Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

But that recap music wasn't really a classic piece of music, it was just a stand alone recap tune...

Since 2000 the recap tune has been based on the theme tune, the chord sequence is taken from it. It's been through several incarnations over the years but it was still there, up until now :( . This is the first time they've deviated from it.

I think the current melody over the title card is better because its actually part of the original theme tune.

The melody used over the title card

was the

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that recap music wasn't really a classic piece of music, it was just a stand alone recap tune...

Since 2000 the recap tune has been based on the theme tune, the chord sequence is taken from it. It's been through several incarnations over the years but it was still there, up until now :( . This is the first time they've deviated from it.

I think the current melody over the title card is better because its actually part of the original theme tune.

The melody used over the title card

was the

Ahh, so it is! :) I do still prefer the 'closer each day, H&A' melody as it is now though - because it is more recognisable than the opening chord sequence. I'm saying that because I know that its a safe bet to suggest the theme tune is never ever going to return so it's better than nothing.

Yeah that's true about the recap tune. They could have done the exactly the same rhythm/arrangement they have now (if they really wanted to) but kept the theme tune chord sequence. I really liked the recap theme the best during 2008. They also came up with a cracking 'Next Time' underscore in 2008. You can here it from 10.08 here

Ahh, so it is! :) I do still prefer the 'closer each day, H&A' melody as it is now though - because it is more recognisable than the opening chord sequence. I'm saying that because I know that its a safe bet to suggest the theme tune is never ever going to return so it's better than nothing.

That's a good point, it's a real shame. I hardly believe that a full 50second opening once a week would see viewing figures decline dramatically. So I don't see why they can't return the opening credits, but perhaps it's more the effort required. Ah if only I was in charge :P .

Yeah that's true about the recap tune. They could have done the exactly the same rhythm/arrangement they have now (if they really wanted to) but kept the theme tune chord sequence. I really liked the recap theme the best during 2008.

I agree, other than the 2010 version, 2007-8 is the best in my opinion. 2009 had a really rough guitar-y sound to it, and they seem to have gone back to it now. I guess subconsciously that sort of sound gets viewers more riled up before the show starts.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I've never understood about getting rid of credits is that it seems to remove an opportunity to get people watching your show (again). Some TV shows have non-descript credits, but BH 90210, Cheers, Birds of a Feather etc have been off air for decades, but are yet instantly recognisable and form part of your memories.. The start of H&A can just easily pass you by.

Thanks for the link alexx, very interesting. From the sounds of it Joseph de la Hoyde was asked to compose a selection of tracks for possible use. The first part of the video looks like he was composing music for a true return of the theme tune, to which vocals would later be added.

The second half of the video (1:23 onwards) looks like ideas for the 'closer each day, Home and Away' tune for use in the current 6-second format over the title card, as opposed to a return of the theme tune. I would guess that the variation not included in this video was the version that has been used since 5546, which indicates that the opening sequence is not returning.

It has made me appreciate the new tune though, as previously I could only hear the 'closer each day', but now I can detect the 'Home and Away' section which is towards the end of the title card. I still prefer the old version though :whistling: .

EDIT: It could also be a sign that they are considering re-recording the closing tune for use in non-Australian markets.

More opening changes, just before the recap starts the camera now pans over over the coastline and Home and Away logo beside the beach, instead of being surrounded by boats

It's not new, they've just reverted to the original bumper shot they used from the beginning of 2011 (albeit with the colour tweaked slightly).

Archived