• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This Chapter has not been proofed

Merry Christmas everyone

enjoy :)

CHAPTER 18

Martha walked down the beach towards a lone figure sitting in the sand. It was Jack. He was hunched over, drawing little figures in the wet sand.

He was wearing the same clothes that he had when they had encountered earlier, a black t shirt which said “survivor” in silver and a pair white board shorts with a silver stripe down the left hand side.

But his hair was wet this time and Martha guessed he had gone for a swim. He looked lonely sitting there, sad even and Martha felt a deep rush of something for him. She didn’t know what it was but it was unlike anything she had ever felt.

Realising she must look silly just standing there watching him, she took a few tentative steps in his direction, then stopped. She was all of a sudden really nervous. Nervous about seeing him, talking to him… ‘Martha’ she scolded herself, ‘get a grip!’

Feeling a new rush of courage she ran the last few meters towards where Jack sat. She slowed as she neared him, taking her time to make noises with her feet, to let him know she was there.

As she took another loud step, she saw his head jolt up and she knew that he knew she was there. But he didn’t turn around. ‘maybe this is a bad idea’ Martha began thinking but didn’t let herself back out now.

Hey you,” Martha said softly, sitting down beside him.

Jack smiled softly at her before going back to his little figures in the sand. She felt the soft sand beneath her slowly sink a little under her weight.

She shifted slightly, bring her knees up to her chest and slowly rocking back and forth. She rest her head against her shoulder and looked down towards Jack’s sand artwork.

“Whatchya drawing?” she asked.

Jack didn’t look at her, he just sighed and pointed towards the main figure.

You,” he said simply.

“What are those,” she tried again pointing to the squiggly lines that surrounded her figure.

Problems,” Jack stated, still avoiding her eye, “And see that one,” he pointed to biggest line, “That’s talking about what happened.”

Martha closed her eyes, shutting them tight, determined not to let a single tear slip out.

“Stop doing that,” Jack said abruptly and Martha opened her eyes in shock, “Stop trying to close up your feelings, let them out. If you need to cry then do it! I’m so sick of you trying to do this!”

Martha looked at him, surprised at first, then she realised he was right, about everything. Not talking about it wouldn’t help her, keeping her feelings to herself wouldn’t help at all, in fact everything she had been doing for the past 6 months had just made it worse.

It had started with running away and it ended right then. At that moment Martha decided she wasn’t running away anymore, she would face her problems. She nodded softly as she felt a tear slip down her face.

Jack looked at her for a moment, then laced one strong arm around her waist, pulling her closer. Both unaware that a person watched them from afar.

Macy scowled as she saw her boyfriend and his ex who also happened to be her former friend, making getting cosy with each other.

The vibrations of her phone woke Martha from her slumber. She had somehow fallen asleep on the hammock in her back garden, the gentle rocking calming her.

Sighing she rubbed her eyes and lifted herself up, pulling her phone from her back pocket, then lay back down again.

One (1) New Message

Martha opened up the message. It was from Jack.

Hey Mackenzie wanna meet up at the bar in 15? Thought u might wanna take ur mind off things.

Jack x

Martha thought about it for a minute. Going to the bar with Jack would probably mean seeing Macy and the others.

But now things were good between Tasha and herself, maybe it would be a good chance to make things right with the others. And Jack was right, she did need to take her mind off things.

Ok, I’ll see you there.

Martha x

Jack sat at the bar, nervously tapping his phone on the bar.

“What can I get you?” The bartender asked.

“Mhmm, nothing…” Jack said, not really paying attention.

Suddenly his phone vibrated, making Jack jump. The bartender chuckled and shook his head as he walked away. Jack ignored him and picked up his phone.

Ok, I’ll see you there.

Martha x

Jack smiled, his night had just got a whole lot better.

“Jack,” Martha said smiling, as she sat down next to him at the bar, “Sorry I’m late, I lost my shoes, then I lost my bag and then I lost Macca… Jack are you alright?”

“What? Yea,” Jack said, but he couldn’t seem to take his eyes off her.

She looked stunning in a pair of jean that were tight in all the right places and a halter neck purple top with a silver necklace to finish it off. Her hair hung in loose curls, framing her face perfectly.

She wore silver earrings with small heart on them and a matching bracelet. She was the image of perfection, or so Jack thought.

“Thanks for inviting me, it’s just what I need,” Martha went on, smiling as always.

At that moment, Macy walked in followed by Shannon, Summer, Jessica and Tash. She walked straight over to Martha and tapped her on the shoulder. Surprised Martha stood up and turned around.

Macy…” she began but Macy cut her off.

“Enjoying spending some quality time with Jack, you know my boyfriend,” she spat.

“Macy…” Martha tried again but Macy wouldn’t listen.

“Shut up,” she yelled, gaining the attention of the whole room, “Just shut up. I can’t believe you would do this, I mean after everything, but even for you this is a new low.”

“Hey,” Jack stood up, “How about we talk about this calmly…”

“Don’t even try and pretend Martha, I saw you two on the beach earlier, cuddling and stuff. You really are a boyfriend stealing little bitch,” Macy cried.

“Well look whose talking,” Martha yelled, starting to get angry, “Your only with Jack because I’m not. If I had never left, we would still have been together. You’re only his sloppy seconds and you can’t handle the fact that Jack likes me better than you.”

Martha didn’t get to say anymore because Macy’s hand collided with her cheek, causing Martha to fall back on Jack. She looked up at Macy’s angry face then at Jack who looked more surprised than anything.

“You know what,” she said grabbing her bag, “You’re right. I should have never have come back.”

And with that she walked out of the bar.

NEXT CHAPTER: Macy gives Jack an ultimatum

Archived