1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

I can understand why Jeff feels like she is leading him on after that kiss, but then she told him so many times that she was only interested in him as a friend and he continued to pursue it until (this is how I've seen it) she felt pressured into giving it a go with him, even though she made it clear that she didn't really want to. He knew that and now he's getting angry at her for not dedicating herself to him as a 'lover' as he called it. Kissing him was the mistake on her part though I agree and now she should just tell him plain and simple, she isn't interested, not tell him 'I don't know'.

Edit: Just watched Monday's. I think she's making a mistake. You shouldn't go into a relationship the way she is with Jeff, its obvious, she only likes him as a mate, why bother 'trying' to make a relationship work, it shouldn't be a matter of trying, it should just be coming naturally. I reckon they should have just remained friends and then see how they feel a month or two down the track.

Interesting twist at the end of the episode, I wonder what will happen...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I can tell a girl is a hottie immediately at first sight, I can't entirely agree with what Carly said about "loving" someone as soon as you meet them, and deciding almost immediately he/she's the one for you for the rest of your life (like in her own case where her decision to marry Ben was ridiculously rushed).

Like Bobby said though... there aren't any fireworks either. I think Bobby just wants to be in a relationship again and is settling for Jeff because he has shown an interest in her and she does like him as a friend and can't find any faults with him. He is a nice guy, I just don't think they are suited as a couple.

Bobby is clearly thinking with her head, not her heart. She obviously feels pressured by everybody by having a relationship with a man she will never love.

Stone is one evil man and I'm really enjoying this storyline however I was shocked to see him bring in the cane. The man really does live in the past!

I remember when I started school the cane was talked of as something they used years ago, when our parents were little.So it was a bit of a shock to see them using it on Grange Hill in the early '80s and even more of a shock to learn it wasn't actually banned in British state schools until 1987, long after I started school!(I do wonder if it falls under the "technically it's allowed but never is" category, in the same way the UK technically had the death penalty until 1998 even though the last execution was 1964.)

Poor Blake. I also think he's being singled out for special treatment and when that cane went down, I jumped.

I wish that Alf had a real go at Stone but Stone is good at talking his way out of trouble. I was expecting Alf to walk in, yelling abuse at him but it never happened.

And how did Stone become acting principal after only three weeks?? Why not Grant? Stupid plot device so that they have an excuse to use the cane. Couldn't Stone just be an ordinary teacher and use the cane anyway?

I think it was established as soon as he appeared that Stone is deputy principal, it's not unusual for someone who's new to the school to be appointed to a senior position if they're experienced enough.I assume Grant's relatively junior in the staff hierarchy although since there only seems to be three teachers working there it's hard to tell.

Archived