Fanfiction Discussion & Inspiration

Guest aejdude

Oh yes! Please do report it! I'm shamefully gullible as well, so if someone tells me they're not spamming and I don't have a second opinion on the matter, I'll probably just say "Okay :)." That's part of the reason this agitates me so much, because I really can't tell the difference <_<

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicole's confused by the long explanations and good points.

I agree with you all, which is confusing the hell out of me. lol.

Um, I can see how the Fan Fiction part is HAA related, but there are others that are much more HAA related without post counts.

I don't know what to think... I'm 90% sure that you guys with the long posts meant 'No'. Right? lol.

lol Nicole! The people with long posts and good points weren't necessarily saying no, more giving their views on the fanfiction section. I think we're all agreed that no-one wants the fanfic forum to be used to bump post counts and anyone who thinks a member is doing that, should say so. Other than that we hadn't really decided on anything!

Mmm.

I think that would annoy me MORE than people not commenting, that is, not bothering to read, but posting. Yet, on the other hand, I never give feedback, not much of it anyway, just say great job. I feel mean when I tell people they need to include better SPAG, I just feel mean for some reason, and I'm always worried they'll take it the wrong way! Yes, I am a stupid little girl, if you're wondering! :P I do enjoy feedback on my fics though, I never thought about it that way.

I dunno. I guess people really can just say 'nice chapter' or something to get their posts up. But, in another way, I do that, because those excellent fic writers don't have anything WRONG with it! MAybe just a nice "I liked how you...etc." would be better!

My post was made of nothing^^ :D

No it wasn't. You raised a point I've mentioned more than once in this thread. You don't necessarily have to criticise a story to comment on it. Why not just pick out one or two lines you particulary liked or a couple of things they did really well whether its funny dialogue, good description, a really nice pairing etc. That sort of review is more beneficial because writers at least know what they're doing well, if people get what I mean.

I just found the review framework we used for reviews in the fanfiction challenges and I was thinking of posting a version (maybe edited) on the top of the forum just so people have some things to think about when reviewing a story. I know a lot of time people don't have time to review a story in detail but even if they only picked out one or two aspects of the framework to comment on it might mean authors getting better reviews and a slowdown in the 'that's great' for post count purposes. This would be a way of saying a story's great but also saying why its great which in my view is much more beneficial to writers. Nobody's saying you have to go into detail, just maybe think on a couple of the framework suggestions.

I'll post the framework here so everyone can see it. Thanks to Jess (sevenpudds) for devising it and let me know if you think pinning it is a good idea or not.

Review Guidelines

Here are some questions you might consider when reviewing each story.

1. Was the character believable? Were you able to picture it in your mind and hear the character saying things? Do you feel that the author managed to tap into the character to make it their own? Was the interaction between the characters (if applicable to the story) believable?

2. Were there any lines or moments that stood out to you? Why did they stand out?

3. Did the author use descriptive language and/or emotive language to draw you into the story?

4. Overall, was the story appealing to you? Why/Why not?

5. What do you feel could be improved by the author? Do you have any suggestions for them?

Archived