Latest UK Episode Discussion (2006-2017 Seasons)

liam99998204

5 hours ago, Changelo shipper <3 said:

1. TPTB - The Powers That Be. 2. Have you never come across that before? 3. Way shorter than typing the writers every time. 4. Did I not just convey how much the writers are powerful - completely apt. 5. They have all the power. 6. Sometimes they misuse it.

1. Grammatically, it should probably be TPtB as the 'that' would likely not be capitalised by most.

2. You're taking the mickey, right?

3. Writers generally don't get that much input into the actual plotting/storylining process of an episode.

4. No.

5. No.

6. No.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Changelo shipper <3 said:

I'm not just bitter about Nate's departure but for the record did TPTB really have to screw it up sooooooooo badly?? I submit the writers planned for this. They were giving the couple issues weeks before they sent Nate away. Tori wanted to do long distance. Why is that so impossible??? Nate's moving to Sydney not the USA for crying out loud. Yeah yeah yeah I hear ya!!! I never said forever. For just one month. One month!!! That way Nate gets a relationship that actually lasts within his existence on H&A and he didn't just throw away what he fought so hard for just as soon as "something better" came along. All of us shippers get to have the knowledge that our fave couple really tried and a goodbye kiss wouldn't have gone amiss either and Tori doesn't get left behind and start thinking she has feelings for ugh grooooss Ash!!!! EVERYBODY WINS!!!!!!!! Then down the track Nate and Tori make a mutual decision together that the long distance isn't working out so that's the end there - Aaahh blessed closure (of which I still don't feel like I've had any). I don't blame Kyle Pryor for leaving. I never said that. This mess is not his fault at all. I'm just saying TPTB screwed up really really bad there. You think they invested in the couple too? Well they sure had a funny way of showing it. :angry: Anyhow onto H&A as a show...

Well where do I even start with the shambles... Baseless?? Baseless??

When Phoebe said to Tori "Is that a hickey?" after Tori'd come out of the lift with Nate... I have studied that scene - NO HICKEY. WHAT??? It's in the script people. If you're not gonna instruct the makeup department that's something they need to deal with there's no reason to put that line in Isabella Giovinazzo script is there. :rolleyes: 

Like me someone else noticed Tori had cut her hand when Ash touched her and she went all funny - again YUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!! but then Leah was putting a plaster on her finger. WHAT???

When Tori thought Nate was gonna dump her before Phoebe and Justin's Going Away Party she said to Justin "You gave me some tough love about Nate last week..." Again I have studied this scene multiple times and my conclusion is still that it was yesterday at most so....

I've already explained how I think TPTB screwed up Nate's exit so bad and baseless? You want baseless? How about Ash and Tori for baseless? She spent an hour or so with the guy one afternoon and suddenly she has feelings for him?? Look Nate left. I unfortunately know what the routine is. If I thought Tori was moving on to a man who can match her I'd be more happy. Someone on Instagram said they think "the show just seem to be pairing up everyone with whoever is left on the show and not by who will actually have a suitable on-screen relationship". Yuuuup too right sadly. That isn't gonna work out in the long term. Makes me maaaaaaaaaad and especially that they're doing it to my long term favourite character Tori.

I'm mad for a lot of reasons - this thing with trASH is just the most recent issue in a long line of issues I've always been able to overlook but I just can't anymore. Tori was always the reason I was watching H&A!! Well Nori, Nate, Tori. Now Nate's gone just Tori but they're messing with her now too. Ggggggggrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

TPTB - The Powers That Be. Have you never come across that before? Way shorter than typing the writers every time. Did I not just convey how much the writers are powerful - completely apt. They have all the power. Sometimes they misuse it.

Like I said thank goodness for the actors coz all too often it's not like anyone else is good at their job.

Who said I wanted to achieve anything? I just wanted to say how I think the actors are good on this show but beware of everything else coz the quality there comes and goes. I wanted to express my frustrations. I wasn't expecting any comeback on that. Look I watch a TV show and I want everything to make sense. What is so wrong with that??

I certainly didn't mean to upset you by posting what I did; I simply wanted to respond about the inaccuracies. All fan feedback is appreciated... but there are just some fundamental things that you're misjudging. I am fully aware what TPTB means. But it's used - more often than not - as some sort of all-encompassing description... There are MANY TPTB. Network Executives, Advertisers, Executive Producers, Producers, Script Producer, International Buyers (etc.) - so trotting out TPTB as the blame-taker for everything is ill-informed. I guess that was my point in that regard. Following on from this, the notion that the "writers are powerful - completely apt. They have all the power. Sometimes they misuse it." is again absent of fact. There are more moving pieces than I can tell you that go in to every decision: "They have all the power" (re: writers) is light-years from accurate. Certainly in the Australian television industry. But, anyway... Thanks for watching the show. Best wishes.

I am still not sure what to make of the Astonis - Ben.Maggie really annoyed me this episode. Whereas Ziggy has suddenly gone from one dimensional bratty to somewhat more likeable. I am with you, Slade. It really annoyed me how Ben and Maggie just walked to the back of the diner. It just shows no courtesy or respect (as a landlord you can't just turn up to your properties unannounced - you still need to inform your tenants). And their attitude at the lunch just stinks. They have talked about moving to Summer Bay and being part of the community. And yet, have waltzed in, without really considering how any changes might affect said community. Their comment about how small towns don't like change was so patronising. They can't appreciate that Leah, Alf and Irene depend on their businesses as their livelihoods and might be anxious about anything they feel might jeopardise it. It is one thing to start a boutique shop, but it is quite another to expect Leah and Irene to give up some space from their Diner fora boutique shop (that they will not be benefit them from a business sense) While I think it is better not for Ziggy to start anything with Brody (he kinda needs to be focusing on his recovery right now, I am surprised by how quickly Ziggy changed her tune re: Brody. I did like Irene's comment about addicts not being bad people- a nice reminder that Irene herself has struggled with addiction. 

John and Peggy were hilarious. And I presume this Wally person is whom Peggy suspects is Hunter's father. 

Those remarks - boy/lad - made me think who?:rolleyes:  Hunter and VJ are boys, well young men really just 18, but to the older residents they are boys.  Brody is a man, a young man, but  he's in his 20's! Brody is 5/6 years older than Ziggy which would be worry enough for any parent but the fact he is a (new) recovering drug addict and not just any drug but Ice.  As it always is in soaps Ben & Maggie decide on the 'you are to stay away from him choice'.  This never, never works.  I didn't buy her telling Ben she'd decided to stop seeing him after she found out about the Ice. She may be wayward but she is no idiot and wouldn't get involved with someone who is still on the stuff. The kiss was a bit unexpected but they can take it slowly, but at least Brody knows she does like him more than just a friend. I did smile at Brody's 'we can't tell Justin, he'll go on one' then the moment he walks in the door  and sees their faces they tell him.:)  Was it Brod's idea for let Zannis  think he was also being arrested or something Kat came up with?  A good show was put on, Justin, Mason and Tori were fooled, hope Zannis was as well, I don't think he's that big a cog in the wheel despite his bluster.

Ziggy and Coco are like most teenagers kicking up when their folks tell them what to do, but probably secretly glad they care enough to do just that.  Also Ziggy and Coco are just a lot of sisters fighting one moment and thick as thieves the next plotting against their evil parents who won't let them do what they want, never listen to them etc. etc. What is coming up with VJ and Coco has raised the question jut old is she, she's obviously under 16 but it looked like Raffy was encouraging her to let VJ think she was.  He may be 3/4 years older but if she is 14 it's a big gap. Don't see why she shouldn't be is Salt as long as she isn't drinking unless she was of course and she's told VJ she is 18 which is a stretch. VJ tells Leah he's meet someone but wait until she finds out who that someone is seeing how down she is on the Astoni's.

Ash didn't see it (or may have chosen not to) but Kat spotted Tori's obvious feelings for him. Tori's OTT denials confirmed it, good idea on Kat's idea he back off and not ask her to baby sit  so giving  her space which may help her to get over her crush.

The reason why I think Leah is so down on the Astoni's is embarrassment.:blush: She gives Ben the once over only to get caught by Maggie who announces he's her husband and wasn't at all bothered another woman thought her husband was a bit of all right. To me it proved Ben & Maggie have a strong marriage which would have reminded Leah of her failed one.

That of course moves us onto' the meeting'.  Like Leah and Alf not knowing who had outbid them, the Astoni's didn't know who they had outbid, sounds like it was a secret or closed bids Only two parties interested? Wise move by Alf of getting to know them, sadly it backfired, as Ben & Maggie are/will be their landlord/lady and wanting to start off on  a good foot.  Bit of an insulting remark that the bait shop looked a bit dated and the Diner kitchen isn't that big now so can't see how making it smaller will help anyone. not just Leah and Irene who would be affected there's their staff to think about. Roo may have been on board about having a swim wear boutique but how many other women in the bay would frequent it?

Wow didn't take long for Peggy to turn into Flirty Gertie and John was doing his fair bit until Hunter in  a round about way reminded him he was married.   One thing came out of it John reminding Gertie (sorry Peggy) that John was like Wally who used to live next door, thinking Hunter knew him then saying he and his wife moved out the year he was born cue light bulb moment.  I could be totally way off but supposing, I'm guessing  he is an older man, and that after Charlotte had broken up with Zac for the final time he came round and um comforted her, gave her  a cuddle, they had a drink and they ended up in bed. He may have always fancied her and have been a bit of a letch even. Charlotte either had no idea it could have been him, having only recently slept with Zac or had her suspicions and didn't want it to be him. There is the possibility he's not still alive.

Doesn't the surf club sell swimwear? It did when it was first refurbed.

I can understand Roo being more receptive to change, having lived in New York for 20 odd years.

As for taking space from the Diner kitchen, I think it was just the store room they were talking about, but even so. 

So, is Scarlett's dream of Max's fate meant to be what actually happened: He fell out of a tree when she was meant to be looking after him? Writing herself off on the anniversary is one way of dealing with it but not really advisable and makes me wonder if she's had problems with drink in the past, given her initial empathy with Brody's addiction.The last scene really didn't work, it was too big a jump on every level, both tonally and in terms of character.It seems unlikely Justin would take advantage of Scarlett in that state but if he just took her back to his to sleep it off, then why is he so cheery instead of being more concerned and why is he wandering around in his boxers at a time when he should be at work?And what happened to her clothes..?

I'm cutting Coco and Raffy some slack because they're both young and probably not thinking things through: Raffy just wants to cheer Coco up and Coco's just enjoying a good-looking older boy talking to her. But really, VJ's bound to find out the truth eventually and he's probably not just going to shrug it off and carry on seeing her...even though Hunter encouraged him to do something similar.(To be fair, he's not outright lying and he would be about the age Coco's meant to be, given that he should have left school by now if not for reasons.)I don't tend to go in for crystal-balling of promos, since they tend to be out of context, but I'd imagine Coco hiding from Ben in Salt is because she doesn't want him to see her with VJ and tell him how old she really is.

Nice that despite being a convert to Saint Hunter, Peggy is waspish enough to point out he's no right to judge others.Slightly amusing how desperate the show is to show he's "changed" by having him do the opposite of last time, when he did just turn up on Zac's doorstep (with a petrol bomb) and do his best to ruin his life and break up his marriage.Is it really as easy to find someone's address as Olivia makes out? Hunter saying they should do that before writing the letter seems quite sensible.(And look, he and Hunter have the same haircut! It must be right this time!)

Well I'm clearly the laughing stock. Glad I made you guys all laugh out loud so much. By you guys I mean everyone who's taken me up on stuff and liked those people's replies. I see you.

Hey look my mistake: We're all watching the same show so I thought I'd be able to come here and get some things off my chest. Find some support or something like that maybe. My bad.

You really do need to calm your posts down. You're finding the most minor things to get worked up over and your posts are coming across as aggressive and pernickety.
They're not all little things plus why shouldn't I notice the little mistakes in a TV show that's international. If I was someone who had overall responsibility for the final look I'd make sure every single scene was absolutely water tight. But there is one pretty big issue I'm still hung up on, well two issues that are linked - the writers, ... all those guys in that list, TPTB usually means writers but maybe it does encompass all those people I'm really not bothered, look maybe TPTB as a whole have control over the stories we see on our screens. The stories/scripts would be what I have the issues with the most often I guess.

I'm sorry I don't watch this show like all you guys - without getting emotionally involved. Oh wait I'm NOT.

Maybe I was taring everything with the same brush. I don't know all the thousands of people who are involved besides the obvious - I don't need to.

3. Writers generally don't get that much input into the actual plotting/storylining process of an episode.
Well then who does?? The actors? The characters? The wardrobe department? I'd like to have more input. You know I don't need to know I was just trying to say it makes me angry when the team - whoever screw over my favourite characters.

Oh and that hickey is not there. If it is the case that you need to have your face right up to the screen to see it what the heck is the point of that?? Everyone knows what hickeys are and what they look like. All I'm asking is that the editing decision or whatever, makeup reflects this obvious statement by Phoebe.

Way to make a person feel unwelcome everyone. Good job! I don't come here very often but it'll be even less now/not at all. I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

Well this apology was going alright I guess until the end part.

13 hours ago, Dan Bennett said:

I certainly didn't mean to upset you by posting what I did; I simply wanted to respond about the inaccuracies. All fan feedback is appreciated... but there are just some fundamental things that you're misjudging. I am fully aware what TPTB means. But it's used - more often than not - as some sort of all-encompassing description... There are MANY TPTB. Network Executives, Advertisers, Executive Producers, Producers, Script Producer, International Buyers (etc.) - so trotting out TPTB as the blame-taker for everything is ill-informed. I guess that was my point in that regard. Following on from this, the notion that the "writers are powerful - completely apt. They have all the power. Sometimes they misuse it." is again absent of fact. There are more moving pieces than I can tell you that go in to every decision: "They have all the power" (re: writers) is light-years from accurate. Certainly in the Australian television industry. But, anyway... Thanks for watching the show. Best wishes.

Please don't take this as me ganging up on you, I just want to help make things a bit clearer as I'm not sure how clear what has been said to you is.

I think what is being said is that what you're blaming on the writers, who just write individual episodes (dialog), should probably be aimed at the story team, who plot what is going to happen through the year, then in each episode.

The writer then gets an outline of what happens in the episode and turns that into dialog, so what each character says, so the brief from the Story Team could say that Alf & Justin have a disagreement over Scarlett, but then the writer turns that into Alf calling Justin "You flamin' mongrel" etc...

I'd recommend listening to the latest Neighbites from Neighbuzz Podcast in which Dan Bennett explains this quite well.

11 hours ago, Changelo shipper <3 said:

Well I'm clearly the laughing stock. Glad I made you guys all laugh out loud so much. By you guys I mean everyone who's taken me up on stuff and liked those people's replies. I see you.

No, you're not a laughing stock at all.  Not IMO anyway.  I can understand the getting annoyed because although not the same, I often get annoyed with a lot of posters in this forum (Just look at some of my responses to some people in my previous posts).  I personally will avoid making comments about the people who run the show simply because I don't know the fully story of what happens behind the scenes and it's difficult to imagine how hard it must be to do their jobs.

I really enjoyed the scenes with Raffy and Coco.  Good that she now actually has a friend rather than veering between the Morgans and Marilyn/John.  Even though it's dishonest I quite liked Raffy's level of plotting.  As I said before she's a very smart girl.  I wouldn't have come up with the whole French tutor thing so quickly.  Part of me is actually hoping something does happen with VJ and Coco, don't really care about the age thing.  I'd like to think at some point it will be "who's Billie".  Also I suspect this will also tick Maggie off too.  Hunter's comment about Coco being Doogie Howser with regards to them thinking she was going to uni at such a young age made me laugh.

Justin annoyed me when he jealousy told that guy to back off after he tried to hit on Scarlett at Salt.  So what if he's only after one thing.  It's for Scarlett to decide whether or not that's what she wants.

Not just soaps that make continuity mistakes, it happens all the time, no-one is perfect. Some are so glaring everyone spots them, others are more subtle and only someone who knows these things would spot them. For instance a while back in Corrie there was a notice on  an office wall talking about stationary which so patently should have been stationery!!!!!! That was props department fault.

Not sure Justin was particularly being jealous when he warned that guy off Scarlett, to me he was looking out for her, she'd had quite a bit to drink so her judgement would have been impaired so could have got herself into real trouble. Justin obviously decided against taking Scarlett back to her van seeing the state she was in and thought she'd be better at his where other people would be around. I don't believe he did sleep with her, he doesn't come across as a guy who would take advantage of a drunk woman.  It was different with Phoebe, they were both drunk. Maybe he's winding her up but she clearly thinks they did the deed as she tells Roo.  If her dream was what really happened what an awful thing to happen seeing your son die in front of you. It has only been a year so still raw and more so if she blames herself.

I liked Raffy and Coco's talk on the beach and just like her relationship with Hope, when she thought she was her sister and how they fought they did love each other as Coco and Ziggy do.  Raffy's idea is bound to backfire, still no mention of how old Coco actually is.  There is a spark between her and VJ though he would back off if she is underage. As predicted Leah isn't happy, guess she must have found out Coco's real age and blaming her for leading VJ up the garden path.

So Wally isn't a much older man as in her dad's age, but still would been older than Charlotte.  Peggy seemed to change her opinion of him saying one moment he was a bit of a lad, then later saying her was a good man, despite cheating on his wife, then doing a runner. Assuming Wally is on any social pages, he does have that old photo and he does look like Hunter.  That is going to be one tricky letter to write - 'Hi I believe you used to know my grandparents and my mum 18 years ago' what next 'btw I think you may be my dad?'  You're right Red you don't put that much detail on your FB or whatever page or at least you are warned not to.  Hunter turned up at Zac's last time with petrol bomb because Charlotte had told him Zac had abandoned them and didn't want to know them. Peggy has told him, as far as she knows, like Zac, Wally didn't know she was pregnant. No reason why Peggy didn't spot the likeness before if she hadn't looked at the photos for a while.

Archived