Just In Time... But Was It Worth It?

Guest wrongturntaken

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Aden's guilt over hurting her even if it was an accident. Not that I think he should feel guilty or want him to I just for some reason liked it.

It is so realistic for him to think that breaking up with her is the best option for her. Hope he comes to his senses soon.

This chapter might have a few mistakes but i wanted to post it before i went out, i'll read through it later and correct anything.

Thank you for all your comments and hopefully enjoy!

Chapter 15.

“Careful, mate,” a dark haired year 11 boy said harshly to Aden’s departing form, as he bent down to pick up the books that had been dropped to the floor, in the school corridor.

Aden turned around to face him with open arms, “You should watch where you’re going… mate,” he said aggressively adding the last bit sarcastically before carrying on in his path to the detention he had gotten from Miles’ earlier for not doing the work in his lesson.

“Argh,” the boy exclaimed as the books fell out of his hands again and another older boy came to help him. “Thanks.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Drew said kindly. “That guys always been a jerk,” he told him wondering what an earth Belle saw in him; he hadn’t changed a bit.

“Not always,” the young boy pondered. “He used to pick him on me all the time but he hasn’t done in ages.”

“Right,” Drew sighed disbelievingly. Everyone kept going on about this changed Aden Jefferies, but he was yet to see him.

The bell rang for lunch so Drew thought he’d go to the diner to see Leah.

“Can you take these to table five please Belle?” Leah asked Belle kindly handing her two plates.

“Sure,” Belle answered taking them carefully and placing them on the table with a smile. As she walked back toward the kitchen she saw Drew enter and she was glad her bruise, which was as she thought, now a black eye, was on the left side. She’d done her best to cover it with make up but it was still quite clearly visible, it just didn’t look as bad as it did without any.

“Hey,” he greeted her.

“Hi,” she answered walking past him and into the kitchen. When she came out again, he was leaning on the counter.

“So how’s work going?” he asked politely.

“Yeah, good, you know, it’s work,” Belle told him; writing something down on her order pad.

“What’s that?” Drew asked concernedly leaning forward as he caught sight of the bruise around her eye for the first time.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Belle answered quickly; trying to use her fringe to cover it’s visibility up as much as possible.

“If it’s nothing, then why are you trying to hide it?” he pushed.

“It’s just a bruise,” Belle told him simply.

He leant forward to stroke it with his thumb and get a better look, a gesture that would have usually had sparks emanating between them, but it was just, now, a friendly gesture.

His expression was stony, to say the least, “Did he do this to you?” he demanded.

“What?” Belle exclaimed, “No!”

“I wouldn’t be surprised, Belle,” Drew told her heatedly. “I don’t know why you think he’s changed, he’s just as bigger jerk as he ever was, especially at school.”

“What?” Belle asked; shocked and even more worried, especially now she knew the reason he used to behave like this, so what was bothering him now must be huge.

“He’s been bullying people and walking around the place like he owns it,” Drew informed her.

“Look, he’s had a rough time lately,” Belle said thinking of the news of his mother. Aden had asked her not to tell anyone and she was pretty sure he hadn’t even told Roman or Nicole either.

“Don’t defend him, Belle!” Drew exclaimed. “Especially if he did that to you,” he pointed at the bruise.

“He didn’t…” Belle said loudly but realised that was in fact a lie, “…okay, he did. But it was an accident!”

Drew was shocked; “After hearing everything that Cassie went through I would have thought you’d have been stronger, Belle! You shouldn’t have to put up with this!” and with that he stormed out of the diner, not allowing her time to explain that Aden hadn’t been in control as he had been asleep.

“Aden, sit down,” Miles told the young man calmly.

Aden did as he was told wearing a steely expression, “Yeah?” he asked rudely.

“What’s going on?”

“Why do people keep asking me that?” Aden exclaimed, “Nothing’s going on, everything’s fine! Alright?”

“Look, Aden, I’m only asking you this because I’m worried about you,” Miles told him supportively.

“Oh, gee, thanks,” Aden answered him sarcastically.

“You seemed to be getting on really well at school. Your marks were up, you were doing well in class, you looked all set to do well in your HSC exams, but over the last couple of weeks…” Miles trailed off.

“What?” Aden said plainly; oblivious to what Miles was getting at.

“You’ve been late, you’ve been rude, you haven’t turned work in on time and work that you have turned in at all has been shoddy to say the least,” Miles explained.

“So you just dragged me in here to put me down did you?” Aden said and stood up to leave. He had to catch himself on the table though as his head began to feel light and he had to lower him self back onto the chair.

Miles had noticed and had run forward to take Aden’s arm, “Are you alright?”

“Don’t touch me,” Aden said in a disturbingly calm but loud voice.

Miles backed off, “Do you want a glass of water?” he asked realising how pale Aden looked and how ill.

“No, I’m fine,” Aden answered and then added a genuine, “thanks.”

“Aden, I brought you in here to tell you that I’m concerned about your marks, especially when you’re already re-doing the year, I think you really need to crack down and start improving because there is not much time left.”

“Okay, I’ll bear that in mind. Can I go now?” Aden said wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Miles looked him up and down before nodding. He was very aware of how careful Aden was of standing up this time too and he watched as Aden lost his balance next to the door and would have fallen to the floor had he not caught himself on the handle and raised himself back up again.

“Are you sure you’re alright, Aden,” Miles asked as Aden pinched the bridge of his nose and scrunched his eyes up.

“I’m fine,” Aden told him and this time managed to walk out the door, only to be brought face to face with an incredibly angry Drew.

“What do you want?” Aden said gruffly.

“I want to know why you did it?” Drew answered; clearly suppressing his aggression.

“Did what?”

“Did that to Belle…” Drew couldn’t bring himself to say what he thought had happened.

Comprehension dawned on Aden’s face, “Did she tell you?” he asked.

“I saw the bruise.”

“…bruise?” Aden asked; shocked.

“She has a black eye; you didn’t think people wouldn’t notice did you?” Drew said aggressively. “Maybe you want to know what it feels like to have one so you know how she feels?” he said suggestively bringing his arm back.

Aden was getting increasingly angry and could feel his hand ball into a fist ready to retaliate to what he was sure was coming next. “I didn’t…” Aden tried to explain to Drew but he couldn’t seem to put the words right.

Drew raised his arm ready but Aden took one step to the side and was overcome with a wave of dizziness. This one much worse than the last, he staggered before his eyes fluttered and closed and he fell to the floor; leaving a very shocked Drew behind with his arm still in the air as though he had just drawn back from a punch.

Belle saw this as she had followed Drew here; unsure of what he was going to do. She saw Aden on the floor and ran over to his side, “What did you do?” she exclaimed worriedly looking at the unconscious Aden.

“I didn’t do anything,” Drew told her putting his arm down, “he just… collapsed.”

“He just collapsed?” Belle asked in disbelief and then realised if that were true they were in a lot more trouble. She saw Miles come out hurriedly from his class room and head towards them, “Call an ambulance!”

“What were you going to do, Drew?” Belle asked very angrily.

“He deserved to know what it feels like,” Belle told her feeling no remorse for his intended actions.

“He hit me accidentally when he was asleep Drew,” Belle shouted at him, checking Aden’s pulse and breathing which were there at least. “He would never hurt me!”

“So what’s wrong with him?” Drew decided to change the subject feeling quite stupid.

Belle continued to look at Aden worriedly, “I have no idea.”

Archived