Phobias

Guest Tamxxx

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I might try those. Anything is worth it if it keeps a few away. :)

Well I'm feeling calmer now, although I'm still feel like there are spiders crawling on me.

I do wonder though, how I came to be so scared of them. Maybe it's because of something that happened when I was small, or maybe it was influenced by my mum being terrified of them. Because apparently when I was small I used to pick them up no problem. And considering my brother is terrified too, it probably was growing up with my mum's fear of them. (Although she's much better now, since she can actually get rid of them and be relatively calm. She can also touch small ones... )

But also there's this theory that it might have been to do with evolution, isn't there? Because I mean, so many of us are scared of them or don't like them, although in varying degrees. And apparently monkeys are scared of them too... Which is interesting because monkeys are some of the creatures most genetically like us from the animal kingdom. To me that kinda suggests that it might be a natural ingrown fear, or at least, one that can be activated very easily if you, say, have a bad experience in your childhood.

I reckon phobias are inevitably caused in childhood. Babies are naturally curious about the world and will try to eat/touch anything without understanding danger. But if they see Mum/Dad being scared by something harmless like a spider then they pick up on their fear.

And something traumatic in your childhood will always affect you. I remember when I was about 2 being really scared when I saw a tiger in a zoo because it looked so fierce. I think that's why I've always been wary of large dogs, it reminds me of that moment. I don't know why I'm scared of wasps (well, yeh, I do, they sting! :P ) but it's probably from some scare in childhood that I don't remember.

I have a phobia of creepy crawleys, including spiders, cockroaches and lizards. And there is a massive lizard in the downstairs of my house, and i am really hungry, but i am not going downstairs until my dad comes home and finds it and gets rid of it. I almost had a heat attack when i saw it, like the cockroach in my bathroom the other day, i refused to enter my bathroom until that cockroach was gone. Everytime i see a creepy crawley, my heart starts racing and i really freak out, like i am now.

I really don't like sharp knives.

When my sister and I were little she used to pick up the really sharp knives and hold them above my head.

Ever since then I am really paranoid when I'm around sharp knives, not so much that it might slip but that someone might attack me with it.

My worst nightmare is to get stabbed in the back with a sharp knife.

i am afriad of hights, the weird thing is when i'm in a airplane i have no problems.but mountains, or even a chair horrible!!!

i've also always been afraid of spiders, don't really know why. i find them really grose.

I have a complete and utter terrifying phobia of fire. can't go near it - cant take candles. dont cook on gas rings etc.

I'm afraid of the dark, spiders / small creepy things / with wings, and lifts, but I'm overcoming the lifts one now, and plan to overcome the others.

I wouldn't even know where to start with getting used to fire though :(

Archived