Why has Home and Away changed so much?

Guest Light of the Bay

First of all, I know all shows need to evolve and change so the audience do not get bored but i just feel like since 2005 the producers and network heads have lost sight of the shows values and what it is really meant to be. I wonder why the shows creator Alan Bateman has not stepped in to tell the producers about what it was originally intended to be and try and get them to reverse some of the damage that has been done because Cameron Welsh has definitely lost sight of where to take the show and he has pretty much run his course as Series Producer as far as I'm concerned. I love Home and Away but I am sick of the River Boys dominating the show and the constant fighting and use of guns which is always involved in their storylines. Why do they have the once central chracters shoved to the side like Colleen and Irene and not forgetting Marilyn. The show has changed for the worse in my opinion and it is just screaming for new people to come in and make it like what it was 10-15 years ago.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree. Home and Away just seems to be catering purely for the newer viewers. It's like they don't care about the older viewers. We want the return to fostering, families and friendships. To me, that's what the show should be about.

Yeah its called Home and Away in the beginning the title meant fosters kids who had a foster home but were away from their family homes and it was it was called Home & Away. There have been no foster kids since Cassie and Ric

Aside from Romeo & Jai.....

Its changed so much cos everybody seems to like the RBs. I like the drama to some extent but sometimes enough is enough!

Its changed so much cos everybody seems to like the RBs. I like the drama to some extent but sometimes enough is enough!

I never did like the Riverboys. In fact they have increasingly put me off H&A and I've hardly watched the current show for months because of them. Cam Welsh seems to think they are the best thing since sliced bread though so I think we're stuck with them :(

Yeah its called Home and Away in the beginning the title meant fosters kids who had a foster home but were away from their family homes and it was it was called Home & Away. There have been no foster kids since Cassie and Ric

Aside from Romeo & Jai.....

Thing is, I do like the show to have high drama etc. It isn't the drama I have a problem with, though more light-hearted storylines would be more than welcome - its how they are written, the drama they are involved in - i.e lust, drugs, gangs, sex, betrayal, crime, sleazy direction and scripts - how the gang mentality and 'stickin with the bros' has totally dominated the show - for a start its unoriginal (i.e watch Underbelly and all the other copy cat police dramas on commercial TV) but more than anything, it isn't Home and Away.

Well given that Blue Heelers and All Saints get into the drama side in their later years even Blind Freddy could work out why they were axed when they started Blue Heelers was about them policing people and All Saints was about people in a hospital but then it started getting like Home & Away getting into the characters lifes. Home and Away got more drama much like an American soap ie Passions or Bold and the Beautiful and BH and AS became like Home & Away.

I agree there is far too much crime in it. I've just got used to it. Those sorts of storylines used to be shocking. But now, even though I still enjoy them, they just don't seem as exciting because crime is becoming common place on Home and Away. It would be nice for Summer Bay house to get back back to it's fostering/family roots. It's just Marilyn, Alf and Roo sharing at the moment. Cameron Walsh mentioned in an article in 2009 that they were having a Summer bay house replica built. He said building would begin at the start at 2010. Has any one heard any more about that?

Cameron Walsh mentioned in an article in 2009 that they were having a Summer bay house replica built. He said building would begin at the start at 2010. Has any one heard any more about that?

As much as it should be - I just don't think they see it as a priority. Imo it should be right up there as things to get done immediately, surely it cant take literally years to find a suitable location to build a replica Summer Bay House and Caravan Park?

I often think that if they hadn't decided to get rid of (and by not rebuilding SBH and Park they've done that in a sense) so many 'iconic' outdoor locations that created Summer Bay all throughout the 80's and 90's up to early 00's - the show would feel much more like Home and Away regardless of the writing. Obviously it should go without saying that its down to the writing first and foremost, but I think the producers underestimate just how integral recurring locations are/were in creating the world of Summer Bay - such as the original diner, the original Beach House, the Nash house (Leah's place), Stewarts Point, but most prominently Summer Bay House and the Caravan Park.

Cameron Walsh mentioned in an article in 2009 that they were having a Summer bay house replica built. He said building would begin at the start at 2010. Has any one heard any more about that?

As much as it should be - I just don't think they see it as a priority. Imo it should be right up there as things to get done immediately, surely it cant take literally years to find a suitable location to build a replica Summer Bay House and Caravan Park?

I often think that if they hadn't decided to get rid of (and by not rebuilding SBH and Park they've done that in a sense) so many 'iconic' outdoor locations that created Summer Bay all throughout the 80's and 90's up to early 00's - the show would feel much more like Home and Away regardless of the writing. Obviously it should go without saying that its down to the writing first and foremost, but I think the producers underestimate just how integral recurring locations are/were in creating the world of Summer Bay - such as the original diner, the original Beach House, the Nash house (Leah's place), Stewarts Point, but most prominently Summer Bay House and the Caravan Park.

I agree - I think Summer Bay has gotten far too big - I know there have been developments over the years, the Sands and the current one planned etc, but they Summer Bay no longer seems like a small coastal town people pass through on their way somewhere. They've even established that it's on a peninsula now from all the establishing shots, so there would be no reason to anyone to pass through like they used to.

The farm doesn't help - it's supposed to be about half an hour away, I think, inland at that - they seemed to be taking the brunt of the storm in the farm house, yet Summer Bay House which is one of the closest to the beach barely seemed to be touched. The residents seem to be able to get to town in seconds too. The storm was big budget yes, but did they spend the storylining budget on it as well? Harvey & Roo were lost at sea, found within about 10 minutes whilst John had a heart attack and was in hospital in about the same time. There was no suspense - the Beach House (which implies it is by the sea) and Summer Bay House (which is near to the beach - people used to cut through the caravan park) barely seemed touched and weren't really involved. Have you noticed how little we've seen SBH of late (UK)? It used to be in almost every episode.

With the River Boys - I liked them when they first arrived and I felt the show had gone back to how it was a little, but I was waiting for them to leave like all the bad eggs used to, but they haven't. It's a shame because I like them, but I don't like the direction they're taking the show in. I'd have had Brax reform completely as he started to, continue Casey as the good kid and just have Heath who would stir-up trouble - no gangs and guns, just some dodgy dealings or thefts, even if he was only recurring.

Archived