What Are You Afraid Of?

Guest Samantha1

Story Title: 'What are you afraid of?'

Type of story: Long Fic

Main Characters: Charlie, Brax and others.

BTTB rating: A

Genre: Romance, Drama.

Does story include spoilers: No.

Any warnings: Some rape references towards the end.

Summary: Charlie and Brax based fanfiction, set just as the Riverboys move to the Bay. Charlie tries to resist her feelings for Brax, but will his charm manage to win her over? Don't really know what else to say about it, I hope you all enjoy! :)

Hello guys, so this is my fourth fanfic overall, but the first one i'm posting on here, I hope you enjoy. (: Sorry, forgot to write on the specification bit, main characters are Charlie and Brax of course, and involve others (: Rated: A. SC and some L.

Charlie’s POV:

I exited my room wearing a short black dress, fitted tightly around my bust but flowed loosely from my waist onwards, it cut off just above my knee, I matched it with a pair of navy blue boot-style heels, I had my hair tied up into a tight bun, I slung my clutch bag over my shoulder and met Ruby in the lounge,

“My my, don’t you scrub up well.” She said.

“Thanks sweetie, you’re looking pretty fine yourself.” I glanced down at her peach dress that complimented her skin beautifully. She was wearing my black heels for the night and her hair fell in loose waves just passed her shoulders,

“Gee thanks.” She said,

“Obviously trying to impress a certain Braxton hey?” She blushed slightly.

Casey and Ruby had been seeing each other for about a month now, he started going to Summer Bay high recently, Ruby had met his brothers on numerous occasions and persuaded me that they were generally good guys, despite the whole rough, bad-ass facade they put up. Unfortunately for me, I had to take her word for it, as I had never met them and held a decent conversation with either brother; they still lived in Mangrove River, and barely came down to Summer Bay, except for when they wanted to cause trouble. When she first started dating Casey, I was completely against the idea, however, his genuine personality soon gained me on side, and I thought, if his brothers are half as lovely as he was, I wouldn’t mind a bit of Braxton myself, providing they were attractive of course.

“Bianca rang and said she’s already there so should we get going?” Ruby snapped me out of my thoughts, I smiled at her and nodded,

“Yup, let’s go.” I grabbed my car keys and headed towards the door, we were going to the fundraiser party on the beach to raise awareness to breast cancer, it was mainly being done for Irene, Ruby asked if she should call a cab but I assured her I had no intentions of drinking and that it’d be fine.

-Beach party, 8:15pm.-

Bianca, Ruby, Leah and I were standing around the bar, getting in the drinks, Casey had abandoned Ruby for a few minutes to talk to some of the younger riverboys, the ones who didn’t tend to get in as much trouble with the law,

“Oh look, it’s Casey’s brothers.” I looked up to see a few riverboys heading over to Casey and co, Casey turned and walked towards us, two attractive men walking behind him, one being much more attractive than the other,

“Those are Casey’s brothers?” I asked in disbelief, I glanced at Ruby and she nodded,

“Chill Charlie, they’re nice, well, Heath’s a bit of an idiot, but hey.”

“The bad ones really are so so hot.” Bianca whispered as the boys approached, Leah excused herself,

“Ooh, Miles is here.” I watched her as she headed in his direction before I returned my attention back to the three boys standing before us,

“Hey Rubes.” The most attractive of the two said.

“Hey kid.” The other one said.

“Hey guys.” Ruby replied enthusiastically,

She pointed to the most attractive, than the other one, “This is Brax, and Heath.” She then pointed to me and Bianca, “This is my mom, Charlie, and Bianca.”

Brax stuck out his hand in my direction, I shook it lightly before letting go and placing my hand back to my side,

“Oh, there’s April, let’s go Case.” Ruby said.

I watched as Ruby made a swift exit with Casey, I glanced up at Brax again, he smiled at me warmly, Heath and Bianca seemed to have engaged in their own private conversation and so, Brax and I were left alone to talk, not that I was complaining.

“So Charlie, what do you do for a living?” Brax asked, I picked my drink up and took a sip of it,

“That’s a secret.” I replied seductively,

“Oooh, I love a woman with a bit of mystery.”

“Maybe you could take a guess?” He stepped closer towards me, I bit my lip as he looked me up and down, he grinned at me before settling his gaze on mine again,

“Well, attractive lady like yourself, I’m guessing, you could be, one of those really hot nurses.”

I laughed at his suggestion, “Naw.”

“Lawyer?” He questioned again.

“Naw.”

“Waitress?”

“No!” I yelled slightly this time,

“Chef?”

I laughed again, “You’re terrible at this.”

I took another sip of my wine before looking into his eyes again, “No, no, hang on, I’ve got it.” I looked at him questioningly, “You’re a nun.”

I laughed before asking himself about his career, “So what do you do?”

He took a step closer to me, I looked up at him and smiled at the sexy grin he wore, “I thought you wanted me to guess what you did?”

“That’s before I realised how bad you were at guessing.” I gently placed my hand on his chest, the effects of my third glass of wine evidently taking their toll on me. I felt his heart beating incredibly fast, probably matching the speed of my own, “So c’mon, spill.”

I dropped my hand back down to my side again,

“Well, I’m not as much of a tease as you are so I’ll just tell ya, I own the restaurant above the surf club, Angelo’s.”

I frowned, he noticed this, “What?” He asked.

“Nothing, I just didn’t realise Angelo was selling, that’s all.”

“Yeah, apparently he’s leaving the bay too.”

“WHAT?” I asked, shocked that Angelo was leaving and failed to mention it to me.

“I’m guessing you know each other and he hasn’t told you?”

“You guess correctly, this time.” I laughed,

“Well, maybe I could take you out sometime and you could give me a number of things to guess about to your heart’s content?”

I looked up at him and smiled, “Maybe.” I said softly before heading over to where Leah was.

Brax’s POV:

Charlie looked up at me and grinned as I walked over to her, carrying a beer for me in one hand and another glass of wine for her in the other,

“Here, I got you this.” I said as I handed her the wine.

I sat down beside her on the sand, watching the few remaining partygoers,

“Mr. Braxton, you’re not trying to get me drunk are you?” She asked seductively.

“Never in my wildest dreams, Miss. Buckton.” I flashed her a smiled before noticing her shivering slightly,

“You cold?” I asked, she nodded, “D’ya want a jacket?”

She raised her eyebrows at me, “You’re not wearing one.”

“Well, I could literally give you the shirt off my back.” She laughed at me, “I’m sure you wouldn’t mind, you’d get to see me half naked, don’t worry, I’ll pretend I didn’t see you checking me out.”

She grinned at me, “Really, I’m not that cold.” She said smugly.

“So, what’s the plan for the rest of your night?” I asked.

“I’ve got a date with my bed.”

“Well, you know if you play your cards right, you could have me in your bed.”

She laughed at my comment before closing the tiny gap between us, I felt her warm breath on my face and shivered, “And you’d like that would you?” She asked, her voice low and even sexier than before, my mouth dried up and I soon found I couldn’t speak, instead I just nodded my head, she grinned before brushing her lips past my cheek as she made her way to my ear,

“I don’t think so.” She whispered before hopping up and heading off, swinging her shoes in her hand as she did so.

“Night Charlie!” I called after her, she turned around and winked at me before walking up the beach.

Charlie’s POV:

I reached the pathway to the surf club, I slipped my shoes on before heading back to my car, assuming Ruby would be waiting there for me, I didn’t get very far before a large hand covered my mouth, a strong arm was placed around my waist and I was dragged into the alley-way behind the surf club, I tried to scream, I kicked and flailed my arms and legs about but it was useless. The mystery attacker pushed me against the wall and faced me, his piercing blue eyes glaring deep into mine, his hood up tightly so I couldn’t see much of his face or anything else, he placed his hand on my knee and began to slide his hand up my leg, I tried to fight using every instinct in my body but I found myself paralyzed, just how I felt when in the same situation, 19 years ago, and I knew, I just knew, that I’d be powerless to stop it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Review and let me know your thoughts are on this please guys! (:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no! Poor Charlie! Not again :( I hope she doesn't think it was Brax becasue of their conversation, although he doesnt have blue eyes, so if she remembers that, maybe not..... :unsure: Loved the conversation with Charlie and Brax, was cheeky :P

Great start. Update soon. :)

Omg, what a great story!! Really well written :)

Brax and Charlie were just adorable, I loved there little flirty interactions. Can't wait to see how their relationship progresses!

Cant believe the ending.. Did not see that coming at all! Poor Charlie :(

Can't wait for the next update, more soon please :)

WOAH !!!! Was not expecting that ending at all !!!! This fic is ACE !!!!!, especially.............

 I exited my room wearing a short black dress, fitted tightly around my bust but flowed loosely from my waist onwards, it cut off just above my knee, I matched it with a pair of navy blue boot-style heels,

 Ruby had met his brothers on numerous occasions and persuaded me that they were generally good guys, despite the whole rough, bad-ass facade they put up.

 Casey had abandoned Ruby for a few minutes to talk to some of the younger riverboys, the ones who didn’t tend to get in as much trouble with the law,

 “Chill Charlie, they’re nice, well, Heath’s a bit of an idiot, but hey.”

“The bad ones really are so so hot.” Bianca whispered as the boys approached, Leah excused herself,

 “Well, attractive lady like yourself, I’m guessing, you could be, one of those really hot nurses.”

 I laughed again, “You’re terrible at this.”

I took another sip of my wine before looking into his eyes again, “No, no, hang on, I’ve got it.” I looked at him questioningly, “You’re a nun.”

 “WHAT?” I asked, shocked that Angelo was leaving and failed to mention it to me.

 “Well, I could literally give you the shirt off my back.” She laughed at me, “I’m sure you wouldn’t mind, you’d get to see me half naked, don’t worry, I’ll pretend I didn’t see you checking me out.”

 I didn’t get very far before a large hand covered my mouth, a strong arm was placed around my waist and I was dragged into the alley-way behind the surf club, I tried to scream, I kicked and flailed my arms and legs about but it was useless. The mystery attacker pushed me against the wall and faced me, his piercing blue eyes glaring deep into mine, his hood up tightly so I couldn’t see much of his face or anything else, he placed his hand on my knee and began to slide his hand up my leg, I tried to fight using every instinct in my body but I found myself paralyzed, just how I felt when in the same situation, 19 years ago, and I knew, I just knew, that I’d be powerless to stop it.

Thanks to those of you who reviewed, it means a lot! I hope you enjoy this one. Next update probably won’t be for another few days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Brax’s POV:

After watching Charlie walk away and out of sight I smiled to myself before getting up, I figured I should let Heath know I was gonna head home, I headed towards him to see he was pre-occupied with Bianca, I laughed before I turned on my heels and walked towards the surf club car park to head home. I walked past the alley when I heard a voice,

“Shut up bitch.” Came a man’s deep voice. I stopped dead in my tracks and walked backwards, I squinted into the dark alley to see a tall man, slipping his hand up a tall, beautiful woman’s leg, Charlie.

I quickly ran towards them, “OI, GET OFF HER!” I yelled.

The man backed away from Charlie and backed away into the wall, he hit a dead end, there was no-where for him to go, I could have beaten him senseless then and there, but a sobbing Charlie made me realise that comforting her meant more than attacking the guy who tried to do this to her, I walked up to her and gently rubbed her arm comfortingly, before letting go and turning to face the man, I felt Charlie’s small hand delicately grip the end on my shirt,

“She wanted it, I swear.” The man backed further against the wall,

“Are you kidding me?!” I spat angrily, “She’s shaking, she’s crying!” I yelled, much louder this time, my own emotions clouding my judgment,

“Brax.” I heard Charlie whisper, her grip on my shirt tightened ever so slightly.

“Brax?” I heard Sam’s voice come from the end of the alley, I extended my left arm towards the man and pushed him back against the wall, holding his chest tightly so he didn’t go anywhere,

“Mate, can you come down here?” He was instantly standing by my side, “Could you call the police, attempted rape, and take him out there please.” I pointed towards the area where a few people had started to gather, he nodded, “Don’t let him out of your sight.” I said, he nodded again before grabbing him by his collar and pulling him towards the others.

I turned my full attention to Charlie, she let go of her grasp on the back of my shirt, her hand fell into her other one as she fumbled with her fingers aimlessly, she proceeded to tugging her dress down violently to the point where she nearly ripped it,

“Charlie, hey, hey.” I said soothingly as I pulled her hands away from her dress, she still couldn’t bring herself to look up at me.

I gently moved my hand to underneath her face, in an attempt to lift her head up so I can look into my eyes, as soon as my hand made contact with her skin she moved away from me and hit her head against the wall,

“Eek.” She let out a small whimper of pain.

“Charlie.” She looked up at me this time, so I had full view of her tear-stained face, the tears still freely flowing down her cheeks. I gently moved both hands towards her face this time and she didn’t back away, I used my thumbs to wipe the tears away before I dropped them back down to my side, she sent me a weak smile,

“Thank you.” She said in a voice barely audible, I sent her a comforting smile and nodded,

“He didn’t, he didn’t, y-y’know?” I asked, unable to say the words, she shook her head before she began to shake again, this time it got worse, her knees became slightly weak and she nearly fell but I gripped onto her waist,

“God, Charlie.” I breathed, before I picked her up in my arms, one hand under her legs and the other on the small of her back as I carried her out of the alley, she used her left hand to cling onto my shirt tightly, still trembling.

“Is she alright?” Leah asked, word had obviously gotten around to the few people that remained, I nodded slightly before I walked towards the Surf Club, it was open as they needed it for a supply of drinks, John had opened it up fully and turned the lights on as the police spoke to the attacker indoors, I carried Charlie inside and was greeted by a frantic Ruby,

“Oh my gosh Charlie, I heard what happened are you, alright?” She asked rapidly, Charlie nodded weakly, I walked over to a large table and placed her down on it, she let go of my shirt and replaced her hands to the fidgety state they were in before.

Ruby came over and stood beside Charlie, as much as I didn’t want to, I thought I should leave them to it.

“I’m gonna head home, night.” I said before turning and beginning to walk away,

“No.” I heard Charlie say, I turned around to face her, “Please, don’t go Brax.” I walked back over to her and stood beside her, “Please, can you just stay with me?” She asked as her hand searched for mine, I took hold of her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze,

“I’m here, I’m not going anywhere.” I said softly.

She smiled at me, warmer this time before Casey interrupted us, he put his arm around Ruby,

“You alright, Charlie?” I glanced back down at her and she nodded,

“Is it alright if I take Ruby home?” She nodded again,

“Thanks Casey.” She said.

Ruby came over and kissed Charlie’s cheek, “Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?” Charlie shook her head,

“No baby, go home and get some sleep.”

She nodded before she got up, ‘Thank you.’ she mouthed to me, I smiled at her before she left with Casey, their places taken by two police officers,

“You ready to give us your story, Charlie?” One of the officers asked.

She nodded before she gave them a short version of what had happened, there wasn’t much to it, the cops turned their attention to me,

“Mr. Braxton, can you tell us your version of events?”

“I was on my way to my car before I heard his voice, I went down there to see what was going on, a friend came, took him into the surf club to wait for you guys, I stayed with Charlie.”

They both nodded, “Thank you.” The younger of the officers said before they retreated, taking that pig who tried to rape Charlie with them.

I refocused my gaze on her, her eyes caught mine and she smiled, “Let’s get you home, eh?”

“Yeah alright.” She slowly got off the table as we walked out of the surf club car park and towards my car.

She shivered as the cold air got to her, I had no jacket to offer her as she so amply pointed out earlier on, instead I gently placed my arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to me, I felt her hesitate ever so slightly before she relaxed into my arms, she placed her hand on my back as we walked over to my car.

-Charlie’s house.-

I pulled up outside Charlie’s house; Casey’s car out the front. Ruby had given me the directions earlier on before she left the surf club. I glanced at the clock, 1am. I sighed before I looked across at Charlie, sleeping soundly, I smiled before I got out of the car and headed over to her side. I opened her side of the door before undoing her seatbelt and lifting her out of the car, she stirred in my arms before nestling her head into my chest, I kicked the door shut and headed towards the house, I used my free hand to knock on the door, Ruby answered it, Casey standing beside her.

“Her bedroom’s the second on the left.” Ruby said, I nodded before I headed towards her room, Ruby went in before me and pulled the covers back for Charlie before I placed her down on the bed, she took of her shoes before kissing her forehead, both of us left the room.

“I’m gonna head home now, night Rubes.” I said.

“Night Brax, thanks again for tonight.” I nodded before turning and leaving the house.

-Following morning, police station, 12pm.-

Charlie’s POV:

I signed and wrote off various pieces of paperwork whilst sitting at my desk at work, not really paying attention to what I was doing, my mind still transporting me back to the night before, fear I hadn’t experienced in 19 years came rushing back, except this time, nothing actually happened, because Brax got there in time; and as much of a criminal as everyone made him out to be, he was the furthest thing from it, in fact, he was actually my hero.

My thoughts were interrupted by Georgina entering my office door,

“Oh, Charlie?” She questioned, surprised to see me, “I didn’t think you’d be coming in today, what with all the stuff that happened last night.”

I glanced up at her and smiled, “Well, you can’t let life’s little glitches drag you down.” She nodded,

“Well, seeing as you’re here you can organise the release for Heath Braxton.”

I raised my eyebrows, “Heath Braxton?”

“Yes, last night some officers saw him supposedly selling drugs, but Darryl Braxton him is here to bail him out, plus, we haven’t got enough evidence to prosecute.”

I nodded and stood up, I followed her outside to be greeted by a shocked and amused looking Brax, she went to get Heath whilst I spoke to Brax,

“Hey.” I said as I approached him.

“Dear Lord.” Came his reply, I looked at him quizzically, “You’re a copper?”

I laughed at his amazement and nodded, “Oh well done, you should get a medal.” I said sarcastically, he laughed at me,

“Well, that’s interesting.” He said.

“A good kind of interesting I hope.” I replied.

“Definitely.” He replied, I glared into his eyes and smiled, momentarily getting lost in them before his voice brought me out of my trance, “It makes you all the hotter.” I laughed at his forwardness, “So how are you? I mean, after last night and all?”

“Oh I’m good, thanks, and thanks for being my hero I guess, and for bringing me home and everything, Rubes filled me in.”

He smiled and nodded, “No problem, if I were you though, I don’t think I’d be back to work quite so soon.”

“Well, gotta put the criminals behind bars eh?” He smiled, his grin quickly faded when he noticed what I was looking at, the guy from last night, stood not so far away, glaring at me, again with those piercing blue eyes, Brax took a step closer to me and placed a comforting hand on my arm,

“Charlie?” I shook his hand off me and looked up at him,

“No, look, I’m fine okay?”

One of the officers came over to me, “Constable, what’s going on?”

“He’s being remanded in custody up in Reefton Lakes, he’s admitted to attempted rape so the sentencing’s tomorrow.” I nodded before I watched as he was escorted out of the station.

I looked back to Brax, “I’m fine.” I said again, he acknowledged my response with a nod, before he went over to greet Heath.

I headed back into my office and sat down, trying to clear the thoughts of Brax from my head, in a desperate attempt to stop my heart being twenty to the dozen.

-Charlie’s house, 10pm.-

I arrived home to see Ruby and Casey placing a pizza box on the kitchen unit,

“Hey you two.” I said.

“Ah hello, I was just about to leave you a post-it note saying there’s some pizza left for you.”

“Ah, I’m not really hungry Rubes, thanks anyway, I’m just gonna get changed.”

I changed into some sweats and a tshirt, my purple silk dressing gown over the top. I exited my room to see Casey and Ruby snuggled up on the couch, watching TV, I smiled before heading out to the kitchen and getting water.

I ended up sitting on a stool in the kitchen and eating a fruit salad, not wanting to cramp their style next door, it was approaching 11pm when there was a knock on the door, I hopped off the stool and answered the door to see Brax on the other side,

“Hey.” He said.

“Hi.” I said surprised to see him, “What are you doing here?”

“I just finished up at the restaurant and wondered if Casey wanted a lift home?”

“Ah right.” I opened the door wider so he could enter, I stood in the living room doorway,

“Casey, Brax is here if you want a lift.” I informed him.

“Yeah, we’ll just finish watching this.” Ruby replied.

I grinned before turning back around to face Brax, now, slightly embarrassed with my appearance.

“Can I get you a drink or anything?” I asked.

“Naah, I’m good thanks.” He smiled at me, “So, what’ve you been up to?”

“Er, just got home from work about half an hour ago and going to get an early night probably.”

“Ah I see.” He took a step closer to me, I could feel his warm breath on my face and it sent shockwaves down my spine,

“Brax.” I said, just about managing to catch my breath. He silenced me by placing his index finger on my lips,

“I like you, Charlie.” I removed my gaze from where his finger rested and glared up into his eyes, I got lost in the moment before stepping away,

“No, I’m a cop, you’re a riverboy!” I exclaimed, quietly so Ruby and Casey wouldn’t hear.

“And what?!” He asked, stepping closer to me again, closing the gap between us,

“It’d never work.” I stepped back again, this time he grabbed my hand, I shook it loose just as Ruby and Casey walked in, she must’ve notice the tense look on both of our faces,

“What’s going on?” She asked.

“Nothing.” I replied.

“You ready to go mate?” Brax asked Casey, he responded with a nod of the head,

“Night Rubes, Charlie.” Brax said.

“Goodnight.” I said, I shut the door behind them both,

“I’m going to bed Charlie, nightttt.” Ruby said cheerfully before hurrying off to bed.

I sat back up on the stool and began to play with the fork, poking the fruit about in the bowl, my mind was elsewhere, Brax. At times like these, I prayed that life could be so much easier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Thanks again for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :)

Archived