Joey Collins - Kate Bell

alias

^ Ahh I see what you mean now Jody, and I can understand where you're coming from.

Alf needs to give her a job on his boat and she needs to stay in Summer Bay forever and ever.

That's a good point actually - not since Scott and Kane have we had anyone working on the Blaxland (I think?), that would be an excellent way of settling her into the community and would fulfil what is obviously a lifelong dream of the character - though that might be too much of a happy ending considering all the bad stuff they're piling onto her at the moment! :P

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have to pop my head in here really quickly to mention that I love Joey! I think she's very refreshing for a female character, much like Charlie, Ruby and Jazz were when they arrived. Also I love how they have managed to pick up Aden's past for a good storyline again, through Joey. He was really getting boring up until Joey came and the writers proved that they haven't forgotten about his past either. I'm really looking forward to seeing more storylines for Joey, I think she's a believable character, and I hope she'll stay in the Bay for a while :)

Is anyone else a bit disappointed with the portrayel of Joey's rape on the show?

The actual rape itself seems to have had little emotional effect on Joey, and has been largely forgotten while she has now moved on to dealing with her sexuality and coming out, and all the difficulties that that entails. I'm no expert, but presumably after going through such an ordeal the emotional scars would be huge. Surely even basic interaction with people afterwards (especially males) would be extremely difficult.

Instead, we have seen Joey asking Nicole out on a date (majorly unrealistic after going through such a trauma IMO), and a lot of her scenes have been near the docks/boat where the actual rape took place. Would she not be avoiding that as much as possible?

Maybe I'm being too quick with this post, and perhaps we have yet to see the effects of the attack on Joey emerge. I hope we get to see a confession from Aden about his past to Joey (but thats just me as a huge Aden fan), but it still doesn't dispel the fact that I think the aftermath of the rape has been a little bit of a let-down.

Edited by doola

The actual rape itself seems to have had little emotional effect on Joey, and has been largely forgotten while she has now moved on to dealing with her sexuality and coming out, and all the difficulties that that entails. I'm no expert, but presumably after going through such an ordeal the emotional scars would be huge. Surely even basic interaction with people afterwards (especially males) would be extremely difficult.
Um, not really. Of course, different people will react and deal with such an experience differently and keep in mind that we never saw Joey directly after the rape, it's entirely possible that she did avoid people for a few days, however do you really think that people who have been raped are that incapable of interacting with people afterwards? In high school, my friend was raped and nobody knew because she never acted any differently than normal. We were shocked when she confessed about it to us a week later. And after the rape she had no problem with males, she actually turned into quite the slut and ended up getting pregnant three times in one year. It totally effed up her life and, fyi, she never reported it.

We've already seen that Joey is extremely strong. She took all the abuse that Robbo was dishing out to her on the trawler and never let it get to her because she wasn't going to let herself be scared out of her job by him. She still has her moments of weakness (see: her breakdown in the storeroom) but I see her taking the same approach towards the rape as she did towards Robbo's behaviour on the boat, she's doing her best not to let it affect her.

Instead, we have seen Joey asking Nicole out on a date (majorly unrealistic after going through such a trauma IMO), and a lot of her scenes have been near the docks/boat where the actual rape took place. Would she not be avoiding that as much as possible?
She's a lesbian that was raped by a man, I saw her asking Nicole out as her asserting herself in her sexuality, rather than her actually having any interest in dating Nicole. It was a way to assure herself that just because she's had (forced) sex with a man, it doesn't make her any less gay.

^ Thanks for the reply. As I said, I'm no expert, so all my comments are just based on what I've read in newspapers and such, and for the most part, victims seem to talk of isolation, mistrust of people and even fear of leaving their house after the event.

But as you said, different people have different experiences.

I still think that going on a date with someone (anyone) would be the last thing on your mind a couple of weeks after being raped.

Um, not really. Of course, different people will react and deal with such an experience differently and keep in mind that we never saw Joey directly after the rape, it's entirely possible that she did avoid people for a few days, however do you really think that people who have been raped are that incapable of interacting with people afterwards? In high school, my friend was raped and nobody knew because she never acted any differently than normal. We were shocked when she confessed about it to us a week later. And after the rape she had no problem with males, she actually turned into quite the slut and ended up getting pregnant three times in one year. It totally effed up her life and, fyi, she never reported it.

We've already seen that Joey is extremely strong. She took all the abuse that Robbo was dishing out to her on the trawler and never let it get to her because she wasn't going to let herself be scared out of her job by him. She still has her moments of weakness (see: her breakdown in the storeroom) but I see her taking the same approach towards the rape as she did towards Robbo's behaviour on the boat, she's doing her best not to let it affect her.

She's a lesbian that was raped by a man, I saw her asking Nicole out as her asserting herself in her sexuality, rather than her actually having any interest in dating Nicole. It was a way to assure herself that just because she's had (forced) sex with a man, it doesn't make her any less gay.

That's exactly the same thing as happened to my friend. She was date raped and never reported it, she seemed fine and completely the same as always other than the fact that she started to sleep around much more than she ever had before. I'm sure it did have a deep effect on her but it wasn't the one that I would have expected. I think in these situations, people always react differently.

However, I do agree with you doola that we haven't had that much of a follow up of the rape, she hasn't had any screen time alone (that I can remember) to see what her reaction has been and how she is dealing with it. I hope they don't delve straight into

the gay storyline

and they do explore a bit more of the rape. And I'd love to see a scene with her and Aden when he comes clean about his past. I think it would be really touching. Although I think, if they were going to do that, it would have come when Aden was trying to persuade her to go to the cops. So they might ignore it. But either way, I'm looking forward to see what's coming next.

And I really like Joey as a character, she's a lot different to anyone we've seen for a while and that's always refreshing to see.

Me three, I think I'm starting to like Joey more than Charlie because she's just so freaking lovable. I'm really looking forward to seeing her again this week because we haven't seen her since last Wednesday! I'd also like her to see her have a heart to heart talk with Aden sometime this week, that needs to happen.