie, I’m sorry for yelling at her, I lost it, but she can’t talk to you like that.”

“She was well within her rights to, Brax, just leave me alone.”

 “Want a drink?” I asked, my hands lingering on her waist now,

 I picked my underwear up before putting it on, along with Brax’s shirt before easing back into the bed, waiting for him to return.

 He grinned before going back to his side of the bed and crawling back into the bed before he sat up and wrapped his arms around my waist before pulling me on top of him, causing me to straddle him.

He smirked at me playfully before sliding his hands inside the shirt so he could gain a firm grip on my waist, “I have good reason.” He said slyly.

 “I know the perfect way to thank you, babe.” I said seductively as I stood up and walked over to him before slowly unbuttoning the shirt, revealing nothing but my bra and knickers, he grinned up at me, I could tell he was about to say something teasingly just as the front door swung open and Heath walked in, causing me to scream and quickly wrap the shirt around me, covering myself up. Brax quickly jumped up and stood in front of me,

“Woaaaah Buckton!” Heath yelled,

 The confidence was soon ripped out of me by the next comments she made, “I’ll tell your superiors at work what you’ve been up to, that’s sure to end your career, and

Ruby is it? Beautiful name, she’s a nice girl you know, I spoke to her in the diner the other day.”

That’s when it clicked, she had obviously been following Brax and I around for a while, “So, what’ll it be Sergeant?”

Anger built up inside me, but I had to decide, my daughter’s safety and my career on one side, against some fling who happens to make me feel on top of the world whenever I’m with him, but who also had the potential of wrecking my life if I stayed with him.

After much deliberation, I came to a decision, “I’ll do it.” I replied, heartbroken of what I had to do, but my daughter came first over some guy, any day.

 “I can’t- I can’t do this, Brax, I’m sorry.” I told him, my heart breaking all the more with each word,

 I was about to knock on Casey’s door when I heard Brax yelling, I flung the door open just to see him push Casey back,

 I slipped my purple dressing gown on over my night dress before sleepily heading outside.

 Our conversation was interrupted by Ruby, “CHARLIE!” She yelled shortly before briskly walking into the lounge and sitting beside Leah, “Spill.”

“What?” I asked her.

“You and Brax, he nearly killed himself drinking last night, he nearly said he loves you, he-”

My heart skipped a beat at the word ‘love’, “He what?” I asked.

 “Last night, before I met you, she approached me and threatened to tell everyone about us, then she threatened Ruby, and Brax I’m sorry, but Ruby will always come first,

always.”

 “I’m gonna talk, and you’re gonna listen.” He stated, I nodded, speechlessly, “How dare you Hayley, you had no right, and yeah, I love Charlie,

and you just got the only, only, girl I’ve ever loved to break up with me, so thanks for that.”

I motioned to speak but he continued, “And as for threatening Ruby, so help me god, you do anything to hurt that kid, and I’m gonna come after you myself, you stay away

from me, you stay away from Charlie, and Ruby.”

He finished and threw me a final dirty look before walking off.

I exhaled deeply through my anger before kneeling down on the sand and rooting through my bag, pulling out my mobile phone and calling the Coastal News.

Chapter 15.

Charlie’s POV:

I arrived at work the next morning, plastering a fake smile on my face. I walked towards my office, only to wonder why I was receiving strange looks from most of the station.

I dropped my bag off in my office before heading over to the front desk to clock in, only then did I see the newspaper, the Coastal News newspaper,

‘Local Sergeant beds the bad boy.’ Being the headline of the storyline, on the front page, below it a picture of me placing handcuffs on Brax after arresting him during the brawl at the Surf Club.

“Oh Brax, what did you do?” I whispered to myself wondering whatever he said to Hayley yesterday must’ve infuriated her.

I placed the newspaper back down on the table, still in shock, just as my name was called,

“Sergeant Buckton!” I looked up to be facing Inspector Joyce.

“Sir?”

“A word, immediately.” He said before walking into my office, implying for me to follow him in, right away. I did so before taking a seat opposite him, ready to face the music.

Ruby’s POV:

I was sitting on the couch, reading a book, relaxing when Charlie rushed through into the living room,

“Charlie, thought you were working?” I asked her.

Only then I noticed the tears, “Hey, what’s up?” I asked as she took a seat beside me,

“I-I’ve been suspended.” She muttered.

“What? But why?”

She stopped crying and pulled herself together before explaining, “Yesterday, I met Brax and I ended up telling him about Hayley and what she said, he was angry and he went to see her, I woke up this morning and went into work, only to be met by this.” She said before handing me the newspaper, I gasped as I read the front page, “And now they have no idea what to do with me, so I’ve been suspended until they do.”

She began to cry again, “Charlie, hey, it’s alright, they know you, you’re an amazing police officer, they won’t want to lose you.” I told her before pulling her into a hug, just as there was a knock on the back door.

I kissed the top of her head before getting up to get it.

Brax’s POV:

I smiled down at Ruby as she opened the door, “Hey Rubes.” I said warmly.

“Hi.” She replied before sighing, my smile faded as I saw Charlie crying on the couch, “You better come in.” She said quietly, I stepped in the door and she closed it behind

me,

“What’s up? Has something happened?” I asked her, she nodded,

“I’ll leave you guys to it.” She said before walking into her bedroom, closing the door behind her.

I slowly walked over to the couch and sat down beside Charlie, “Charlie?” She looked up, surprised to see me,

“Brax, hi.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” She replied shortly before brushing her tears away with the back of her hand, “Can you leave, please.”

“I just got here.”

“Yeah, but I don’t wanna speak to you.”

“Charlie please, just tell me what’s happened, then I’ll leave.”

“I got suspended.” She said, finally raising her head and looking me in the eyes, allowing me to final see just how upset she was.

“W-what? Why?”

“Whatever you said to Hayley last night must’ve really made her angry Brax, because it’s all over the newspapers, ‘Local Sergeant beds the badboy’, I’m surprised you haven’t seen it yet.”

“Nah, I haven’t, but now you come to mention it, I was being glared at by quite a few people.”

She nodded a forced a small, weak smile before a few more tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Oh, Charlie.” Were the only two words I came out with, I placed my arms around her tightly and pulled her in for a hug.

She allowed herself to stay in my embrace for a while before groaning and pulling away,

“Brax, please, you said if I told you what happened you’d leave.”

“But I don’t think you should be alone.”

“I’m not alone Brax, I’ve got Ruby.”

“You sure?” I asked her.

“Yes, now please just go.”

I nodded, moving in to kiss her forehead, she moved away, I sighed lightly before standing up and leaving the house.

Charlie’s POV:

Shortly after Brax had left, I got a call from Watson, saying Joyce wanted to see me having made a decision as to my future with the police force.

I sat in front of him in my own office, waiting for him to speak.

I played with the small crease in my work trousers, wondering if this would be the final time I’d get to wear it, my thoughts were ripped away from me as Joyce began to speak, getting straight to the point,

“Okay Sergeant, so your decision to engage in a clandestine relationship with Darryl Braxton has some serious implications to your career, you understand that don’t you?”

I nodded, “Yes sir.” I finally looked up at him, studying his facial expressions,

“But Sergeant Buckton, you’re far too good a police officer for me to lose, we really can’t afford it, you made a stupid mistake, but people always fall for the wrong people. So I’ll trust your judgment and give you the benefit of the doubt.” A small smile covered my face, “But you do understand you can’t work any Braxton-related cases, yes?”

I nodded enthusiastically, “Yes, of course.”

“Alright, well, we’ve got things covered here, you may as well have the day off, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I smiled and stood up, “Thank you sir.” I replied before leaving the station and heading back home.

I took a detour and ended up on the beach instead, ending up bumping into the one person I didn't really want to.

“Hey.” Brax said, smiling slightly as he saw me,

“Hey.” I replied, equally as warmly, after all, I was in a good mood.

“How you bearing up?” He asked me.

I smiled, “Good, I just got back from work, Joyce called me in, he wants me back at work tomorrow.”

A smile covered Brax’s face, he knew how much my job meant to me, “Charlie, that’s great.”

I continued to smile, “Yeah, yeah it is.” I wiped the smile off my face, it was beginning to hurt, a lot, “I’m not allowed work any Braxton cases though, of course.”

He grinned slightly, “That’s understandable.”

“Yeah, so I won’t be able to help you with any dodgy dealings.” The words came out quicker than I intended, my attempt at sarcasm? I don’t know, I bit my lip as I noticed him frown,

“Eh, I never expected that of you, Charlie.” I sighed lightly, “And there’s nothing dodgy for you to be worried about.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean anything by that.”

He smiled lightly and nodded. We stood with each other in silence before Brax spoke, “So, now that you’re job’s back on track and everything, what’s happening with us?”

I chewed on my lip lightly whilst thinking of a response, “Eh, I’m not sure Brax, I don’t think I’m ready for this again.”

He exhaled lightly, “Charlie, the only reason you ended things was because of Hayley, right?” I nodded, “So, why can’t we be together?”

“No, I’m not saying we can’t, I’m just saying that maybe I need some time, I mean, after things suddenly coming out about us, especially in the way they did.”

He was slightly hesitant but he eventually agreed, “Alright.”

I smiled at how considerate he was. I stepped closer to him, moving to kiss his cheek but changing my mind and going for his lips instead, what was meant to be a quick peck turned into something more passionate before I pulled away,

“I better head off, bye.” I said.

He smiled at me, “See ya.”

I smiled back at him before turning on my heels and heading home, thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could get my life back on track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading and reviewing, I hope you enjoyed!

Just caught up with the past few chapters! Brilliant!!

Firstly, Hayley! What a cow. But at least now everything is out in the open, so there really isn't anything keeping them apart. Secondly, I loved Brax making her breakfast and how sweet they were together in that chapter. I just hope he can manage to win her back :)

Fab update, can't wait for the next one! Also jealous that you have snow, this part of the uk is just cold :( x

That was ACE !!!!!!, especially ......

 Local Sergeant beds the bad boy.’ Being the headline of the storyline, on the front page, below it a picture of me placing handcuffs on Brax after arresting him during the brawl at the Surf Club.

 She stopped crying and pulled herself together before explaining, “Yesterday, I met Brax and I ended up telling him about Hayley and what she said, he was angry and he went to see her, I woke up this morning and went into work, only to be met by this.” She said before handing me the newspaper, I gasped as I read the front page, “And now they have no idea what to do with me, so I’ve been suspended until they do.”

She began to cry again, “Charlie, hey, it’s alright, they know you, you’re an amazing police officer, they won’t want to lose you.” I told her before pulling her into a hug, just as there was a nock on the back door.

I kissed the top of her head before getting up to get it.

 “Nothing.” She replied shortly before brushing her tears away with the back of her hand, “Can you leave, please.”

 “Whatever you said to Hayley last night must’ve really made her angry Brax, because it’s all over the newspapers, ‘Local Sergeant beds the badboy’, I’m surprised you haven’t seen it yet.”

“Nah, I haven’t, but now you come to mention it, I was being glared at by quite a few people.”

 “Brax, please, you said if I told you what happened you’d leave.”

“But I don’t think you should be alone.”

“I’m not alone Brax, I’ve got Ruby.”

 I played with the small crease in my work trousers, wondering if this would be the final time I’d get to wear it, my thoughts were ripped away from me as Joyce began to speak, getting straight to the point,

 “But Sergeant Buckton, you’re far too good a police officer for me to lose, we really can’t afford it, you made a stupid mistake, but people always fall for the wrong people. So I’ll trust your judgment and give you the benefit of the doubt.” A small smile covered my face, “But you do understand you can’t work any Braxton-related cases, yes?”

I nodded enthusiastically, “Yes, of course.”

 Yeah, so I won’t be able to help you with any dodgy dealings.” The words came out quicker than I intended, my attempt at sarcasm? I don’t know, I bit my lip as I noticed him frown,

 I smiled at how considerate he was. I stepped closer to him, moving to kiss his cheek but changing my mind and going for his lips instead, what was meant to be a quick peck turned into something more passionate before I pulled away,

“I better head off, bye.” I said.

He smiled at me, “See ya.”

I smiled back at him before turning on my heels and heading home, thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could get my life back on track.

Archived