Quick Questions

emmauk06

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

With Fin's exit, it was almost as if somebody from higher up did a stock-take and noticed that she was still there. She was emblematic of what happens when a teenage character finishes school and has nowhere to go. I think they should've had her leave with Haydn when he decided to skip town for the 2nd time. That would've added some spice to proceedings.

Haha, so true! Every 94 departure comes across like "oh it's Tina, John, Tristan's last day, let's quickly write in a little leaving do at the surf club in the midst of all the high drama plots about sausages, deb balls & netball. 1994 being such a demanding season from a storyliner's perspective and all that... 😅

I've always thought that too RE Haydn. What was the point of bringing him in for her final storyline but not linking that to her departure? Especially given their real-life status at that point.

22 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

No you didn't. Somebody referred to her as such when looking for her and nobody bothered to correct them.

I think it was that gap after Frank and before Chris

Thankyou! I actually found one of the mentions earlier, it was Louise Scott who referred to her as that when she introduced her to Sam.

I KNEW there was another use of it earlier than that. 

Actually think a nice little moment would have been for Bobby to change her name to Fisher after her divorce to Frank. Even better, after "Simpson's" return (apparently the divorce papers came through not long after then)...

Can hear 1990era Bobby now saying this to Don "(Bobby sigh noise)... it's Bobby FISHER now. Okay... sounds daggy, no offence but... I figured why would I want to still have the same dumb name as an evil jerk like Simpson when I COULD have the same name as the not as evil as everyone used to reckon Principal. Who, I guess I sort of love now... Very much".

Don (touched but usual flustering): well, I'm truly very.... Honoured. 

Bobby: I love you, Dad!" (Just grabs him and kisses his cheek). 

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why didn’t Irene ever buy Bobby's share of the Diner and become business partners with Alisa? I understand her not wanting do to it back in 1993 when Irene first started becoming are reformed person but once she had been off drink for over a few years you would think Alisa would realize Irene had fully reformed and could be trusted as business partner. 

Edited by j.laur5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Why didn’t Irene ever buy Bobby's share of the Diner and become business partners with Alisa? I understand her not wanting do to it back in 1993 when Irene first started becoming aa reformed person but once she had been off drink for over a few years you would think Alisa would realise Irene had fully reformed and could be trusted as business partner. 

The most she'd have been able to purchase pre-00 was a quarter share.

Nobody could buy the half of Bobby's share of the diner that Sam inherited until 2000 since it would have been held in trust until he turned 18. That's the way intestate law works in all common law systems, including Australia, when minors inherit from a deceased parent. But his share wasn't forgotten, hence the storyline involving Sam & the Stewarts in 00 (by which time Irene was working at the school).

Regarding Greg's share (the other half of Bobby's half): unsure what happened to this. There was talk of him selling it in early 94 to (guess who?) Irene (and, to your point, Ailsa was incredibly opposed) but he changed his mind and sold the beach house to her instead. Does anyone remember if Greg's diner share was ever mentioned again? Or do we assume that Ailsa bought him out off-screen?

Edited by nenehcherry2

20 hours ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Nick's departure was pretty lame too, especially given Bruce's 3 years service. He even commented on it in a British press article. I believe the circumstances were that he'd given notice to July (he was moving to the UK to be with his girlfriend) but they just let him go earlier with little explanation as to why. On-screen, he stops appearing after the boatshed auction and Shane confirms that he's overseas a few eps later. But no build up beforehand.

Saying that, all the 94 departure stories bar Adam's were dull. Characters deciding to leave an ep or two before final appearances. Albeit, they mostly had some kind of leaving scene. 

I always theorise that Nick secretly took off with Beth who vanished roughly around that time. Tug would have been spewing if that were the case lol

With Fin and Adam, they'd come to a natural end so lowkey was the thing, despite the former getting the Fletcher theme.

Luke was like "Whatever"

Sarah and Tug deserved better though (they got their happily ever after sometime later so that makes up for it)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

I always theorise that Nick secretly took off with Beth who vanished roughly around that time. Tug would have been spewing if that were the case lol

With Fin and Adam, they'd come to a natural end so lowkey was the thing, despite the former getting the Fletcher theme.

Luke was like "Whatever"

Sarah and Tug deserved better though (they got their happily ever after sometime later so that makes up for it)

I think poor Nick got such a bad case of the icks from Beth, it never would've worked. It was bad enough that he'd been burned by Lucinda. I wouldn't have minded seeing him ending up with Beth, despite her Tug baggage. 

Sarah in particular got a poor exit. Leaving the Stewart's on a sour note after being a generally good kid didn't feel right. At least she came back afterwards and all was well again. 

You can't really argue with Fin, Adam, Luke and Sarah being written out. Tug still had mileage in him if Tristan had been willing to stay on. It's easy to see why Bobby took him under her wing. He was quite like her in many ways, and beneath the moody exterior beat a heart of gold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2024 at 15:52, cymbaline said:

I think poor Nick got such a bad case of the icks from Beth, it never would've worked. It was bad enough that he'd been burned by Lucinda. I wouldn't have minded seeing him ending up with Beth, despite her Tug baggage. 

Sarah in particular got a poor exit. Leaving the Stewart's on a sour note after being a generally good kid didn't feel right. At least she came back afterwards and all was well again. 

You can't really argue with Fin, Adam, Luke and Sarah being written out. Tug still had mileage in him if Tristan had been willing to stay on. It's easy to see why Bobby took him under her wing. He was quite like her in many ways, and beneath the moody exterior beat a heart of gold. 

I agree 💯 RE Tug. With him, it was the age thing. He was hitting the end of year 12 and the teen gangs were about to be "recycled". As a character in a soap opera, definitely heaps of mileage left. But just not within the format of a show which was still definitively under 18s-centric and didn't have the best record of transitioning teens into adults realistically. Plus, they already had Shane and Angel staying on to turn into the next old married couple. And he was still too young to be the new teacher or doctor (unrealistic to boot for Tug!), so he'd have been repeating year 12 like a loner (alas 93 Fin) or just hanging around Alf in the store. But could definitely have turned into the next Bobby as a character. 

But, like yourself, I really liked him. And there was something about Tristan's acting (good presenter too). A shame he left the profession but clearly seems happy writing kids' books, good for him! 

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...