Joey Collins - Kate Bell

alias

I just have to say that my cousin works on a prawn boat, not in Australia, but still.....anyway, they'd never let a woman on a boat like that. Fishermen consider it bad luck to have a woman on a boat, so it's all a bit rediculous that she's there in the first place.

That said she seems a likable enough character and I'm interested to see where they're going with it all.

I don't think in this day and age you can be rejected for a job on a trawler due to "bad luck."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Joey to be a really genuine sort of girl. I don't know, there's just something about her... I really liked her scene with Nicole in the Surf Club tonight. I thought their interaction was great. I wish I could come up with something more in depth, but I can't :P. I just like her. She went from being compeltely depressed and alone, to finally smiling and sticking up for Nicole which I really enjoyed.

She's in a horrible situation too, with Robbo, so she's obviouosly very disturbed by it. We also got a bit of an insight into her family tonight, which was interesting. Looks like her brother is pretty clueless to everything. I wonder how he will react when he finds out? :unsure:

I love Joey :wub: The actress playing her is brilliant. She seems to hit every emotion just right - a little bit more hysterical than I'd normally like, but she does it with such a palpable sense of self-defense and paranoia that it rings completely true. Plus she's the glue that holds Aden and Charlie together, and that's just loverly :)

I have warmed to the character with each episode she is in. The actress isn't your typical H&A youngster and that makes her unique and she can act well. I'm looking forward to seeing how the character unfolds and hope she stays on.

P.S Just seen the FHM pictures of Kate Bell. Hoping to use one as an icon :wub: !

I'm loving Joey more and more. She's just such a down to earth realistic character that you'd want to be friends with.

I think that Kate Bell is doing a fantastic job and hopefully the big bosses at Home and Away will notice that and upgrade her status to full time like they did with Celeste.

Although I do wish we could have saw more of a build up to it. It did feel like Aden's sudden need to help and protect her came out of nowhere.

I think that was probably more of a reaction to what he's experienced himself - although I've never been in such a position, I would imagine that had you been a victim of abuse it would be the case that your impulse to help other victims would be stronger, despite not necesarily knowing them all that well.

As for Joey, it took me a little bit of time to warm up to her. I initially just couldn't comprehend that the life long dream of an year old girl was to owna fleet of prawn trawlers. But she's one of those characters that's made an impression on me slowly, and then grabbed me without realising how much affection I had developed. The scene that really did it for me was

telling Brett about her sexuality

- Kate Bell played that fantastically, really conveying the emotional impact of what was happening on top of everything else, whilst also keeping the strength that Joey has displayed - she got just the right balance. Her interactions with Leah and VJ have further consolidated my liking of her and I hope she sticks around for the forseeable future, I'm very interested to see how she develops as a character.

Although I do wish we could have saw more of a build up to it. It did feel like Aden's sudden need to help and protect her came out of nowhere.

I think that was probably more of a reaction to what he's experienced himself - although I've never been in such a position, I would imagine that had you been a victim of abuse it would be the case that your impulse to help other victims would be stronger, despite not necesarily knowing them all that well.

Yeah, his reaction to her being raped is very realistic. And I like how that is playing out. I was reffering more to the way he was with her from the moment they started interacting. Aden already seemed to get immediately involved from the word go and before we saw any proof that Robbo was anything more then just a sexist pig. I just felt it would have been better if we saw some build up to it. Maybe have Aden and Joey have a few scenes together first and get to know each other. And then have him slowly notice Robbo's behaviour.