Opening Credits / Opening Theme Discussion

Dean

I think its a case of TPTB trying to copy copy copy and not have any balls to be original and see it as an opportunity to stand out and create a solid brand for the show. They think by copying some American dramas (like LOST) that do not include an opening sequence, they are being modern and 'contemporary' - I HATE that word becuase it always equates to 'strip the show of its personality and niche'.

Having said that, I dont think the show desperately needs a 60 second opening sequence every day. A 50/60 second version once per week (as suggested every Monday to kick start the week) and then a shorter bumper the rest of the week I'd settle for and it is surely a fair compromise?

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a case of TPTB trying to copy copy copy and not have any balls to be original and see it as an opportunity to stand out and create a solid brand for the show. They think by copying some American dramas (like LOST) that do not include an opening sequence, they are being modern and 'contemporary' - I HATE that word becuase it always equates to 'strip the show of its personality and niche'.

Having said that, I dont think the show desperately needs a 60 second opening sequence every day. A 50/60 second version once per week (as suggested every Monday to kick start the week) and then a shorter bumper the rest of the week I'd settle for and it is surely a fair compromise?

I totally agree! Thinking about the thing of having a full title sequence once a week, you make a good point - I was looking at it the way someone said of having it on Monday but then non through the week but they could do a full one on Monday then a shorter one (rather than none) through the week as you say. I just think it sad that they seem to not want to give the show any real brand identity anymore.

The only problem IO could see wuth having two lots of credits like that is the temptation to end up like we did back in the days of the dreaded picture frames with some random episodes having a theme then others having none. Theyd start off with good intentions but we know what theyre like lol

I dont understand why 'moving forward' means having no theme??

It does for me as I record all episodes and fast forward through theme/recap (unless I really can't remember what's happened previously)/adverts/Elijah etc. People will be doing this more and more going forward as well so it makes sense to focus more on a recap or something that people might actually watch rather than a minute of an unnecessary theme tune.

It does for me as I record all episodes and fast forward through theme/recap (unless I really can't remember what's happened previously)/adverts/Elijah etc. People will be doing this more and more going forward as well so it makes sense to focus more on a recap or something that people might actually watch rather than a minute of an unnecessary theme tune.

Hmm I dont think that would be a god enough reason not to have a theme though - all shows would have no theme if they thought that way. Far from being unnecessary, it is to a big degree what gives the show an identity..a way of finding out who is and isnt in the show.. who may be moe than just a guest artist etc.. and an enjoyable way of entering into the episode.. its impossible to tell now a days whos in, out, returning. And it seems the vast m,ajority of long term viewers would welcome back a decent theme with open arms. Personally i'd rather have the theme than endless recaps and promo's (although they come at the end of course). I dont think fastforwarding through the theme is alot of hassle really, in this day and age it would take about a second or two, even ten years ago, 20 years ago was hardly a time consuming activity! People have taped/recorded shows for years and have had no problem having the theme, I have more issue with the ads to be honest. It might depend on what era youre used to - very new fans wouldnt know any different, but of course long trm viewers remember well the good old days.

I totally agree! Thinking about the thing of having a full title sequence once a week, you make a good point - I was looking at it the way someone said of having it on Monday but then non through the week but they could do a full one on Monday then a shorter one (rather than none) through the week as you say. I just think it sad that they seem to not want to give the show any real brand identity anymore.

OK well thanks, even though i'm sure you aren't thanking me for my own idea.

The only problem IO could see wuth having two lots of credits like that is the temptation to end up like we did back in the days of the dreaded picture frames with some random episodes having a theme then others having none. Theyd start off with good intentions but we know what theyre like lol

i hated that period 2007/8 when you would get weeks and weeks with nothing, and then a week with the titles shown every day, so let's have a little bit of consistency with one full set every Monday.

Hmm I dont think that would be a god enough reason not to have a theme though - all shows would have no theme if they thought that way. Far from being unnecessary, it is to a big degree what gives the show an identity..a way of finding out who is and isnt in the show.. who may be moe than just a guest artist etc.. and an enjoyable way of entering into the episode.. its impossible to tell now a days whos in, out, returning. And it seems the vast m,ajority of long term viewers would welcome back a decent theme with open arms. Personally i'd rather have the theme than endless recaps and promo's (although they come at the end of course). I dont think fastforwarding through the theme is alot of hassle really, in this day and age it would take about a second or two, even ten years ago, 20 years ago was hardly a time consuming activity! People have taped/recorded shows for years and have had no problem having the theme, I have more issue with the ads to be honest. It might depend on what era youre used to - very new fans wouldnt know any different, but of course long trm viewers remember well the good old days.

It was just a suggestion that came to mind. I'm a long term viewer as well, btw, just really don't see the fuss over theme tunes etc.

It really depends what the opening would be. If they give us a rushed 12 second opening with half the theme tune chopped, then I'd rather just stay with what we've got.

If they, like above posted suggested, had a proper 40-50 second intro once a week, and bumpers for the rest of the week, I'd be delighted.

If they had a 50 second opening every day, I'd be ecstatic, but thats never going to happen.

They should do something non-CGI, simple

OK well thanks, even though i'm sure you aren't thanking me for my own idea.

i hated that period 2007/8 when you would get weeks and weeks with nothing, and then a week with the titles shown every day, so let's have a little bit of consistency with one full set every Monday.

OK well thanks, even though i'm sure you aren't thanking me for my own idea

Huh? lol I'm agreeing with you, I didnt like the idea of having just the theme on Monday and NO teme teh rest of the week but then someone suggested having the theme on Monday and a modified version the rest of the week which I thought was a better compromise.

It really depends what the opening would be. If they give us a rushed 12 second opening with half the theme tune chopped, then I'd rather just stay with what we've got.

If they, like above posted suggested, had a proper 40-50 second intro once a week, and bumpers for the rest of the week, I'd be delighted.

If they had a 50 second opening every day, I'd be ecstatic, but thats never going to happen.

They should do something non-CGI, simple

Yeah thats true, I really like the design theyve got at the mo, I just wish theyd go for it and develop it into a proper theme. Its very annoying isnt it!

I agree its better to have what we currently have than silly poor attempts of the last few years, but I certainly hope they rethink and bring back a proper theme full time (not just Mondays - what would be the point - again it would be half hearted).

I dont think the show desperately needs a 60 second opening sequence every day. A 50/60 second version once per week (as suggested every Monday to kick start the week) and then a shorter bumper the rest of the week I'd settle for and it is surely a fair compromise?

I dont think the show desperately needs a 60 second opening sequence every day. A 50/60 second version once per week (as suggested every Monday to kick start the week) and then a shorter bumper the rest of the week I'd settle for and it is surely a fair compromise?

Anyway...

i really like the revamp of the presentation this year, new title cards before the recap and preview and the closing credits are the best in years i think.

it's funny that for so long they pumped so much money into very effects-heavy credits which the majority of people disliked, and they spend a small amount on a very tasteful, simple set of closing credits that they never planned to ever show in their home market and people [me] love them :lol: .

Archived