1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

I remember when I started school the cane was talked of as something they used years ago, when our parents were little.So it was a bit of a shock to see them using it on Grange Hill in the early '80s and even more of a shock to learn it wasn't actually banned in British state schools until 1987, long after I started school!(I do wonder if it falls under the "technically it's allowed but never is" category, in the same way the UK technically had the death penalty until 1998 even though the last execution was 1964.)

Cathy Hargreaves?

If we were to go into a social discussion, the way I see some youngsters behave these days, there complete disregard for authority, their poor attitudes, I'd question whether or not the banning of corporal punishment has been right or whether a bit of pain for disobedience is what they needed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Ryan. Episode 638 appears to me to be a landmark episode in the long sad decline away from some of the old ways of doing things that were good but now abolished and forgotten about, and politicians etc. turn a deaf ear when calls for effective discipline to be brought back, while police at the front line have to suffer abuse from drunken rowdy behaviour on the streets, and kids let loose on the streets thumbing their noses at the law because they think they can get away with anything.

I really have to ask, was the writer/director of that episode pushing some sort of "progressive" agenda??

I remember when I started school the cane was talked of as something they used years ago, when our parents were little.So it was a bit of a shock to see them using it on Grange Hill in the early '80s and even more of a shock to learn it wasn't actually banned in British state schools until 1987, long after I started school!(I do wonder if it falls under the "technically it's allowed but never is" category, in the same way the UK technically had the death penalty until 1998 even though the last execution was 1964.)

Cathy Hargreaves?

If we were to go into a social discussion, the way I see some youngsters behave these days, there complete disregard for authority, their poor attitudes, I'd question whether or not the banning of corporal punishment has been right or whether a bit of pain for disobedience is what they needed.

Yep, that was the one.Tucker, Benny and Pogo all got caned offscreen in the early years as well.(Pogo in the very next episode, which suggested either poor continuity or sexism on Mrs.McClusky's part.)

I can't really say I'm in favour of a return to corporal punishment though.You might as well bring back the rack as well.Perhaps rules are a bit too much in favour of the students with regards the restrictions teachers have on how they can punish them.But I doubt anyone involved in writing that episode was expecting a Gene Hunt-style "That Alan Stone's a top bloke, he'd sort out the little squirts we've got these days" reaction when they wrote it, more likely that he's a cowardly bully who uses his position of power to make children feel small.

Ben needs to mind his own business and let Steven make his own mistakes. When did Ben get so nosey? Ben just because you married to Carly dosent mean you can tell her little foster brother what to do.

I really don't like Alan Stone giving Blake the cane how mean! Fisher should of fired him on the spot I really hope he doesnt stay around much longer.

Sophie, Blake and Karen have bitten off more than they can chew with this lamington drive. Can't they think of an easier way to raise the money for Blake and Karen like washing cars maybe?

It's interesting how I genuinely want to tune in to find out how they resolve Friday's cliffhanger 'It's going to take 30 hours to bake 59 lamington's - how are we going to cope?!'. Such an innocent climax to an episode, but the way the show is actually written and how the characters interact with each other, it's addictive and pure escapism. I don't get that feeling from the current show whatsoever, so that just reiterates to me that there is something greatly missing from 2012 H&A.

Carly being Carly is always interesting to watch - she's a very consistent character. I also always enjoy watching her and Bobby irritate each other.

Sophie, Blake and Karen are a great gang. It's strange how I'm still getting used to seeing Debra's Pippa in these episodes, despite knowing her as Pippa for such a long time. Overall, I can't say that I think any characters or storylines are weak at the moment.

Ben needs to mind his own business and let Steven make his own mistakes. When did Ben get so nosey? Ben just because you married to Carly dosent mean you can tell her little foster brother what to do.

I agree. It's like he's taken it upon himself to become the father figure.

Don't the caravans at the caravan park have locks on the doors? It seems like someone is always bursting in to wreck them or steal something. Or are we supposed to assume that Steven took the spare key to break into Stone's van?

And why didn't Jennifa lock her door? That animal was able to walk into her house easily. After he knocked and called out her name, he just opened the door, it could have been anyone. Do the good folk of Summer Bay know how to lock a door???

Archived