Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

Has any character disappeared on a soap for any length of time, like Madeline McCann type cases? They always seem to turn up in an episode. Perhaps Ailsa could mysteriously have gone missing and then after a year they could relook at the situation. She turns up, confused, dazed etc or maybe Alf starts receiving her body parts through the post.

Amanda from S&D went missing for months, when the actress chose to leave to work on other projects. Viewers last saw her being 'kidnapped', after overhearing some information she shouldn't have, and her fate wasn't revealed until the following year. It was revealed she had been forced into prostitution and died over a drug overdose days before her mother managed to track down where she had been living. (In reality, I think the actress informed producers she wasn't returning, so the storyline was wrapped up, although not in a very credible way.

In the early years of Brookside, Petra Taylor (who was suffering from depression) went out to the supermarket one day and didn't return. After some false leads, police informed her family six months later she had committed suicide in a Llandudno hotel.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic...

I wonder whether the current recap music and bumper style will make it into the new year? They usually only make changes at the beginning of each season, so perhaps this style will continue through-2013?

Seeing as next year marks the 25th anniversary though, it would be nice to see a new, more traditional recap tune/6-second bumper debut.

Back on topic...

I wonder whether the current recap music and bumper style will make it into the new year? They usually only make changes at the beginning of each season, so perhaps this style will continue through-2013?

Seeing as next year marks the 25th anniversary though, it would be nice to see a new, more traditional recap tune/6-second bumper debut.

i thought they might have added the recap and bumper as a taster for a new opening next year hopefully

^ I hope not in a way. If they're introducing a new opening sequence and theme tune with the musical style of the new recap tune, it will be a mess (IMHO).

I would like the aerial view start. What they should do is keep that sort of sunny weather kind of opening shots of the cast on the beach, aerial views of the bay with a happy theme kinda like the 2004 to 2006 but abit slower and more harmonies.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone think there'll be any changes to the current opening for 2013? The title card and recap music changed mid-year in 2012 for the first time I can remember, so I wonder whether the current style will continue through 2013?

I hope not as I'm bored of the current style, and I think the new recap music is rubbish :lol: !

I like the current title card and recap. The 'Closer each day, Home and Away' melody with the shot zooming down from the lighthouse. I can't say I'm a fan of the logo 'floating' on the water though.

I think they should half the 'reminder', we don't need such a long recap of whats happened and increase the credits. If they only want to keep them at 15 seconds long, at least its better than nothing. I'd be fine with group shots, without text (which defeats the purpose but 15 seconds is too short to include text) - all beach shots of Summer Bay having a BBQ/beach party. Like this: (Play from '15 seconds in'):

I'd be ok with the music arrangement staying how it is, with 'Hold me in Your Arms don't let me go - Close Each Day Home and Away'.

I think they should half the 'reminder', we don't need such a long recap of whats happened and increase the credits. If they only want to keep them at 15 seconds long, at least its better than nothing.

I agree, the recaps are always so long, usually over a minute. If they can't spare a minute for opening titles, the alternative shouldn't be to spend quite so long recapping previous events. The argument they always use for deleting the title sequence is to save time and squeeze in as much drama as possible, which is clearly a load of nonsense.

But I have to say I don't want the credits to come back if they're only going to be 30seconds or less in length. I maintain that a 50minute sequence once a week would work very well.

I think they should half the 'reminder', we don't need such a long recap of whats happened and increase the credits. If they only want to keep them at 15 seconds long, at least its better than nothing.

The argument they always use for deleting the title sequence is to save time and squeeze in as much drama as possible, which is clearly a load of nonsense.

Yup, Lucy Addario talks a load of *******! The opening credits were such an inconic part of the show and made H&A what it was. It's had an identity crisis since 2005.

Archived