Why has Home and Away changed so much?

Guest Light of the Bay

I find it odd to see Hollyoaks cited as an example

IA, I don't watch that show, but from the little I've seen, it doesn't seem to be heavily character driven. I guess it's very similar to Home and Away actually. Just that H&A is more middle-class than Hollyoaks, both of them seem to feature a very actrive cast which seems to be at the top of their priorities.

I don't watch Hollyoaks, but I used to catch it occasionally last year when my housemate watched it, and isn't as bad as I was expecting. If you do get a chance to watch it, it is surprisingly character led, and the characters all have very different personalities as well. Some of the storylines are a little off-putting however, and it isn't unfair to say some of the actors are there for one reason - not their acting talent!

The problem with Home and Away is that it, IMO, latches into one thing at a time to keep it going, but those things always seem to have a shelf life. Bay of Love, 2009 mystery, River Boys, all the melodrama, it latches onto one thing which will only sustain it in the long-term. What will they do when the actors who play the River Boys decide to leave? What will they latch onto to give it that short-term injection of life then?!
That's a good point, but I have a feeling this is a business model to show to the Network 7 bosses that they [the producers] aren't letting the show fall into a rut. So as soon as the 'ooh sparkly' brigade [Pierced Musie :lol: ] lose interest, which they will soon enough you can be sure there'll be a new focus, whatever that might be :unsure: .

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you please stop making out that all fans of the river boys are shallow. Though I agree with many that the whole crime thing has gone too far I still think the idea of the river boys has been good... and it isn't because they are good looking. We are not all shallow :P

I didn't mean for my post to come across as ALL Charlie and Brax and River Boys are shallow. It's just when there's comment after comment on YouTube such as "I love Brax he is soooo fit" and when the show is milking them for all they're worth and how they're forcing them over and over again down our throats, (as if all they care about is pleasing the "Chax" fans and completely ignoring the long term fans), that's when I find it so disheartening.

If people want a definition of a supercouple in the show, then they should look no further than Shane and Angel. You only need to compare how Shane and Angel have been written to how Charlie and Brax have been written. Shane and Angel were superbly and maturely written, they always stayed in character and never lost their morals and principles just so they could get back together for the umpteenth time, and they didn't dominate the whole show. Charlie and Brax have been the complete opposite to all these things.

I think Home & Away has always had the same small town feeling and when past characters return - and moreso when the Fletcher kids return - they really feel like they're coming home to a town they spent a large part of their life in. Whereas if someone returns to Neighbours it doesn't have the same return-home feeling.

• 4 weeks later...

hm i love home and away more and more and through and through. and i realy love the river boys. that every soap/series or whatever has to change is right and i think the 2011 was waaaaaay better than the 2010 season. 2010 was awesome too, but 2011 had a new direction and i think, it works. but maybe just for me.

i love home and away since 2000 ( ive seen now the first 550 episodes) and can't say it is going to be bad. neighbours is way more bad than H&A ^^

I stopped watching some time ago, shortly into the 2009 season. Even in the Dan Bennett era, I'd be downloading like crazy in 2005 and 2006 from here to watch at Aussie pace (remember at the time the UK was still six months behind) although the barn explosion and subsequent helicopter crash was the beginning of the end for me. That's when it started getting to the point I didn't mind if I missed the odd episode here and there.

2008's season return up to Sally's exit was where I got hooked again with the "20th birthday" material but that was more because like the period between the Olympics and the end of 2004 (both of which Bevan Lee was behind) it had an "Early Years" vibe. During most of the Dan Bennett era and the post-Bevan Lee 20th birthday era though, it's been like a bloody cop drama.

If they want a big high-drama event they need to take a lesson from the Brits. We need something on the level of Emmerdale's plane crash - maybe even bring it bang up to date and have an Al-Qaeda type group blow a Qantas A380 up over the Bay - but with human storylines that continue to ripple on and on and on (in Emmerdale, Chris Tate was hurt in the crash and then spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair - after becoming more progressively bitter, twisted and cynical as time went on, he finally ended up committing suicide ten years later, framing his prostitute-turned-partner in the process.) That's what H&A needs. Now.

If they want a big high-drama event they need to take a lesson from the Brits. We need something on the level of Emmerdale's plane crash - maybe even bring it bang up to date and have an Al-Qaeda type group blow a Qantas A380 up over the Bay - but with human storylines that continue to ripple on and on and on (in Emmerdale, Chris Tate was hurt in the crash and then spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair - after becoming more progressively bitter, twisted and cynical as time went on, he finally ended up committing suicide ten years later, framing his prostitute-turned-partner in the process.) That's what H&A needs. Now.

:lol: What an amazing paragraph. I hope you are joking!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived