Just In Time... But Was It Worth It?

Guest wrongturntaken

I just read through that last chapter and i'm sorry it's so rubbish, hopefully this one will make up for it...

WARNING: Hints at sexual abuse

Chapter 16.

"So what's wrong with him?" Belle asked Rachel as she came into Aden's hospital room; clutching his hand tightly.

"The short answer is… nothing," Rachel told Belle simply.

"What?" Belle said; letting go of Aden's hand and looking at Rachel.

"He was severely dehydrated so we've put him on a drip," Rachel explained.

"So why is he unconscious now?" Belle asked; she thought that there was something seriously wrong when he had collapsed and, although she was extremely relieved, she felt that Rachel had offered her no answers to her unaired questions.

"He's just asleep," Rachel told her; smiling.

Belle looked back at Aden and noticed that his hand had begun to shake and he was slowly beginning to move around more. As she watched his head moved from side to side and he looked terrified. He made both Belle and Rachel jump when he suddenly jolted forward and was immediately wide awake.

He looked around his surroundings as though looking for people but instead took in that he was in a hospital, "What happened?" he asked; out of breath.

"You collapsed from severe dehydration," Belle told him sternly. She wanted to get the message through to him that it was not okay to not look after himself.

"What, I've been drinking the same amount that I always have," Aden told them.

Rachel looked at him funnily, she could tell that there was more going on here than he was letting on, "Are you sure?"

"Well, yeah… I think," Aden said unsurely.

"How could you not know?" Belle asked him, letting out a slight disbelieving laugh.

He looked at her properly for the first time and saw the black eye he had given her, he reached out to touch her cheek and ran his thumb over the bruise, she held his hand tightly in hers, "Belle, I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault, Aden, it was an accident," Belle told him forgetting that Rachel was still in the room.

"…but it was," Aden exclaimed. "I should never have fallen asleep in the first place!"

"What?" Belle asked casually, unsure what to make of her boyfriend's exclamation that he shouldn't have fallen asleep… at night… in her bed…

Rachel looked curiously at Aden and thought of the way he had woken up earlier, he had seem frightened and shocked that he had even fallen asleep.

"Aden, when was the last time you slept?" she asked him.

"Last night," Aden told her but his answer was tentative as though it was a lie within a truth.

"…for how long?"

Aden sighed, he knew he wouldn't have been able to keep this up; he just didn't want all the memories coming back, "For like a minute I guess."

"…a minute!" Belle exclaimed. "…but you were at mine the whole night?"

Rachel ignored her, "…and before this morning, when was the last time you slept?"

Aden took a deep breath and looked at Belle; he answered Rachel slowly; sounding guilty, "Five days ago…"

"What?" Belle shouted, "Aden… five days? Why?"

"I'll leave you two alone for a minute," Rachel said; realising that the couple needed to talk privately as she exited the room.

"I guess I should've told you before, I just didn't want you to worry…" Aden started.

"…well that didn't work, do you have any idea how worried about you I've been?"

"I'm sorry," It was all Aden could say.

"Can I have an explanation?" Belle asked softly placing a hand on Aden's shoulder to show him she wasn't really mad.

Aden took yet another deep breath and didn't speak for a few good moments as Belle waited patiently for him to explain, "Belle… since we found out about my Mum… I… I… started to have nightmares," he said quietly only just loud enough for her to hear. He paused as Belle looked at him with a concerned expression. "I used to get them but I haven't really had them since I started seeing you," he gave her a gentle smile to show how grateful he was for her. "…but now… they're…" Belle could see Aden's eyes starting to well up and could hear he was having trouble talking. "They've always been more like memories than dreams, which is why I feel so…" Aden searched Belle looking for some kind of comfort as he said the next word as though ashamed, "…terrified… when I have them. Now though…" Aden broke off and couldn't look at Belle anymore as he took short breaths.

Belle looked at him warmly; tears welling up in her own eyes as she thought about what Aden was reliving, no one should have to go through that in the first place, let alone experience it over and over again. "It's okay," she soothed him, "What's different about these dreams?"

Aden looked at her face, her expression; motivating him to keep going. "It's not just Granddad anymore," Aden said quietly and bowed his head leaving a moment of silence to follow as Belle knew he would have to do this part on his own. "In the dreams, my dad… he's… he's…" Aden broke up as his tears began to get the best of him. He wiped them away quickly with a sweep of his hand, "…he's on the left of the…" Aden let loose a small sigh, "…the bed, and he's… holding me down…" Belle was horrified and her tears were now running freely down her face but she knew it was about to get worse. "…and on my right… there's this dark figure… like a shadow… and it's holding me down… and it's so strong… I fight, and I fight and I fight… but I can't get away…. And I can feel it… it's my Mum…" Aden finally looked at Belle, "…and then he comes in and… I can't get away, I'm trapped… and I try to wake up… but I can't… and then…" Belle flung herself onto the bed and held Aden as he fully broke down into her, letting loose not only the tears of pain but also the tears of tiredness that he'd been keeping in for so long.

When Aden had calmed down Belle pulled back from him, "You know that if there's anything that you ever want to talk about, I am here… always," Belle told him sincerely.

"I know," Aden nodded, "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner I just thought that…"

"…if you didn't sleep then you wouldn't have the nightmares?" Belle interrupted.

Aden nodded slowly.

Rachel knocked on the door and walked back when Belle yelled out that it was okay. She ignored the fact that Belle was on the bed in a rather unconventional manner, "Okay, Aden, I'm going to recommend that you need treatment for Sleep Deprivation."

"Like insomnia?" Belle questioned the doctor.

Rachel paused, "Sleep Deprivation is a little more serious than insomnia because it involves a complete lack of sleep. It has more to do with psychological causes so to treat it, we need to find the root cause," she informed them.

"I know the root cause," Aden told her calmly and with a small grateful smile.

"Right, then that's something you need to bring up in your counseling sessions," Rachel explained. "…you do really need to deal with this Aden; otherwise it could effect you more long term."

"I know, Rachel, thank you," Aden answered her genuinely as she left the room.

"Why didn't you bring this up in one of your counseling sessions?" Belle asked.

Aden looked away sheepishly.

"…because you haven't been going… not since…" Belle answered for herself.

"I'm sorry," Aden told her feeling very guilty after all he had put her through already.

She moved forwards towards him, "Aden… I understand," and with that she placed a gentle kiss on his lips and when they broke apart they were still fiddling with each other's hands in their laps.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived