Annie Campbell - Charlotte Best

Cerise

Back in her own thread, not as an appendage to Jai or Romeo… and it's 8 months since that happened.

It would seem, sadly, that Annie has become at best (no pun intended) a disposable character. Any thoughts of her growing up on H&A now seem a distant hope. H&A is in desperate need of a grounded younger character to provide continuity and balance. I think Annie was the best suited (and the only one of the current cast list) to be able to provide that.

She entered as a girl used to life on a farm. Not exactly a tom-boy, but not a person you’d expect would fall over her own feet, as she did when Romeo came onto the scene (Portent of Doom ?) Annie hadn’t been a clutz before then; didn’t she help her school team win a race on the beach ? There’s also the not so small matter of her being able survive on a farm.

Charlotte has not been appreciated nearly enough, in fact she’s been derided as boring, for her natural acting style, as opposed to the usual overblown alternative. Any soap needs a balance between the two types. She was usually with older actors who played characters in her age group - yet she always held her own, and she was always believable (which is more than can be said for the recent story lines,) and watchable.

On her return from Japan I would have expected most, if not all, of the following to have been part of her return by now: -

She is pondering staying in the bay, or returning to Japan for 6 more months. There has been no hint that the school might need to discuss this with her and Irene. Oh ! I forgot… Gina’s mind is on her fancy-man, and Miles is out of his. But has Irene got no parenting skills left in her locker, especially since she seems to prefer, on balance, that Annie return to Japan ? So why does she only seem to talk with Annie, in snatched conversations, in the new-diner ? Apart that is , for the cliche ridden talk on the beach.

Why no contact with Aden, who Annie was willing to confide in just before her departure to Japan ?

Kissing: what’s this massive deal about them kissing ? Seems to have taken over most of the relationship between them. The 'old' Annie was snogging Dexter after a week or so of their relationship starting. So why is 'new - mature' Annie so hung up on this ? This fixation with R. & A. kissing - is it meant to be a metaphor for something else ? If so, it’s not working. It’s just weird. Or is it meant to be very romantic, as in 19th C. romantic novels ? News for H & A: - it’s the 21st C. That doesn’t just mean that the characters are in the 21st C. - the viewers are too.

Despite the fact that her brother left to join the church, there has been only passing mention of him, as much by Ruby as Annie.

Speaking of the church - does Annie have anything to do with it anymore ? A BIG issue that’s been ignored.

Annie as a character, and Charlotte as an actress, deserve better. Viewers deserve better too.

I couldn't agree more wit these sentiments. I had high hopes that Annie ( Charlotte ) would see a return to the show developing young talent so that it stayed with the show for an extended period.

I guess we don't know whether it was Charlotte's decision to leave. If that is the case there's not much the producers can do about it.

It's a shame that Annie's gone down this route.When she and Geoff were first introduced, there was a feeling that they could be an interesting departure from the norm if the writers were brave enough to keep them that way and not "normalise" them.While Geoff's character was tweaked a bit to allow him to do the traditional teenage boy stuff like playing sport, sleeping with girls and getting inappropriately aggressive with people he didn't agree with, they managed to keep the core of the character intact. Annie stayed even closer to her original character, resulting in her being branded dull and hypocritical because she wasn't obsessed with boys and stuck to the values she believed in.

We saw the change starting to come at the end of last year when she suddenly seemed to turn into an outrageous flirt whose world seemed to begin and end with the boy she liked, leading to horribly out of character moments like her pretending she was going to kiss him in order to make him blush.We still saw flashes of the old Annie in there:Her farewell hug to Jai, perfect in its selflessness, was a well-judged character moment that almost everyone seemed to miss.But since she's been back it seems she's gone even further down that road.Her innocent, kind, cheeky side seems to have gone and instead she has become exactly what everyone accused her of being before, dull and self-obsessed.I think almost every scene she's had since she came back has involved her and Romeo or her talking about Romeo.I'd love it if she had a moment like Geoff did before he left, when she realises she's lost sight of who she is and what used to be important to her, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• 3 weeks later...

Interview with Annie Campbell:

So Annie, a lot’s been happening to you recently, tell us about it.

Well, I’ve been to Japan on study leave for 4 months, I’ve grown up a lot and I’m in love with Romeo. And now I’m going back to Japan for another 6 months at least. And I’ve grown up a lot.

Yes, your assimilation of Japanese culture has been impressive.

Yes, I wore a Kimono style dressing gown in one scene recently..

Very Impressive..

Yes, it normally takes like even really dedicated students many years to absorb the subtleties of Japanese culture, but I achieved it by wearing a dressing gown…. once !

Do you think that fooled anyone ?

I’ve grown up a lot ! And I’m in love with Romeo !

Yes, I was going to ask you about growing up, most people were expecting a different Annie when you returned, but very little has changed has it ?

Well, I wasn’t going to cut all my hair off for a few weeks shooting if that’s what you mean.

Well it’s more than just the lack of style changes, in fact you seemed to have regressed into being a 13 year old again.

I was told to emphasise the juxtaposition of being in love for the first time, and growing up to be a tough little cookie who puts herself first.

Well, is it a juxtaposition, or just nonsensical ? Shouldn’t a grown up person be able to reconcile her feelings and her ambition with more clarity and logic ?

You just have to read between the lines.

Meaning ?

We had to get all this character and plot development crammed into 6 weeks, so it was decided to not even attempt it.

Explain please.

Fish.

Fish ? Noun or verb ?

Neither. It’s the surreal solution.

What is ?

The way that I was asked to respond to the plot developments. How else could you explain my behaviour ?

I couldn’t even begin to try… Anyway, lets go onto your change of image, or lack of it. Apart from having your hair patted down in a lot of scenes, what has been the biggest change ?

Charlie’s dresses. They make me look like a 40 year old at a wedding reception.

Is that the result you were looking for ?

Not exactly. I was hoping Charlie would notice I had stolen her clothes and arrest me.

Why ?

So that I got a criminal record and they couldn’t send me back to Japan.

And why didn’t she do that ?

I don’t know, I think they pay her to pretend to be a cop, I suspect she isn’t one really.

Any other style changes ?

Well I stole one of Charlie’s cop outfits too.

Why ?

So that I could arrest Irene for being condescending and clichéd whenever she spoke to me, and for being a neglectful foster parent.

So what happened ?

I handcuffed her to the cooker in the Diner.

Ahh yes, that would explain why she never seems to go home.

But they cut that scene, probably because I got a bit carried away using the Tazer gun.

Oh dear, how was Irene ?

They took her to the hospital.

What did they do at the hospital ?

They had to saw through the cuffs to get her off the cooker and then they said a de-greasing was needed right away.

Why would the nurses de-grease the cooker ?

Nooo.. not the cooker silly ! It’s always kept spotlessly clean ..health and safety.

Let me ask you about Romeo…

Who ?

OK let’s not. Are they replacing you with another teen character ?

Yeah, I suppose they couldn’t handle my character not being a selfish tramp. It makes life so much easier for the writers when all the teen girls are the same, so they decided that Indigo must return…

Finally Annie… religion doesn’t get a mention in your life anymore (along with Jai and Geoff) ……..is God dead ?

Don’t ask me, ask Nietzsche.

Is he on the writing team now ?

Many thanks to Annie Campbell (or someone who pretended to be Annie) for the interview.

Interview with Annie Campbell:

So Annie, a lot’s been happening to you recently, tell us about it.

Well, I’ve been to Japan on study leave for 4 months, I’ve grown up a lot and I’m in love with Romeo. And now I’m going back to Japan for another 6 months at least. And I’ve grown up a lot.

Yes, your assimilation of Japanese culture has been impressive.

Yes, I wore a Kimono style dressing gown in one scene recently..

Very Impressive..

Yes, it normally takes like even really dedicated students many years to absorb the subtleties of Japanese culture, but I achieved it by wearing a dressing gown…. once !

Do you think that fooled anyone ?

I’ve grown up a lot ! And I’m in love with Romeo !

Yes, I was going to ask you about growing up, most people were expecting a different Annie when you returned, but very little has changed has it ?

Well, I wasn’t going to cut all my hair off for a few weeks shooting if that’s what you mean.

Well it’s more than just the lack of style changes, in fact you seemed to have regressed into being a 13 year old again.

I was told to emphasise the juxtaposition of being in love for the first time, and growing up to be a tough little cookie who puts herself first.

Well, is it a juxtaposition, or just nonsensical ? Shouldn’t a grown up person be able to reconcile her feelings and her ambition with more clarity and logic ?

You just have to read between the lines.

Meaning ?

We had to get all this character and plot development crammed into 6 weeks, so it was decided to not even attempt it.

Explain please.

Fish.

Fish ? Noun or verb ?

Neither. It’s the surreal solution.

What is ?

The way that I was asked to respond to the plot developments. How else could you explain my behaviour ?

I couldn’t even begin to try… Anyway, lets go onto your change of image, or lack of it. Apart from having your hair patted down in a lot of scenes, what has been the biggest change ?

Charlie’s dresses. They make me look like a 40 year old at a wedding reception.

Is that the result you were looking for ?

Not exactly. I was hoping Charlie would notice I had stolen her clothes and arrest me.

Why ?

So that I got a criminal record and they couldn’t send me back to Japan.

And why didn’t she do that ?

I don’t know, I think they pay her to pretend to be a cop, I suspect she isn’t one really.

Any other style changes ?

Well I stole one of Charlie’s cop outfits too.

Why ?

So that I could arrest Irene for being condescending and clichéd whenever she spoke to me, and for being a neglectful foster parent.

So what happened ?

I handcuffed her to the cooker in the Diner.

Ahh yes, that would explain why she never seems to go home.

But they cut that scene, probably because I got a bit carried away using the Tazer gun.

Oh dear, how was Irene ?

They took her to the hospital.

What did they do at the hospital ?

They had to saw through the cuffs to get her off the cooker and then they said a de-greasing was needed right away.

Why would the nurses de-grease the cooker ?

Nooo.. not the cooker silly ! It’s always kept spotlessly clean ..health and safety.

Let me ask you about Romeo…

Who ?

OK let’s not. Are they replacing you with another teen character ?

Yeah, I suppose they couldn’t handle my character not being a selfish tramp. It makes life so much easier for the writers when all the teen girls are the same, so they decided that Indigo must return…

Finally Annie… religion doesn’t get a mention in your life anymore (along with Jai and Geoff) ……..is God dead ?

Don’t ask me, ask Nietzsche.

Is he on the writing team now ?

Many thanks to Annie Campbell (or someone who pretended to be Annie) for the interview.

:lol: Love it!!!

I agree with AP57 , it is very accurate, sadly!

hey guys im a huge fan of annie im so sad shes left i just hope she hasnt really left for god i know theres no menton if shes ever coming back

i cant believe there is no proper interviews with her departure and dont know why they broght her back for only 6 weeks i thought when she was coming back it was for good!!

I think Irene is a much better foster parent to Annie offscreen because, lets face it, last year H&A was all dramatic scene to the next dramatic scene and didn't show any other scenes about their lives.

But if Annie still alive from all the action that happened last year Irene must have done something right.