What Are You Afraid Of?

Guest Samantha1

Thanks for all the wonderful reviews, hope you like this next one.

Chapter 24.

Charlie’s POV:

I slowly opened my eyes to face the letters of Brax’s chest tattoo, I looked up and smiled as his glimmering green eyes shone down at me.

“Hey beautiful,” he smiled as he looked at me intently,

“Morning.” I smiled back at him before looking down at what I was wearing. I raised my eyebrows as I looked up at him, he laughed before beginning his

explanation,

“Charlotte Buckton, what do you take me for?” He laughed, “You fell asleep last night in my car, I simply stripped you out of your wet clothes and put you in one of

my hoodies.”

I raised my eyebrows at him once again, “Wet?”

“It was raining last night?” I frowned and shook my head, “Gosh, do you remember anything?”

I laughed before reaching up and kissing him passionately, “I remember that,” he smiled before kissing my cheek,

“Of course you’d remember that.” He laughed.

“Give me time for my memory to adjust, you know what I’m like in the mornings.”

“Yeah, I know all too well,” he told me before kissing my lips, “We wake up many mornings and you don’t know what went on the night before, it’s very deflating for

a man’s confidence.”

“Baby, please, I doubt you need my memory for your ego to feel good.”

Brax grinned at me cheekily, “You’re right, your moaning and begging the night before is solely enough.” My mouth fell open and he earned a tough slap on the

chest, leaving a red mark under his tattoo, “Ow, that hurt.” He rolled his eyes before pouting and rubbing his hand over his chest.

“Aw poor baby.” I grinned cheekily before placing a few soft kisses over the mark before nuzzling my head back into his chest again, “I don't believe it, I actually leave for a break and I don't even end up spending the night away.”

“It’s because I’m too irresistible.” He laughed as he moved back to glance down at my reaction, I simply looked up at him before looking away, “Too soon?” He

asked before moving his head to catch my eyes,

“Too soon.” I confirmed before tracing the letters of his Blood and Sand tattoo with my finger,

“Sorry,” he whispered before kissing my forehead.

“Don’t be,” I smiled, “You’re just being your usual, cheeky self.” I smiled as I looked up at him before I leaned forward and kissed his lips.

We lay together in a comfortable silence before Brax squirmed around slightly, “Let’s get some food.” He told me as his hand ran through my hair.

“I’m not hungry,” I smiled weakly as I looked up at him.

“You have to eat, Charlie.” He protested.

I sighed as I watched him look at the bruises on my arm before he once again studied the ones on my face, “Stop staring at me,” I told him before stroking his jaw line.

“I’m not.” He replied.

“I’m not blind, I can see you.”

“I just can't believe I let them do this to you, and then I was stupid enough to think it was all real and that you didn't love me anymore,”

“Well, now you know I do.” I smiled before kissing his cheek, “And don’t blame yourself,” he smiled, I kissed his lips this time, “I know if you knew, and if you were thinking straight, you would’ve done anything to protect me.”

“Anything and everything.” He confirmed before kissing my lips and pulling me back into his embrace.

x-x

Brax’s POV:

“So...” I began as I wrapped my arms around Charlie’s waist after we had finished eating breakfast, “Do I get my key back?” I asked cheekily, she leaned back out

of my grasp and studied my face before grinning,

“You really are the cheeky one,” she laughed before kissing my lips gently, “But yes, yes you do.” She said enthusiastically before pulling out of my grasp and

skipping down the hall. I grinned as she returned before handing me a key, “Thanking you.” I smiled before kissing her lips again, her grin widened as her hands slid up my chest until they linked around my neck, she slipped her tongue into my mouth, instantly increasing the intensity of our kiss.

We broke apart when Ruby walked into the house followed by Casey, she looked at Charlie dressed in one of my hoodies and immediately a large grin covered her

face, “Yay!” She squealed before running over to the pair of us and engulfing us in a three-way hug.

Charlie and I both laughed at her before the three of us sat down, “So, how’d it happen?” Ruby asked keenly,

“Ruby, we are not doing this!” Casey told her, “That’s wrong on so many levels, that’s my brother, and she’s your mother!”

Ruby thought about what he said for a moment before screwing her face up, “You’re right, sorry guys, I’ll pass.” She laughed before she got up and joined Casey.

“So, I have to go and check on Angelo’s,” I told Charlie as I stood up,

“Really?” She pouted as she looked up at me,

“Really,” I smiled before pulling her to her feet and into my arms, “But, you can meet me later?”

She smiled before nodding her head, “I’d like that,” her smile grew as she took my hands and pulled me in the direction of the bathroom, “I think we should take a

shower first though,” she said seductively. I sighed lightly before shaking my head, I didn’t want to rush things as I only got her back last night and judging from

her bruises, she’d still be in pain. She spoke up having noticed my reaction, “Not like that Brax,” she added, “A perfectly innocent one.”

I smiled before kissing her forehead, “Well in that case...” I grinned as she squealed as I picked her up in my arms and walked the rest of the way to the bathroom.

x-x

Charlie’s POV:

Brax had dropped me back at my place to get a change of clothes before he headed off to Angelo’s, I arranged to meet Bianca at the diner as we had various

things to catch up on.

“So you two are back together?” Bianca grinned as she looked at me, I smiled and nodded,

“We sure are,” her smile grew.

“So how’d it happen?”

“He just got sick of talking to me so when we drove back to the cabin he just kissed the hell outta me.”

“And that worked?”

I became a little flustered just thinking about Brax’s amazing kisses, “Oh yeah,” I grinned, “That worked alright.”

She frowned as she looked up before whispering, “Incoming, doc alert.” I turned around just in time to see Sid settle in the seat beside me,

“Afternoon, ladies.” He smiled.

“Hi, Sid.” I cleared my throat as I looked over at him, I knew exactly what he’d be checking up on seeing as I missed my two hospital appointments, “I’m fine,

really.” I told him.

“Really? How do you know you’re fine, have you ever miscarried before?”

“No, bu-”

“Then you don’t know, Charlie,” he told me, I sighed, “You need to come to at least one test, Charlie, and because of the extent of the injuries you face, missing

two isn’t a good idea at all.”

“I’m sorry, I’ve just been a little busy,” I lied, well actually, I didn’t lie, I was busy trying to forget about Brax and escape Summer Bay.

“Okay, well I’ll book you in for another appointment with the nurse and then let you know,” I smiled at him gratefully, “And counselling sessions are available too-”

It was now my turn to interrupt him, “That won’t be necessary,” I told him honestly.

“Well, I recommend you think about it, Charlie, dealing with the loss of a baby-”

It was an astounded Brax who interrupted this time, “Yo-you were pregnant?”

I felt the air leave my lungs as I turned around and looked up at him, tears brimming my eyes, I could see hurt etched across his face. I opened my mouth to

speak but I found myself unable to communicate any words, instead, I did as best as I could to pull myself to my feet, and flee the diner.

I was part of the way down to the beach when I felt someone’s huge arms wrap around me from behind and pull my body into theirs, I didn’t even need to look up

to see who it was, I knew it was him. Instead I relaxed into his embrace and gripped onto his t-shirt tightly as I began to mourn for the death of our unborn child.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Brax asked softly as we eventually pulled away,

“I tried to, I was scared.” I whispered as I looked up at him.

“Charlie, I had a right to know,” his voice was breaking through the hurt, “You didn’t get rid of it did you?” He asked.

My mouth fell open at the accusation, “HOW DARE YOU!” I yelled before stepping away from him, “The reason I lost it, was because when you were too busy having

sex with another woman, you're so-called 'girlfriend' was getting beaten up by two of your enemies, so thanks for your concern!” I tried to move past him but he

grabbed my arm,

“Nah, Charlie wait.” He begged me,

“Just leave me alone!” I yelled before pulling free of his grasp and running as far away from him as my legs would carry me.

x-x

Brax’s POV:

My head was spinning after having received so much information in under five minutes, I found myself sitting on the beach in a heap, tears escaping my eyes as I

finally realised just how large Charlie’s ordeal was, and not once did I even contemplate asking her if she needed help, or if there was anything she wanted to tell

me, instead I was selfish, as per usual, and it cost me the life of our son or daughter.

x-x

Charlie’s POV:

A couple of hours later I was sitting on the couch talking to Ruby, she immediately knew something was up as soon as she came home and I spilled all to her.

“Where is he now?” Ruby asked after pulling away from the hug we’d been wrapped in for a while.

“I have no idea Rubes, and I don’t care,” I said weakly, just as there was a faint knock on the front door,

“I’ll get it,” she said softly before getting up and heading to the front door, “Brax,” I heard her say,

“Hey,” he replied warmly, he was very fond of Ruby, “She in?” I sighed and rolled my eyes before standing up and joining her in the kitchen, “Hey,” Brax smiled

when he saw me.

“Hey, you have a key, why didn’t you use it?” I smiled lightly.

“Yeah well, I didn’t know how well it’d go down, thought knocking would be safest,” we both laughed lightly before Ruby excused herself,

“I’m gonna leave,” she had given up on her subtlety a long time ago.

“I eh... is it alright if I talk to you?” Brax asked as he lingered in the doorway,

“Yeah of course you can, come in,” I smiled as he walked into the house, both of us standing in the kitchen, I thought it best if I made the first move, “I’m sorry for

yelling at you earlier, you didn’t deserve it and I’m sorry.”

“Nah, you had every right to,” he smiled as he stepped forward before taking my hands in his, “I just wish you told me,” he added softly.

“I promise you I was, it’s just... I tried to tell you a while ago, but I couldn’t, and we only got back together yesterday, I just needed a bit of time to know you’d

support me, and not hate me.”

“Baby, I’d always support you, and I could never hate you, ever.” He smiled before stepping forward and placing a soft kiss on my forehead,

“I’m sorry, I’m so, so, sorry,” I whispered before breaking down in tears, he was quick to support me with his arms and try and calm me down, “This is all my fault,

I... I should have been stronger,” I whispered through the tears.

“None of this is your fault,” Brax whispered back, “None of it.”

“But it is, it was my job to protect our baby, and I didn’t do that.”

He sighed and broke the hug before cupping my cheeks with his hands, “And it was my job to protect you, and I didn’t do that.”

“Don’t you dare blame yourself.” I told him.

“Then don’t blame yourself either,” he smiled lightly, “Deal?”

“Deal.” I confirmed before relaxing into his embrace once again.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing update,

Casey's line about it being wrong on so many levels when ruby asked how they got back together cracked me up big time :lol:!!

Aww all the stuff about the miscarriage was so heartbreaking :(!!

Cue ending though :wub:!!

More soon please :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s the next one, hope it’s alright and thanks for the reviews 8-)

x-x

Chapter 25.

Charlie’s POV:

I smiled lightly as my hand played with the hem of Brax’s t-shirt while my head rested on his chest. After we’d sorted things out, we’d made our way into the living

room and settled down comfortably, deciding to watch a movie.

“So I was thinking,” Brax began as he smiled down at me.

"That's letal." I smirked,

"Hey!" He laughed lightly before nudging me.

"Anyway, thinking about what?” I asked as I looked up at him.

He laughed lightly, his chest vibrating as he did so, “Oh nothing too deep, just that maybe we could go to the beach?” He suggested.

I sighed lightly, “But it’s ten o’clock at night,” I frowned up at him.

“So? Where’s your sense of adventure? Plus, you know how good the beach looks at night.” He teased before untangling himself from me and standing up,

“No, I was comfortable,” I whined as he began turning the television off and putting the DVD back in its case.

“Tough sugar, honey, now get up.” He grinned as he stood in front of me.

“No, I’m too comfortable and snug.” I moaned before closing my eyes and leaning the back of my head against the couch, I smiled as I felt Brax’s lips on mine,

“Now will you get up?” He whispered in my ear before kissing my lips again, I opened my eyes to see his cheeky grin plastered on his face,

“Fine,” I groaned before allowing him to pull me to my feet, just as he did so, Ruby and Casey came in.

“Hey guys, you fancy joining us down at the beach?” Brax asked them.

Ruby raised her eyebrows, “You’re going to the beach?” She asked, Brax and I nodded, “Now?” She asked again.

Brax laughed, “Why is it such an absurd suggestion?” He questioned her.

“No, it’s not that it’s just- Charlie, you’re going?”

“Yes,” I laughed, “Why are you so surprised?” I asked her.

“Oh you’ve changed so much,” she grinned, “Let me just get my stuff.” She told us before walking into her bedroom.

“Speaking of stuff,” Brax began as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and rested his chin on my shoulder, “You should go and get a very, very

sexy bikini on,” his lips formed into a smile as he placed a kiss on my neck. I laughed and shook out of his grasp before turning to face him,

“Unbelievable,” I rolled my eyes before walking towards my bedroom,

“YOU LOVE IT!” he called after me.

“Whatever!” I yelled back before motioning to close my door, only to be stopped by Brax, “And what are you doing?” I asked as I looked up at him.

“I’m coming into your room,” he grinned.

“Just wait outside.” I told him whilst trying to push him out,

“I will not, Casey’s in Ruby’s room and I don’t wanna be by myself.”

“Aww, is someone afraid of the dark?” I teased before grabbing his shirt and pulling him into my bedroom.

“Maybe,” he grinned before sitting on the edge of my bed and looking up at me. I laughed at his child-like appearance before going over to my chest of drawers

and pulling out my navy blue bikini,

“Is this sexy enough for you?” I asked as I held it up, he looked over at me before nodding his head eagerly, he looked as excited as a child on Christmas morning,

“Well, I’ll need to see it on you first,” he winked. I laughed before beginning to undress myself, being sure to throw my bra and knickers at Brax as I did so, “That’s

teasing.” He sighed before placing my underwear on the floor beside my other clothes.

“You were the one that wanted to watch me get changed.” I laughed before putting my bikini on, I sighed as I looked over at Brax who was eyeing up particular

parts of my body, “It’s rude to stare,” I smiled lightly as I gently ran my hand over the large bruise on my stomach,

“Sorry,” he smiled lightly as he watched me put my light, purple sun-dress over the top, “They hurt?” He asked.

“Of course they don’t,” I smiled before slipping on my sandals.

“Charlie, I’m so sorry,” Brax sighed.

“I told you before; you’ve got nothing to be sorry for.”

“Nah, but I do, don’t I? Because I’m your boyfriend, and instead of reading that note, knowing you would never, ever have done it and choosing not to find you and

find out what happened, I should’ve looked for you, and maybe none of this would’ve happened.”

I sighed before wrapping my arms around his waist, and pressing my body against his, causing him to look down at me, “I don’t blame you for any of this, not for a

second, and everything happens for a reason, right?” I smiled lightly before kissing his chest, “I love you,” I told him before resting my head against his chest as I

held him tightly.

“I love you too,” he replied before wrapping his arms around me and holding me close to him.

“You two lovebirds ready to go?” Ruby smiled as she walked into my bedroom to see us embracing, “Sorry, am I interrupting?” She asked, I shook my head,

“Casey and I will wait outside.”

I smiled at her before pulling away from Brax, “Now, are we ready to go have some fun?” I grinned as I entwined my hand with his.

“Sure are baby, sure are.” He smiled confidently before kissing my lips and following me out to the car.

x-x

Brax’s POV:

I brushed the water away from my face as I walked out of the ocean and back up to Charlie. Casey, Ruby and I went in the water while Charlie, even after much

persuasion, decided to stay on dry land.

“Hey gorgeous,” I grinned as I stood beside her.

“Your board shorts are sticking to you very tightly,” she smirked cheekily as she looked up at me standing over her.

I shook my head before pulling her to a sitting position and sliding behind her, my arms wrapped firmly around her waist as her back was pressed into my centre,

she instantly went rigid, “Ew, Brax, you’re all wet.”

“So what?” I smirked as she turned around to face me before pulling her body further back into mine, causing her to moan and sigh. “What are you thinking

about?” I asked as I noticed she was away with the fairies.

She smiled lightly before leaning back into me as she played with my fingers, “Nothing,” she said dismissively.

“Charlie...” I prompted.

“Okay, fine,” she gave in, before turning her head slightly so she could look up at me, “I was just wondering what it would have been like to be a mother from the

start, you know, not like how things were with Ruby.” She sighed, “Stupid I know,” she laughed lightly before looking down.

“It’s not stupid,” I assured her before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

“Mhm,” she mumbled, “Did you ever think about being a dad?”

I smiled lightly before nodding, “Yeah, quite a lot actually, if I had a little boy, I’d teach him how to surf, hell, even if I had a little girl, I’d teach her to surf,” I

smiled, “And even thought I would’ve loved to have had a baby with you, I know we weren’t ready, and if you think about it, we've got time to focus on us right

now, and our right to have a kid’s been taken from us, and there’s nothing we can do about it.” I sighed lightly before kissing her forehead once again, not before

noticing the tear that had escaped Charlie’s eye, I wiped it away before resting my forehead against hers, “Plus, we’ve got plenty of time to have kids in the future,

and lots of them,” I grinned as I saw Charlie’s lips form into a smile, “And at the rate we go, it’ll be quicker than you think.” I added cheekily, I laughed as she

slapped my chest before rolling her eyes, “So, are you gonna come and join me out in the water?”

“No,” she replied shortly.

“Ah, what?” I asked, clearly disappointed.

“I can’t be bothered, Brax.” She exclaimed. I laughed at her laziness before standing up and extended my hands towards her, which she took as I pulled her to her

feet.

“Well, you’re wet already, and you’re already in a bikini... which you look very sexy in by the way.” She laughed before nodding her head, “Get in, you’re gonna

come in with me?” I asked, she nodded again. I grinned at her before picking her up and slinging her over my shoulder as I carried her into the water.

Charlie’s POV:

I squealed as Brax lifted me over his shoulder and carried me towards the water, “Brax!” I screamed, “Brax, put me down!” I heard him laugh as he continued

walking towards the water. I grinned mischievously as I found myself staring at his backside, I grinned before placing my hand at the waistband of his boardies,

“You sure you don’t wanna put me down?” I asked, he replied quickly.

“I’m positive.” He began chuckling again as he continued to walk.

“Fair enough,” I smirked before dipping my hand into his board shorts, he instantly froze before putting me down, trying to compose himself, I looked up at him

with a cheeky grin.

“That was uncalled for,” he told me, “You’re supposed to play by the book.” He informed me.

“Baby, there is no book where you’re concerned.” I laughed as I began walking backwards, with Brax following me like a little puppy dog.

x-x

After messing around in the water for a bit, I ended up on Brax’s shoulders after Ruby suggesting we play a bit of a game, who can push who of whose shoulders

first, Brax was instantly up for it. “You better win.” He grinned up at me.

“Shut up and focus on your job.” I told him.

“That’s a little hard to do when you’ve got a hottie on your shoulders,” he smirked, causing me to hit him around the back of his head. “Ow, ow,” he winged, “Unfair

advantage.”

“If you stop misbehaving, I won’t do that.” I told him.

“Fine,” he sighed after admitting defeat.

I grinned as Ruby entwined her hands with mine, “Game on, kid.” I winked before we began trying to push each other off our partner’s shoulders.

I squealed as Ruby played dirty and tickled me, causing me to tumble back in the water, “Damn it!” Brax cried as he waited for me to resurface. I remained

underwater teasingly. “Charlie?” I heard him call slightly, “RUBY, WHAT THE HELL!” He yelled before diving underwater, “CHARLIE!” He cried before diving under the

water, he instantly had me in his arms and was swimming back to shore with me, I felt him pick me up and place me in the sand, just as I felt his shadow over me

I opened my eyes and burst out laughing before sitting up. “You scared me!” He sighed before collapsing onto the sand beside me,

“I’m sorry.” I laughed before resting my head on his chest as my fingers became laced with his.

x-x

“So...” I began as we walked in the front door of my place, “Ruby’s staying at Casey’s, Leah’s out, VJ’s out...” I smirked excitedly, wrapping my arms around Brax’s

waist as I began to kiss his neck.

“Mmm,” he mumbled before pulling away,

“What’s wrong?” I asked, backing away from him as I noticed the uneasy look on his face.

“No,” he laughed lightly taking a step closer to me, “It’s not that I don’t want to, because I really, really do, it’s just, I don’t think you’re ready.”

“Is this coming from the one who a few hours ago wanted to watch me change into my bikini?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. He sighed before giving me an

unimpressed look, he needn’t say it, I knew what he meant, both things were very different, and we had only been back together for a day, “Brax, I need you,” I

told him honestly before stepping closer, “And I need to feel close to you,” I added in a whisper before standing on my tip-toes and kissing his lips gently before

pulling away.

“Alright,” he smiled lightly before slipping his hand into my open hand, I grinned before biting my bottom lip as I led him into my bedroom.

x-x

Cute update,

The whole beach scene was just the cutest thing ever :wub:!! At first when he was so insistent that they go down to the beach I thought he might propose, but then we Ruby and Case got invited too I knew he wasn't. Ah well, all in good time hehe :wub:!!

More soon please :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to update this one, I guess I've just been priotizing the others, anyway, I've got quite a big idea planned for this one in several chapters time so I’m excited to get to that, hope you guys enjoy this one, and once again, sorry for the delay! Apologies if there are mistakes too!

Chapter 26.

-1 week later.-

Charlie grinned as she lay in Brax’s bed, watching him get dressed for work, “So, where did you say you were going tonight?” Brax asked as he sat on the end of the bed

to put his shoes on,

“Just to Angelo’s for a bit of a girl’s night with Bianca and Leah.” Charlie replied.

“Better not be flirting with any fellas, I’m sure your boyfriend wouldn’t be too pleased.”

“I’m sure he wouldn’t, he can be the quite protective one at times.” Charlie laughed seductively before crawling across the bed to where Brax sat before setting herself in his lap, wrapping her legs around his waist as she began buttoning up his black work-shirt, “Plus, I’m really only there as moral support for the other two.”

Brax laughed, “That’s right, you sit there looking sexy to reel them all in, then let Bianca and Leah eat them up like bait.”

“Brax.” Charlie laughed, slapping his chest lightly, before finishing buttoning up his shirt. Brax kissed her cheek,

“Thanking you,” he smiled, “So, I guess I’ll see you later then?”

“Mh-hm.” Charlie smiled before planting a soft kiss on his lips as she crawled back into the bed as Brax left for work.

x-x

Brax grinned as he looked through the packed crowd at Angelo’s to see Charlie, Bianca and Leah walking through the entrance, “Good evening ladies.” Brax grinned before

pulling Charlie into his arms.

“Hey baby,” Charlie smiled before pecking his lips.

“Oh give it a rest,” Bianca rolled her eyes, “We’re here to have fun, without men.”

“Well then you should’ve picked a restaurant my boyfriend doesn’t work in.” Charlie grinned cheekily before kissing Brax’s lips again.

“So, what’d you do after I left?” Brax asked as his hands clung onto Charlie’s waist.

“Well...” Charlie began as her arms hung around his neck, “I just went for a nice, warm shower, all naked, alone.” Charlie teased before kissing his lips lightly.

“You’re killing me.” Brax groaned uncomfortably as Charlie’s mouth moved towards his ear,

“I left you a present under your pillow.” Charlie grinned cheekily before kissing his cheek and leaning back,

“And what would that be?” Brax asked curiously.

“You’ll have to wait and see, won’t you?” Charlie grinned before kissing his lips as she walked over to where the girls were sitting.

x-x

Charlie had hardly managed to see Brax throughout the night, he had been busy with work and the restaurant was unusually packed, even though it was Friday night.

The girls looked up and frowned as John ran into Angelo’s with a fire extinguisher, “EVERYBODY GET OUT, GET OUT! THERE’S A FIRE DOWNSTAIRS IN THE SURF CLUB,

OUT!”

Before Charlie had a chance to get her head around things, she felt herself being pulled towards the exit and downstairs, into the pool of people who were already gathered

outside the Surf Club as the fire-fighters aimed to tame the flames.

“Oh my god.” Charlie stumbled backwards as she turned pale.

“What’s wrong?” Bianca asked as her and Leah took a step forward.

“Brax,” she whispered, “Brax!” She yelled as she frantically lunged forwards, looking around for Brax.

“CHARLIE!” She heard someone yell through the crowd, she turned to see Brax pushing past people in a desperate attempt to find her, “CHARLIE!” He yelled again.

“BRAX!” Charlie shouted as she ran towards him, relief flooded his face as Charlie ran towards him and jumped into his arms, “You scared me.” Charlie sighed with relief as

she rested her head against his chest.

“You scared me too.” Brax sighed before cupping Charlie’s cheeks as she gazed into his eyes, “I’m so glad you’re okay.” Brax smiled before softly kissing her forehead.

Charlie smiled as she looked up at him before kissing his lips, “I love you,” Brax mumbled into her kiss.

“I love you too.” Charlie replied before once again, burying her head in his chest as he held her closely.

The pair leaped apart when somebody screamed Charlie’s name, it was Bianca, they turned to see Hayley standing with a gun pointed at Ruby, Charlie froze, paralyzed

with fear. “Hayley, don’t.” Brax pleaded as he stepped forward, wanting to protect Ruby but he knew he couldn’t.

Charlie stumbled backwards into Brax’s arms as Hayley took a shot at Ruby, Casey lunged forward and caught her in her arms, “RUBY!” Charlie screamed before tearing

herself away from Brax’s grasp and towards Ruby, only to change her mind and tackle Hayley to the ground, “SHE’S MY DAUGHTER, MY DAUGHTER, HOW COULD YOU!”

Charlie shouted as she pushed Hayley further into the ground as she aggressively slapped her,

“Charlie...” Brax yelled as he ran over to her, “CHARLIE!” He shouted before picking her up, pulling her away from Hayley.

“She’s my baby,” Charlie cried into Brax’s chest, “She’s my baby girl.”

“I know Charlie.” Brax whispered, “I know, but right now, Ruby needs you okay, she needs you.” Brax placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s forehead as she pulled out of his

embrace, “Now you get in that ambulance, and you look after her, I’ll see you at the hospital, okay?” Charlie nodded before kissing his cheek and then climbing into the

ambulance to look after her daughter.

x-x

Brax and Casey rushed along the corridor to where Charlie was strolling along the corridor, “Charlie!” Casey called, “How is she?” Charlie sighed,

“I eh... I don’t know, she’s in surgery.” Casey nodded silently before sitting down, leaving Brax and Charlie standing, facing each other.

“Char-” Brax began.

“I wish it was me.” Charlie interrupted, her grief soon taking effect.

Brax shook his head, “No... no.”

“Yes, her life is worth so much more than mine.”

“No it isn’t Charlie, it isn’t.”

“She has everything to live for, her boyfriend, university, falling in love, kids, getting married, I've done all of that.”

“You’re not married.”

“Most of it then, but still, I’d give anything to swap places with her.”

“And what about me?”

“What about you?”

“I need you, if you died, I don’t know what I’d do, I-I wouldn’t cope.”

“I’m sure you’d manage, you’d just seek solace in some fling, eh?”

“That’s not fair.”

“No, I'll tell you what isn't fair, my 18 year old daughter in a hospital bed after being shot by one of your jealous ex's!” Charlie cried before stepping away from Brax, “I’m

gonna get some air.” Charlie told him before turning for the hospital exit.

x-x

Casey hadn’t moved from the space he sat in before, Charlie and Brax now sat opposite each other, neither saying anything to each other, neither making the first move.

They threw a few glances in the other’s direction but no words could physically be spoken.

Charlie tore her eyes away from Brax as she looked towards where her name was being called from, Sid. She leapt up and walked towards him, Casey and Brax hot on

her heels, “Sid, how is she?” Charlie immediately asked.

Sid smiled lightly, “She’s going to be just fine, Charlie, we’ve managed to stop the bleeding, we’ve given her a sedative to sleep, but she’ll need to remain in here another

day or two so we can keep a close eye on her.”

“Thank you Sid, thank you so much.” Charlie smiled before turning to face Brax and Casey, who also had smiles on their faces.

“Come on Case, let’s get you home, eh?” Brax asked his little brother.

Casey shook his head, “I’m not leaving her, no way.”

“Casey, you need to sleep, mate.”

“I’ll just get a coffee or something.”

“Nah, you stay, I’ll get them.” Brax sighed and shook his head before walking down the hall to the cafeteria.

x-x

Brax returned shortly to see Charlie sitting on her own outside Ruby’s hospital room, “Where’s Casey?” He asked, taking a seat beside her.

“He’s just gone in to see Ruby.” Charlie smiled lightly at Brax before looking away again.

“I got you these.” Brax smiled, handing Charlie her coffee and a chocolate bar.

“Thanks,” Charlie laughed as she took the items from his hands.

“How about I take you home, so you can get some sleep?”

“I don’t know.” Charlie frowned unsurely.

“C’mon Charlie, Casey’s staying here, Ruby’s fine, and if anything changes, he’ll call and let us know.”

“Okay,” Charlie nodded, “Thanks.” She smiled, Brax quickly let Casey know where they were going before leading Charlie out of the hospital.

x-x

“I better get off then.” Brax said quietly after he’d walked Charlie to her front door.

“Eh, wait.” Charlie said softly, “Could you stay with me?” Charlie asked hopefully as she looked up at him.

As much as he wanted to be there for her, Brax shook his head, “I’m sorry, I can’t.”

“I’m sorry about what I said at the hospital Brax, you know I am.”

“Don’t be sorry, it’s true I guess.”

“It’s not, and I’m sorry.” Charlie sighed, “I’d like to think I mean more to you than that.”

Brax sighed too, “You do, it’s just a shame you can’t see that.”

“Brax I can, I was angry and upset and frightened that my daughter wouldn’t live!”

“Well Charlie, I know how that feels, I was scared too, I love Ruby like she’s my own! So it's not far having a go at me to take away your pain or try and ease it, when I’m

just as cut up as you are!” Brax shouted.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t think.” Charlie trembled at his anger.

“Nah, you didn’t.” Brax shook his head before he turned on his heels and walked back towards his car, leaving a devastated and confused Charlie standing in the doorway,

watching him go.

x-x

-The next morning, hospital.-

Brax’s breath hitched in his throat as he walked out of Ruby’s hospital room, only to be met by Charlie coming in, “Hey.” Charlie sounded surprised, “What are you doing

here?” Charlie bit her lip after the words left her mouth, “Sorry.” She whispered.

“It’s alright.” Brax smiled lightly as he looked into her tired, blue eyes, “You don’t look like you got much sleep.”

“That’s because I didn’t.” Charlie sighed.

“Uh-huh, why’s that?” Brax asked, a slight etch of tease in his voice.

“I decided to watch movies.” Charlie replied smugly.

Brax shook his head, “You’re stubborn.”

“You’re a tease.” The pair smiled at each other, “I take it Ruby’s awake?” Charlie asked, nodding towards her hospital room.

“Yeah.” Brax laughed, “Ordering for me to bring her magazines or anything to entertain herself.”

“I’m one step ahead of you.” Charlie laughed, holding up the bag which she brought things in for Ruby.

“You best get in there and hand them over.” Brax laughed lightly.

Charlie laughed along, inside hurt that Brax seemed to want to get away from her, “Yeah.” Charlie plastered a smile on her face as she moved past Brax and walked into

Ruby’s room.

x-x

A while later, Casey had gone home to rest, leaving just Brax and Charlie in the room with Ruby.

“Guys, what’s going on?” Ruby asked, instantly picking up on the awkward atmosphere.

“Nothing.” They replied in unison.

Ruby laughed, “That definitely means something.”

“Rubes, just leave it.” Charlie snapped.

“Nuh, go on, tell her.” Brax prompted.

“Tell her what? How you can barely speak to me?” Charlie asked icily.

Brax scoffed, “It’s not like that.”

“I beg to differ. Last night, you couldn’t set foot in our house, earlier on you could barely have a five minute conversation with me!”

“Why’d this happen?” Ruby asked.

“You know your mom.” Brax spoke up, “Likes to push people away who care about her.” Brax told Ruby, looking directly at Charlie.

“Yeah, and you know Brax, always keen to blame others when he can’t see where his own faults lie.”

“Oh so what have I done now?” Brax snapped.

“This pettiness, it’s ridiculous, I was upset because my daughter could've died, and you standing around trying hug me and calm me down telling me she was gonna be

alright did not help, you know from experience, when heath was in hospital ages ago and I did that to you, you snapped at me and told me to leave, so don't expect an apology, 'cause you're not getting one.”

“Good.” Brax snapped back, “You’re not getting one either!”

“GOOD!” Charlie shouted before storming out of the hospital room.

Brax groaned loudly in frustration before looking at Ruby who was glaring at him, unimpressed, “SHE’S SO STUBBORN!” He yelled in frustration.

“But you love her.” Ruby told him.

“Nuh.”

“Yes.”

“Nuh.”

“Yes, Brax I know you do, it’s obvious.” Brax sighed as he sat down, his head firmly in his hands, “Don’t you dare sit down, get out there and get after her.” Ruby ordered.

Brax stood up quickly, knowing like mother like daughter, Ruby was equally as stubborn as Charlie and there was no way he’d win this, he left Ruby’s hospital room and

leaned against the closed door, looking down at Charlie sitting opposite the door, she looked up at him before looking back down, focusing on the water bottle in her hand.

Brax watched as Charlie looked up, a tall, dark-haired, tan handsome man walked past; he smiled down at Charlie, earning a warm smile back, Charlie’s eyes locked with

Brax’s after the man had passed, Brax laughed angrily before shaking his head, walking towards the cafeteria.

x-x

Charlie walked into the cafeteria after giving Brax time to cool off, he was sitting at a table alone, staring into his plastic coffee cup as he fingered the rim of the cup.

Charlie quietly walked towards him before sitting down opposite him, he didn’t look up to acknowledge her presence but he knew it was her, he knew the way she walked,

the way she sat, the smell of her perfume, everything. “You gonna drink that or what?” Charlie asked him, gaining no response she sighed as she leaned forward, placing her hands on the table. Brax looked at her hands before looking up at her,

“If you don’t wanna be with me, that’s fine, end it.” His anger forced the words out of his mouth, breaking up with Charlie again was not an option, and if it was going to

happen, it’d be here that’d have to do it, but once he cooled down, he knew he’d do anything and everything to get her back.

“Oh I’m seriously considering it, the way you’re behaving.”

“The way I’m behaving?” Brax asked, sounding alarmed, “Sorry, but who’s the one sending cute, cuddly smiles to guys she doesn’t even know when her boyfriend is

standing right opposite her?”

“Oh, don’t act like you don’t look or smile at other girls.” Charlie scoffed.

“Why would I when I’ve got one as beautiful as you?” Brax asked honestly, staring Charlie dead in the eye.

She evaded his glare as she looked down at her hands, trying to hide the pink glow that had spread across her cheeks. “You seem to have no problem sleeping with them

though.” Charlie spat back.

“I thought you’d left me.”

“Well you thought wrong.” Charlie spat before standing up and turning her back on him, she stopped when he called her,

“Charlie.” Brax took a minute before the words left his mouth, “You can’t improve on perfection, eh?”

Charlie’s heart fluttered, she knew what he was getting at, but her poker face remained as she turned to face him, “Nobody’s perfect.” Charlie replied icily, they held eye

contact for a while, both trying to decipher what each other's game is but neither of them letting the facade slip, Charlie finally managed to tear her gaze from his, turn her

back on him once again, and leave.

x-x

After his argument with Charlie, Brax had bid Ruby goodbye, despite her pleas to know what happened, she knew it wasn’t good seeing as they had come in separately to

say goodbye and they both looked as glum as each other.

Arriving home, Brax went straight into his room for bed, he stripped down to his boxers before crawling into his bed, groaning when he felt something under his pillow, he

thought back to what Charlie had said yesterday night at Angelo’s, ‘I left you a present under your pillow’. Brax groaned loudly as he looked down at the item in his hands,

Charlie’s lace purple knickers, he angrily flung them against the wall on the far side of his room before throwing his head against the cold pillow in an attempt to sleep.

x-x

Archived