What Are You Afraid Of?

Guest Samantha1

Intriguing ending !!!! Enjoyed that, especially ......

 I replied before pushing him off me, causing him to land with a thud on the floor, I jumped up and placed my two work belts around my waist,

“That was so mean.” He sarcastically sobbed as he gradually stood up and limped towards me, I quickly walked over to him and tangled my arms around his neck,

“Well I’ll make it up to you later.”

“You better, I need you to kiss me better.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll kiss you better.” I replied before pecking his lips and whispering in his ear, “Everywhere.”

I grinned before moving away from him and slipping my shoes on, “Oh yeah, you play the innocent Sergeant outdoors, but behind closed doors, oh you’re very different.”

“Only for you, sweetheart.” I replied cheekily before I took his hand and pulled him towards the back door, “Er, you’re forgetting something.” He informed me as I shoved him out of the door,

 I got a call, mom was in hospital, heart attack, and whose fault was it? Coppers.

 “It's your fault she's in here, all the hassle she gets from you coppers, that's what's doing it to her.” I sent Brax a disapproving glare, he shook his head at me, as if to silence me, “It’s all you coppers, you’re all the same!” He spat.

 I smiled and nodded before making it to the end of the corridor, stopping dead in my tracks when someone grabbed my wrist,

“Charlie.” Came Brax’s voice, I emotionlessly turned around to face him before pulling my hand away from his.

“You do me a favour yeah?” He began angrily, yet again, “You tell your mates, I’ll blame then, and you if she doesn’t pull through.”

I shook my head at him, trying to fight my tears back, successfully managing to do so, and giving him a reply in a tone just as angry, “You tell them yourself, and you blame me all you want, because we’re done.”

 After I left the hospital, I came home, got changed into a lose navy blue summer dress,

 “I’m sorry, I was angry and I really didn’t mean it, any of it.”

“Brax we're messed up, I mean, why are we even doing this? We're just using each other for sex.” I blurted out, not thinking about what I was saying, just hurt and

confused, Brax evidently took it to heart,

“Okay.” He nodded his head, “So, tell me, if it is just for sex, tell me why you told me about your past, about everything that happened? Why let me be the one to look

after you, to comfort you?” I shook my head, “Charlie, what we’ve got, it’s a whole lot more than sex, and we both know it.”

 “No, you’re right, I can’t, it’s your choice, but just so you know, if you leave now, I’ll pester you over and over until you talk to me again, starting from tonight.”

 “But Brax, I can’t tell me superiors at work, not yet, especially with Heath’s antics.”

He nodded cheekily, “I understand, buuuuuuut...” He began before placing his hands on my waist and moving his body into mine, “Rubes is at my place with Casey.”

He looked at me, I knew exactly what he was referring to, “Alright.” I said, his face filled with confusion,

 “We’re telling them right now?” He asked, I nodded.

“Who are you, and what’ve you done with Charlie Buckton?” I hit his arm,

“OW! You’re gonna have some serious making up to do, lady.”

“Yeah, I don’t see you complaining.”

 both of us oblivious to the person watching us.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 13.

Charlie’s POV:

Brax and I walked hand-in-hand up to the front door of the Braxton house. I dropped his hand as we got there and took a deep breath,

“You alright?” Brax asked me.

I looked at him and nodded slightly, “Let’s roll.” He said, he gave me a long, soft kiss, which did manage to put me at ease a little before he pulled out his keys and opened the door.

“Hey Brax.” Ruby said chirpily as he opened the door, shortly followed by me, Ruby frowned when she saw me, as did Casey, “Charlie, is everything alright?”

I nodded, “Yeah, everything’s fine.” I replied as Brax and I walked over to the dining table and took a seat opposite them.

My hands began to tremble slightly, “Brax placed his hand on my thigh, away from Ruby and Casey’s view,

“What’s up?” Casey asked, looking from me to Brax, me to Brax.

“Eh, we’ve got something to tell you.” Brax said before looking at me, I smiled slightly before speaking,

“Eh, Ruby, eh-”

“Just spit it out, Charlie!” She interrupted.

“Brax and I are seeing each other.” I blurted out, Casey’s mouth dropped open slightly and Ruby’s eyes went wide,

“What?” Casey asked, dumbfounded.

“I think you heard her, Case.” Brax said smugly.

I watched as a smile covered Ruby’s face, she was clearly happy about our news, for now,

“How long for?” She asked excitedly,

“Eh, over five months, I think.” I replied.

Ruby’s smile quickly faded, “And you didn’t tell me? You didn’t tell your own daughter!”

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out, “That’s what I thought, Charlie you filthy liar!”

“Don’t speak to your mom like that!” Brax yelled back at her, I nudged him, my way of telling him to shut up, he didn’t listen,

“You can’t tell me what to do.” Ruby fumed back at Brax,

“I’m not Rubes, all I’m saying is don’t speak to her like that.”

“Like you care.” She spat,

“Of course I care!” He raised his voice again.

Ruby angrily shook her head before she jumped up and ran towards the door, me hot on her heels,

“Rubes, RUBY WAIT!” I yelled after her.

“NO.” She yelled back before running off,

“I’ll go.” Casey said before running after her, I turned around to see Brax walking towards me,

“Char-” He started, but I was quick to cut him off,

“Don’t.” I said before running into their bathroom, locking the door behind me and bursting into tears.

“Charlie.” Brax said softly as he knocked on the door, “Charlie, c’mon, let me in.”

“Go away, Brax.”

“Charlie, I’m sorry for yelling at her, I lost it, but she can’t talk to you like that.”

“She was well within her rights to, Brax, just leave me alone.”

I heard him sigh before I heard shuffling, I knew he had left me alone.

Brax’s POV:

I sat on the couch in utter silence, with my head in my hands, waiting for Charlie to come out of the bathroom. Ten minutes later, I finally heard the door unlock, I stood up and faced the hallway, she slowly walked out and towards me, I could tell she had been crying but she tried her best to hide it.

She stood in front of me before placing her hand into my outstretched one.

“I’m sorry.” She said quietly, I shook my head,

“It’s not your fault, Charlie.”

“It is, I shouldn’t shut you out when you were just sticking up at me.” She said quietly, I simply nodded, she glanced away from me and blinked away the newly forming

tears before looking back at me,

“Babe, please don’t be upset.”

“Brax, this is exactly what I didn’t want to happen.” I sighed, “My own daughter hates me.”

I shook my head and tightened the grip I had on her hand, “She doesn’t hate you Charlie, she just needs time.”

She nodded slightly, “Alright?” I asked.

“Yeah.” She replied weakly before I gently kissed her, I pulled away with a smile on my face, before I rested my forehead against hers,

“Want a drink?” I asked, my hands lingering on her waist now, she nodded, “Wine?”

She laughed slightly and nodded, “Please.” I replied, she kissed my lips again before I went to get a beer for myself and a wine for Charlie.

“Here you go.” I said before placing her wine glass in front of her and sitting down beside her,

“Thanks.” She replied weakly. She looked up at me and flashed a small smile, I knew it was fake.

I took a sip of my beer before placing it in front of me and studying Charlie, she was running the index finger of her right hand around the rim of her wine glass,

“Come here.” I said softly before lifting her onto my lap, she nestled her head into the crook of my neck and groaned.

“Why is life never easy?” She asked.

I smirked slightly before kissing her cheek, “It just isn’t.” I whispered back just as the front door opened and Ruby and Casey walked back in, Charlie got off my lap and

stood up, I did the same.

“I’m so sorry, Charlie.” Ruby said before running towards Charlie and collapsing into her embrace.

I smiled as I watched the interaction before they parted, Ruby looked to me, “I’m sorry, Brax.” She said sincerely, I smiled and nodded,

“I’m sorry too, Rubes.”

She smiled before giving Charlie a kiss on the cheek, “I’m gonna head home, get an early night.”

I shook my head, trying to hide my laughter as I saw Casey smirk, yeah, ‘early night’, load of crap, they’d be doing the same thing Charlie and I would be tonight.

“Bye honey.” Charlie said, they both left quickly before Charlie turned around to face me, I grinned as she walked towards me and wrapped her arms around my neck, I placed mine on her waist.

“So.” She said seductively.

“So.” I replied before our lips connected, she had quickly jumped up so her legs were wound tightly around my waist and soon enough, we had found our way into my bedroom.

Charlie’s POV:

I woke up and glanced around at my surroundings, Brax’s bedroom, I smiled, our first proper sleepover, shame I was waking up alone.

I moved the pillow and propped myself up, I picked my underwear up before putting it on, along with Brax’s shirt before easing back into the bed, waiting for him to return.

I grinned as Brax entered the room again,

“Hey you.” He said seductively, I raised my eyebrows slightly as I looked him up and down, only wearing his boxers.

“Babe, our first proper sleepover, and you let me wake up to an empty bed!” He grinned before going back to his side of the bed and crawling back into the bed before he sat up and wrapped his arms around my waist before pulling me on top of him, causing me to straddle him.

He smirked at me playfully before sliding his hands inside the shirt so he could gain a firm grip on my waist, “I have good reason.” He said slyly.

I laughed, “Is that so?” I asked.

He nodded, “Come outside and you’ll see.”

“Carry me.” I said seductively before gently kissing his lips,

“Alright then.” He said smugly before placing his hands underneath my backside and lifting me up, carrying me outside before setting me down on a seat at the dining table.

My eyes went wide as I looked across what Brax had done, a vase in the middle of the table with a single red rose, two glasses of orange juice, pancakes, bacon, eggs.

I looked up at Brax who was leaning over me, “You shouldn’t have.” I told him, he grinned before kissing my lips and sitting opposite me as we enjoyed the rest of the breakfast Brax had prepared.

“I know the perfect way to thank you, babe.” I said seductively as I stood up and walked over to him before slowly unbuttoning the shirt, revealing nothing but my bra and knickers, he grinned up at me, I could tell he was about to say something teasingly just as the front door swung open and Heath walked in, causing me to scream and quickly wrap the shirt around me, covering myself up. Brax quickly jumped up and stood in front of me,

“Woaaaah Buckton!” Heath yelled,

“Heath.” Brax warned.

“Got it, I guess I’ll come back later, a lot later.” Heath said before leaving quickly.

Brax turned back to face me, I laughed at the expression on his face, “Aw, you look a mix of angry and jealous.”

He gave me an unimpressed look, “Eh, yeah, my brother getting a look at my girlfriend, not the one.”

I grinned before taking his hands and slowly walking backwards into his bedroom,

“Well, I’m all yours, and only yours.” I told him before seductively falling back onto his bed, pulling him with me.

-Beach, 8pm.-

I was taking a night time stroll along the beach when a woman’s voice brought me out of my happy thoughts about Brax and I,

“You’re Brax’s girlfriend, right?”

I turned around to face a tall, skinny woman, almost anorexic in my opinion. She had short blonde hair, tied back, and cold, light blue eyes.

I didn’t verify her statement, “Who are you?” I asked her.

“I’m Hayley, a Rivergirl, a girl Brax used to hang around with when he was younger, except he moved here and we don’t see much of him back in Mangrove River anymore.”

“I want you to break up with him.” She added smugly.

I shook my head, “No chance.” I replied confidently.

The confidence was soon ripped out of me by the next comments she made, “I’ll tell your superiors at work what you’ve been up to, that’s sure to end your career, and

Ruby is it? Beautiful name, she’s a nice girl you know, I spoke to her in the diner the other day.”

That’s when it clicked, she had obviously been following Brax and I around for a while, “So, what’ll it be Sergeant?”

Anger built up inside me, but I had to decide, my daughter’s safety and my career on one side, against some fling who happens to make me feel on top of the world whenever I’m with him, but who also had the potential of wrecking my life if I stayed with him.

After much deliberation, I came to a decision, “I’ll do it.” I replied, heartbroken of what I had to do, but my daughter came first over some guy, any day.

Hayley smiled a sly smile, “Good, I’ll be watching, so don’t try and pull a fast one, get him here now.” She replied before walking off the beach.

I sighed and wiped away the stray tear from my cheek before texting Brax:

‘Brax, we need to talk, beach, ASAP.’

The reply came instantly:

‘Is everything alright?x’

I didn’t text back in the hope he’d just come as soon as possible, and I was right, he did.

“Hey you, what’s up?” He asked as he approached me with a smile on his face, it soon faded when he saw I had been crying, “Charlie, what’s happened?”

“I can’t- I can’t do this, Brax, I’m sorry.” I told him, my heart breaking all the more with each word,

“Can’t do what?” He asked, playing dumb, not wanting to believe the situation that was occurring.

“Us, this relationship, it’s not working.”

“Ha-hang on.” He spoke quickly, “This morning, last night, this afternoon, I don’t get it Charlie.” He stated in pure confusion.

“I’m sorry, I was just using you, I have to go.” I attempted to walk away, but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back so I was facing him,

“Nah, you weren’t using me, why Charlie? Tell me why.”

“There’s nothing between us.” I replied, before the tears began to spill from my eyes.

“YES THERE IS!” He yelled, startling me, “There is.” He added, in a softer tone this time, I shook my head.

“I’m sorry.” I said for about the millionth time tonight.

“Charlie, please, don’t do this, you can’t do this.” He pleaded with me.

I shook my head, “I’m sorry.” I said once again, before I quickly walked past Brax, out of the beach, and out of his life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >

Thanks all of you for the lovely reviews so far, hope this one was alright, although I get the feeling you won’t like the ending, don’t hate me! 8-)

Aww I was all ready to say Chax was so lovely and glad that Ruby calmed down after the initial shock of them being together then you had to leave it on that ending. :( While I do love that Charlie is putting Ruby first, I do hope that she and Brax find a way to be together and get rid of stupid Hayley.

Update soon :)

Chapter 14.

Brax’s POV:

After Charlie ended things between the two of us, I had immediately headed to Angelo’s and picked up a large amount of alcohol before going home.

By now I had indulged in four beers and was now on the whiskey.

As far as I knew, nobody was home, and there was nobody here to stop me.

Charlie’s POV:

I had arrived home in floods of tears, Ruby was out, with Casey no doubt.

I had to face Leah alone, begging for me to tell her what was wrong,

“Is it Brax?” She asked as I leant further back against my bedroom door, the mention of his name causing the tears to fall harder,

“Just go away Leah, please.” I said weakly.

“It is Brax.” She sighed and spoke softer, “What happened?”

“Nothing, Leah, just go away.” I snapped, hoping the ruder tone would get her to leave me alone, which it did as I heard her walk away.

-The following morning.-

Casey’s POV:

I tiredly rubbed my eyes as I walked down the hallway and outside, I had gone to the cinema with Ruby last night, dropped her off late, come home to a quiet house, I assumed Heath was off with the boys, and Brax with Charlie.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw Brax fast asleep in the middle of the lounge, more like passed out. Two empty bottles of whiskey and numerous amounts of beer bottles scattered around him.

I don’t know how I missed it last night, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t there, I shook my head before running over to him, kneeling on the floor and shaking him,

“Brax, BRAX!” I yelled.

“Wh-What?” He stirred before sitting up and squinting.

“What the hell?” I asked him.

“Nothing.” He replied before slowly sitting up.

“Brax, what happened?”

“NOTHING!” He yelled.

“Brax, look at all these alcohol bottles, it’s obviously something.”

“Case, please, alright? It’s nothing, work was a little tough, that’s all.”

“It’s Charlie isn’t it?” The mention of her name seemed to strike an angry cord in him, he jumped up and pushed me back violently.

“JUST LEAVE IT CASEY!”

Ruby’s POV:

I was about to knock on Casey’s door when I heard Brax yelling, I flung the door open just to see him push Casey back,

“Brax!” I yelled.

He turned to look at me, he looked pretty rough, “What the hell?” I asked.

His angry exterior seemed to melt at the sight of me, “It’s Charlie.” He spoke quietly, I stepped into the house, closing the door behind me,

“I knew it.” Casey mumbled, I shot him a look before looking back at Brax.

“What happened? Is she alright?” I asked beginning to panic.

“Oh she’s fine, better than ever, she ended things between us.” He said quietly before sitting on the couch,

“Why?” I asked, confused.

“I don’t know, Rubes, I really don’t know, things were going well between us, I mean, I lov-care about her.”

I grinned slightly, Brax was so close to saying he loved her, for the first time, “Well, I’m going to find out.” I replied before picking up my bag and heading back home.

Charlie’s POV:

I slipped my purple dressing gown on over my night dress before sleepily heading outside.

I yawned before sitting opposite Leah at the dining table, “I’m so sorry Leah.”

She smiled before rubbing my arm caringly, “It’s alright.”

“Where’s Ruby?” I asked, noticing the house was really quiet, almost too quiet.

“She went to Casey’s.”

I nodded, “So, you gonna tell me what happened then?” She asked, I knew what she was referring to, I sighed before beginning,

“I broke up with Brax last night.”

“What? Why? I thought things were going well between you two.”

“They are but-”

Our conversation was interrupted by Ruby, “CHARLIE!” She yelled shortly before briskly walking into the lounge and sitting beside Leah, “Spill.”

“What?” I asked her.

“You and Brax, he nearly killed himself drinking last night, he nearly said he loves you, he-”

My heart skipped a beat at the word ‘love’, “He what?” I asked.

“Just, tell me what happened.” She demanded.

“I broke up with him, because of Hayley.”

“Well, who the hell is Hayley?”

I shrugged my shoulders, “She’s a Rivergirl, and she threatened to inform everyone about me and Brax if I didn’t end things, and it seemed like she was threatening you

too Ruby, and I can’t, I could never put anybody above you.”

“Oh mom, I know, but I think you need to tell Brax, he’s confused and upset.”

I nodded, “I know, and I will, later on.”

She smiled and nodded, “I need to go for a shower and stuff.” I said before standing up and heading into the bathroom.

Brax’s POV:

Come 3pm, I was showered, dressed, and completely booze-free.

I picked up my phone as a message came through, seeing Charlie’s name flash on the screen I contemplated whether to open it or not, but I eventually decided to:

‘Hey Brax, it’s Charlie, I was wondering if you could meet me on the beach today? Just to clear things up and to talk, I completely understand if you don’t want to.’

I sighed lightly, I really wanted to see her, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted more hurt:

‘Nah, I do want to. What time?’

‘Half an hour? If you’re not busy.’

‘See you then.’

For some reason, it seemed like Charlie thought I had tonnes of things to do outside of our relationship, but truth is, I hadn’t, which made thinking about her occur even more, and the pain of the break-up hurt even more too.

Charlie’s POV:

I smiled lightly at Brax as he joined me on the beach, he returned the smile before the both of us ended up standing, looking at each other, awkwardly.

“Brax, I’m so sorry.” I began.

“Charlie, I don’t want you to be sorry, there’s nothing to be sorry for, I just wanna know why.”

I shook my head, “Why?” Brax asked again.

“I can’t say.”

He shook his head before looking at me astounded, “I thought we would good together, Charlie?”

“We are-were.” I corrected myself, a small grin formed on his face.

“Then why?”

“Because of Hayley.” I found myself blurting out.

Brax frowned, “Hayley?” I nodded, “What’s she got to do with any of this?”

“Last night, before I met you, she approached me and threatened to tell everyone about us, then she threatened Ruby, and Brax I’m sorry, but Ruby will always come first,

always.”

“I’ll kill her.” He said angrily before motioning to walk away, I grabbed his hand,

“Brax.” He stopped and turned back to face me, glancing down at our entwined hands before looking back up at me, “Please don’t.”

“Charlie, this whole situation is her fault, she’s not getting away with it, she’s not getting away with treating you like that and she’s certainly not getting away with

threatening Rubes.”

He squeezed my hand before dropping it and briskly walking off, I was extremely worried about what he’d do, but couldn’t help but smile at how protective he was of Ruby.

Hayley’s POV:

I was sitting on a beach in Mangrove River relaxing when I saw Brax pacing towards me, I grinned and stood up, smiling at him warmly,

“Brax, long time no speak.” I said as I stepped forward and stroked his arm, he angrily pushed my hand away, like my touch was lethal.

“Don’t touch me, and yeah, long time no speak, yet you had time to get my girlfriend to break up with me, yeah?”

I was slightly astounded by his outbreak, “Brax, I-”

“Nah, nah.” He interrupted, “I’m gonna talk, and you’re gonna listen.” He stated, I nodded, speechlessly, “How dare you Hayley, you had no right, and yeah, I love Charlie,

and you just got the only, only, girl I’ve ever loved to break up with me, so thanks for that.”

I motioned to speak but he continued, “And as for threatening Ruby, so help me god, you do anything to hurt that kid, and I’m gonna come after you myself, you stay away

from me, you stay away from Charlie, and Ruby.”

He finished and threw me a final dirty look before walking off.

I exhaled deeply through my anger before kneeling down on the sand and rooting through my bag, pulling out my mobile phone and calling the Coastal News.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Hey guys, thank you so much for the reviews so far. I’m finding more time to write so I’ll hopefully be able to update more often than I usually do. (: Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and YAY for the snow! :D

Archived