Fanfiction Discussion & Inspiration

Guest aejdude

So what are your favourite kinds of fics? Drama, Romance, Angst, Murder..etc?

I prefer emotional fics with strong characterization but they MUST have a happy ending. I really don't like downbeat fics, they just make me feel miserable for no good reason. And I don't like fics (or H&A storylines, for that matter, I didn't watch the Stalker episodes) where everybody's being killed off! :rolleyes:

I LOVE humour :D (Eduardo Bearos All was the funniest fic I ever read and Wanda's comedy fics could be very funny at times but she doesn't post here anymore. (I also loved Wanda's Selfess Love, a fantastic emotional fic, but she never finished it :( ) Oh, yes, and it was about Kane, my favourite character, I'll always read Kane stories.

I don't read JM fics :blush:. I'm sure many of them are very good but I just don't have time to read all the fics here so I tend to be very selective and just read work by authors whose fics I've read before and enjoyed reading. :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite type of story... it varies from time to time. Like ILM, I like the emotional type, and I also like fics and books with a good message in it. I like books centered around stuff like murder, court, law, hospital, faith, hope, lies, rape, struggle etc. when set in a modern day time, where it is dealt with properly and has a really juicy story behind it. I've found myself reading a lot of books that are a mixture of a few.

I love humor, though. :D

I prefer dramatic stories, but not too dramatic. Then it becomes boring, because you know that something is bound to happen. And if it's something I don't like, then it's something that's predictable. I can't stand it. If a story becomes too predictable, I stop reading. But only for a little while, because I want to know how it ends :P

One book that I really enjoyed, was "Menn som hater kvinner." A fantastic book. Just too bad that the author is dead and he only wrote three books. :( I guess the reason that I loved it, was because it wasn't too predicable, but not too far fetched either.

So I love anything that invovles a murder and an investigation, because I enjoy trying to find those little details that'll tell me who did it. But I don't like it when the detectives are too dumb. Then it becomes annoying and ridiculous and it's not enjoyable anymore <_<

I love Angst/Romance. Something that makes me a little bit angry and wound up, a little bit too involved.... but in the end makes me sigh and smile for a while. I hate bad endings. If they bring a tear to my eye, then I'll hate and love them at the same time... but I'd rather read a happy ending than a sad ending. I HATE those "Happy sad" endings. The one where they compromise on the happy ending. Urgh, it's awful. That winds me up.

I like sentimental ones, too. Fics with meanings, as Cerise said. Where you can really get into the character, and you go through their feelings. That's brilliant stuff. But I guess that's down to the quality of the writing.

I absolutely love humour, though. If the piece isn't supposed to be serious... then it's got to be funny. Even if it's a little light comment made every now and then - it has to have it. I'll get bored if not, and reading will seem like a chore and I'll just give up. The books I do read are usually diary books. Mainly Georgia Nicolson's "Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging" or "It's OK I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers". I love those books. They just crack me up.

In fact, if there's a serious, dark piece... then it should have a little dark humour, too. Something that can make you laugh a little, or put a wry smile on your face.

I think Jem pretty much described exactly the kind of fics I love :P

Angst, drama-angst, romance-angst, drama-romance-angst... you get it :P

And a good psycho is always good.

I like fics that kinda make you think (I sound like I'm talking about great, world famous literature here) but at the same time don't go out of character. I like fics that go deeper into the characters we already know and explore sides of them we kinda see, but that aren't all obvious.

Also it's a plus if we have Jem's Pretty boy + Pretty boy combination as well :P

Okay sorry, that was a very weird post, I don't think it made a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this might be a bit of an overkill as we've just had a storyline about the Summer Bay diner falling apart, but after seeing this program on Today Tonight, last night on the deplorable state of our school's in terms of their maintenance I felt it would probably be a good idea to do a similar story surrounding Summer Bay High School with Miles and a number of the students whereby Miles starts noticing some cracks in the walls at Summer Bay High School as the result of a termite infestation problem, among other maintenance faults in the classroon making it a safety hazard for teachers and students alike, and goes to run it past the Principal, Martin Bartlet, who along with the Administration Department chooses just to sweep the matter under the carpet as Bartlet is affraid that coming out and exposing the truth about what's really going on at the High School in terms of maintenance and the lack of Government Funding they're receiving in order to fix the problem, in the case it may damage his reputation as Principal of Summer Bay High and paint him in a bad light.

I could call this fan fic : "SUMMER BAY HIGH IS FALLING DOWN"

So what are your favourite kinds of fics? Drama, Romance, Angst, Murder..etc?

I love anyting with heavy drama, melodrama, light drama, comedy-drama (can you see a theme? :lol:) oh, and anything by Jem :lol:

Oh, and Eli, I get what you're saying, it made a whole lot of sense.

:lol:

I hadn't realised you hadn't finished any ongoings until I read that, I then went through NDL and confirmed this, well, well done for having so many fantastic incomplete fics - I loved your last one by the way, A Simple Misunderstanding or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking in work today (well, I was working at the same time - okay, don't believe me then! - :rolleyes: but it was pretty boring, just data input :P ) about what any other fanfic authors' favourite fic is out of those they've written. For myself, I have a soft spot for Always and Forever because everyone seemed to love that and I guess promises to keep had its moments but my own personal favourite is Sally Called! because all I ever knew about that fic was that Milco was going to be kidnapped and what the last couple of lines of the story were going to be - plus I didn't know ANY of the earlier characters but I ended up knowing them quite well. So, yeh, I was really proud of that. :)

What's everyone else's faves out of their own work? Kat, if you're reading, I'd choose Return to the Bay for yours, what about you...?

Archived